Gay Heaven on Earth

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Gay Heaven on Earth

Postby catapult » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Not just travel, but where are the best Gay places to live.

Not just for action but for Community. (If there is such a thing anywhere. If there is, it would be Gay Heaven on Earth.)

For 20-30 somethings?

For 40-50+ somethings?

For all ages?

Thanks!
catapult

Re: Gay Heaven on Earth

Postby butch » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:14 am

catapult wrote:Not just travel, but where are the best Gay places to live.

Not just for action but for Community. (If there is such a thing anywhere. If there is, it would be Gay Heaven on Earth.)

For 20-30 somethings?

For 40-50+ somethings?

For all ages?

Thanks!

I suggest Amsterdam.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:16 am

Key West, Florida, or so I'm told.......
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:42 am

According to the internet:
1. San Francisco
2. Sydney, Australia
3. New York
4. Mykonos, Greece
5. Paris
6. Barcelona
7. Amsterdam
8. London
9. Copenhagen
10. Berlin

So depends on where you'd like to live, I know i wouldn't want to live in NY.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Toronto, Canada!!!! Great community, gay friendly city and country.Gays are allowed to marry here and even encouraged to start families as many have. Family sevices openly recruit gay couples to adopt too.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:25 pm

nimby wrote:Toronto, Canada!!!! Great community, gay friendly city and country.Gays are allowed to marry here and even encouraged to start families as many have. Family sevices openly recruit gay couples to adopt too.

I have to admit Toronto is a pretty cool city. Freeze your balls off in January and sweat like crazy in July-Aug but a very gay friendly and hip city... a small version of NY city without the problems.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 am

Provincetown, Massatooshitts. Very liberal state.

Vancouver, if you don't mind paying a million dollars for a house. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 am

Earl Butz wrote:Provincetown, Massatooshitts. Very liberal state.

Vancouver, if you don't mind paying a million dollars for a house. :P

Or $1,200 a month and up for a one bedroom apartment. A lot of gay men are moving to the suburbs, particularly New Westminster (20 minute skytrain ride away from downtown). I've heard it's becoming very gay out there.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby nickg77 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:41 am

I really like the Dutch people because they are very open minded and due to this I am of the opinion that Amsterdam is the best place to live if you are gay. I already lived there for half a year. I can really recommend the Apartments in Jordaan. In the long term I will definitely try to go back to the Netherlands and live there because for me personally it is the best place.
nickg77

Postby Donovan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Since no one posted any Asian cities, I will do the honor:

Bangkok and most islands in Thailand are pretty gay friendly. Their family value may still be conservative, but they are very friendly toward gay foreigners. I have been there 3 times in the last 3 years, and I see gay couples showing affections in public. They don't like their own gay/transvestite culture, but somehow they have no problem with gay foreigners. Plus, they have some of the world's best beaches and night clubs, and if you are not into the club scene, a multitude of UNESCO historic sites and natural wonders are there for you to expolore. If that is still not enough, then hit some of the greatest shopping malls, night market and spa. Anyway, this will keep you busy in Thailand even after marriage as most gay couples don't have kids.

Many foreigners, gay and straights alike, find it easy to relax on a beach in Thailand.

Shanghai and Beijing is also quite gay-friendly, more so than you would have thought. I was there in 2009 and 2010 and was amazed to find that every gay club and bar in Shanghai was filled to capacity almost every weekend (not that I go there every weekend, only 3 weekends, but you get the idea :oops:, ) . And that's because many straight people go there too, and they are friendly toward gays. As for Beijing, the most memorable example was that I once saw two guys sitting on a bench near the Forbidden City while still wearing their police uniform (but they're off-duty I assume). One guy had his arm wrapped around the other guy and his hand caressing the other guys' chest with so much love in his eyes. The other guy was kind of shy and signalled to him that people were looking, and then the first guy chose to sit even closer to him and hugged him even tighter. :lol: Anyway, after living in China for 4 months, my experience was that the "government" is not yet ready to be gay-friendly, but most "people" are.

An ad for a Gay cruise party in Shanghai. The boat cruises down the city's Huangpu River with a dramatic backdrop of the city's glitzy skyscrapers on one side of the river and historic European mansions on the other.

These 3 cities are very cosmopolitan, so many people can speak English. If your skill is demand here (or if you have USD $2M), I think living there for most of you is not a problem. :wink:

~ Donovan
The essence is not in the details, but in one's intentions. I may be a bit rough around the edges, but I have good intentions.
Donovan

Postby edu999 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:09 pm

The gay community in San Francisco is a potent political force, and most of the city is very open and accepting, but it still seems like you'd turn fewer heads if you were to kiss your boyfriend in public in Manhattan. Dunno.
edu999

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure