Holiday Plans

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Holiday Plans

Postby olywaguy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:29 am

Well Monday, October 12 marks two holidays...Columbus Day and Canadian Thanksgiving.

I doubt many Americans will be celebrating Columbus Day unless they are of Hispanic origin. So, to our Canadian friends, what are your plans for Thanksgiving? What is the story behind the Canadian Thanksgiving?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Holiday Plans

Postby batty » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Here, Thanksgiving (we don't call it "Canadian thanksgiving") celebrates the end of the plentiful harvest and marks the end of all the fresh local produce. Peaches, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, pears... Of course there are still apples, pumpkins and all those squashes. It's a good time for a Holiday as it's still nice outside (trees haven't shed their leaves yet), it really is in the middle of Fall and it's pleasant to actually be outside. However there won't be any Turkey or pumpkin pie for me.. I'll actually be working it this year. Thanksgiving is also conveniently celebrated a month after Labour Day and a month before Remembrance Day (although I doubt this had any bearing on it becoming a statutory holiday). Also because it is always celebrated on a Monday. There is no such thing as "Black Friday" here. Mind you, the "christmas stuff" is already out in stores... :roll:

While it's still a time that people gather up with their family, it's definitely taken less seriously (as a Holiday) than the American version of Thanksgiving.
batty

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:36 am

Pleasant outside? It was 20 degrees F with a stiff breeze today.... :evil:

Hence the earlier harvest up north....we aren't having turkey either but did buy a pumpkin pie. True it is more low key than the U.S. Thanksgiving. No parades or hordes of Christmas shoppers yet. (thankfully)
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 pm

I just bought my airplane ticket to Tupelo for Christmas. Thank you Northwest/Delta Airlines!! The ticket was fairly good on Saturday...on Sunday, it went considerably up and stayed that way until this evening when I got home from work. It got cheaper than it was on Saturday so I took the plunge. :D

Headed home on Saturday, December 12. :D 8) Staying there till January 1st.

Carlos

Carlos

olywaguy

Postby batty » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Earl Butz wrote:True it is more low key than the U.S. Thanksgiving. No parades or hordes of Christmas shoppers yet. (thankfully)

Well they started stocking egg nog at the grocery store, that's insane... Christmas is 10 weeks away... this is wrong, their upsetting the golden rule... no Christmas stuff before Hallowee'n. Tsk tsk :P

Anyways, back on topic. This year I didn't not luck out schedule-wise: I am working almost everyday from Dec 22nd to Jan 4th

I got my ticket so I can go back East for the Holidays, which I'll be celebrating on non-conventional times; about 2 weeks before the "real Xmas". Festivus it is then!! :)
batty

Postby Phoenix6570 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:59 am

^ I love egg nog! Even though it is ridiculous that they''re stocking it now I wouldn't mind at all. Egg nog is one of my favorite things about the season; I could go for a nice cold glass now!

Although the other day I was in a Lowes and they already had Christmas trees up. I guess business' don't care about the rule.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Phoenix6570 wrote:^ I love egg nog! Even though it is ridiculous that they''re stocking it now I wouldn't mind at all. Egg nog is one of my favorite things about the season; I could go for a nice cold glass now!

Although the other day I was in a Lowes and they already had Christmas trees up. I guess business' don't care about the rule.

I'm with you on this about the Egg Nog. I love it. Although I should care it's out so early 'casue I'm sure it contributes to my winter weight gain. :o It's all the other holiday stuff I hate out early. It's only a sign to me how commercial the holiday season is. :x
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby olywaguy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 am

Well, for Thanksgiving, I will be spending it with a good friend of mine in Federal Way, WA. I was his best man a few months ago when he got married. A couple of months ago, he broke the news that he and his wife were pregnant and about a month ago he told he they were having identical twins!! So, we are going to spend part of the time talking about having twins.

I already got my ticket to go back home to Tupelo, MS for Christmas. Last year I couldn't go because of the merger between Northwest Airlines and Delta. When Delta took over Northwest Airlines, the ticket prices went up considerably. I was lucky to find a ticket for less than $ 500.00 this year. Will be there December 15 - January 2nd.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:15 am

Well, in a few hours, I will begin my trip back home to Mississippi. I can't wait.

It has been two years since I've been back home. I couldn't go last year because the tickets were too expensive.

It will be so wonderful to see my family again.

What are your holiday plans?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Mine is going to be so quiet, you may have to check for my pulse. Thinking of just sleeping right through it.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:55 pm

I would if I could get away with it.

My partner and I celebrate the Solstice. Not with any real rituals, mind (other than the one first thing in the morning :twisted: ) but it's an easier day to get off, plus all the restaurants are open!
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:56 am

Well, at 9 a.m. tomorrow (Dec. 5), I begin my trek to Mississippi for the holidays. It all begins with a 2-hour airport shuttle to SeaTac. My flight won't actually till 2:25 p.m. Have a 45 minute layover in Chicago and then a 9.5 hour layover in Atlanta before I make it home to Tupelo. So, will be going to a hotel in Atlanta so I can have a nice comfortable room at the nearest Days Inn to the airport.

Can't wait to see the family especially my 9-month old grandnephew. It's going to be great being back home for a while. No matter how long I stay, it is never enough for my mom.

What are your plans for the holidays>
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Wow. Has it really been two years since I've posted in this thread? geez.

Well the holidays have already begun. I spent American Thanksgiving in New York with my beau. Going down again tomorrow for the weekend. Then next he's coming up here for a bit, then I go back down for his birthday, which is just a few days before Christmas, then we both travel back here to spend Christmas here, then back down to his place for New Years.

Man, I'm tired already.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Celebrating Solstice with my husband on the 21st, then doing Christmas on the 22nd with mom and brother (with option for the 29th should the weather be foul). Low-key with any luck.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 am

I got to see New York for the first time back in May. My dad said it was the asshole of the world, so I was a bit worried it would be a disappointment. The Canadian terminal at JFK is just embarrassing. Filthy bathrooms, and you pick up your luggage in a dungeon like basement. The ride in to Manhattan is also a bit depressing. Bumper to bumper traffic, and the scenery is ugly.

But, after that rough beginning, I did find Manhattan to be nicer than I expected. I walked everywhere I could. Midtown is nice and compact, between 42 and 52 streets anyway. 7 extra blocks to Central Park though.

Great atmosphere, and the people were so friendly. One guy in Bryant park invited me to join his juggling group. I said thanks but no thanks. :P I didn't find people to be rude at all, except people driving cars who honk alot.

All types of food to be found too, and convenient as hell. Delis, fast food places, street carts, whatever you want. I took a circle cruise around Manhattan which was more fun than I expected. Beautiful day helped. Sunny, and perfect temperature.

Hotels are expensive there, though. You have to swallow that bullet unless you want to stay in a dump. And Times square is fun, but too crowded. The weekend is hopeless. Too many stuffed shirts.

But overall, I was impressed. Lots to do, lots to see. You need at least a week to see it all. And even then, that's just scratching the surface.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure