I miss the west

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

I miss the west

Postby jkav » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:00 pm

I fell in love with the west during my six years in Utah, and I'm missing that part of the country now more than ever. I was lucky enough to explore most of the country west of the Rockies while I was out there, from Glacier Park to Bryce Canyon, Cheyenne to Portland.

I miss the wilderness, the distance, the clear air and clean water. There's almost something spiritual about it. I felt so moved just sitting on an outcrop of rock at Glacier Park and taking it all in. Anyone else know what I mean?
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Re: I miss the west

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:30 am

Yes, I grew up in Mississippi and I am now living in Olympia, Washington? Did you ever make it to Washington?

I love the rain and the fresh clean air that we breathe. Washington has hiking, biking, skiing, you name it. The views are magnificent. While Mississippi....everything is pretty flat.

Come back to the west!!!
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:48 am

Right on! The only eastern state I've been to is Florida. Flat as a pancake....how boring.

Yellowstone gets all the good press, but I found Glacier park had more jaw dropping beauty. I've only seen the ugly parts of Utah, but I know from reading that the south is where all the fun is. Portland, Vancouver and Seattle are all gorgeous.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:47 am

olywaguy wrote:Did you ever make it to Washington?

I've been to Washington twice, but only to the area between Greater Seattle and the border. I wanted to take the ferry that goes up to Ketchikan from Bellingham, but I didn't plan it beforehand and ran out of time. Next visit, though!

Earl Butz wrote:Yellowstone gets all the good press, but I found Glacier park had more jaw dropping beauty.

Yes, Yellowstone is nice, but for me, the real wonder in that area is 20 minutes south of Yellowstone, at the oft-forgotten Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Being an off-the-trail kind of guy, I found it a much better experience. But you're right, Glacier National Park has a aesthetic charm that is like nowhere else I've ever been. It's a shame that by the time I could take my niece and nephews to see it, the glaciers might all be gone.

Earl Butz wrote:I've only seen the ugly parts of Utah, but I know from reading that the south is where all the fun is.

Utah is wonderful at the very top, the very bottom, and along the border with Colorado. Aside from that, it looks like a snow globe someone had filled with dirt by mistake. Bear Lake on the Utah-Idaho border had water unlike any blue I'd ever seen. And in the south, there are five (count 'em, five) national parks. I'd take Bryce Canyon over Grand Canyon any day.

olywaguy wrote:Come back to the west!!!

I want to, so much. Four years ago, I had the opportunity to accept a scholarship at a small college in Montana, and for family reasons, I passed it up. That's where I'm focusing my energy on getting back to.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Hey Jay--welcome back!

I live in the Pacific Northwest as well, on the other end of the Sound from Carlos. It's beautiful country up here.

Just spent four days on the OR coast with my partner, not doing a great lot except listening to the constant roar of the surf (and blowing too much money shopping, of course--Oregon is a sales-tax-free state).
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks, Brandon. It's nice to read up on what been going on since I was around last.

Four years ago, I won a scholarship to a small college in Montana, and for family reasons, I decided to turn it down at the last minute. While I don't think that was the wrong thing to do at the time, I'd like to give it another go. Timing is everything, so I can be patient, but it's been at the forefront of my thoughts for a while.
jkav
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure