Port Elizabeth, South Africa

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Postby The_Machinist » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:47 pm

I heard on Monday that I may be going to South Africa to install a roughing operation on a Ford crankshaft machining line. I am probably going to decline, but if I do end up going, does anybody have any advice, etc for me? I have heard good and bad about the place... there is still a bit of post-apartheid violence there, the land is beautiful, and plenty of opportunistic crime. South Africa is dang far from home, and I have a lot going on right now (sister is sick, great boyfriend, and just trying to settle down..) I am not hurting for money, so I have nothing forcing me to go.

I really have no clue what to do... or how my boss will respond if I decline the job. If I am fired, so be it... I have plenty saved up and shouldn't have toooo much trouble getting another job where I don't have to travel all over the world. My boyfriend can also add me to his health insurance if I am not able to get a job right away.
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Location: Lima, OH (home)/Baltimore, MD/Buffalo, NY, and soon, Spring Hill, TN

Re: Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Postby nimby » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Well, to me, it sounds like you've already made up your mind. You didn't say how long your trip would be, but I assume it would be a long time. If you can pass, I'd pass on it too. A great BF is hard to find, and your sister will need you too. And if you have the savings, and will be ok for a while IF you become unemployed, so be it. I've passed up big oppourtunities too cause my family needs me, and I haven't regretted it at all.

Cheers.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Some country information from the U.S. State Department:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1008.html

Interesting, there are no travel warnings or alerts for South Africa from the State Department. So, it must be better than you think.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby chidiver » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:42 pm

I know that Johannesburg is quite violent and it was creeping into CapeTown, but am not sure of the rest of the country. I'd imagine that Ford would go to great lengths to protect their overseas employees.
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:32 pm

South Africa makes some great wines if you're into that. I think the cape towns are where the wine growing areas are. So I imagine that is the nicest part of the country. Close to the ocean.

Don't know much about that country though. Except the apartheid problem of course.

I imagine I would get home sick in a place like that.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:44 pm

South Africa is, to my knowledge, a very beautiful country. It is also extremely homophobic. Maybe I should say EXTREMELY.

But one should always embrace opportunity. One only lives once, and I don't believe in any of that afterlife crap (you'll find out, one way or another, absolutely for sure, once you're dead). Embrace opportunity, I say, but be careful. There will be a lot of blacks who will try to take advantage of a stranger's friendliness and the white's have an old fashioned view of reality, no matter how big their smiles may be. Just be very, very, very cautious of the locals.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:54 am

Didn't they introduce laws in favour* of gay marriage a couple of years back?

*Testing out the font cols...
solat

Postby butch » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:33 pm

solat wrote:Didn't they introduce laws in favour* of gay marriage a couple of years back?

*Testing out the font cols...

Yes, but I would still be careful :? :? :?
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby The_Machinist » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Well, I am still alive..... I ended up NOT getting involved in the Ford South Africa (Ford calls it the "Puma" crankshaft project)... Instead I ended up coming down to Huntsville, Alabama to install 5 CNC machining centers to cut engine blocks and cylinder heads for the 6.4L V8 powerstroke diesel. I wrote all the cutting programs for the machines, so it only made sense to send me down with them. The install is almost done now and has gone quite well. The only mess was teaching a tool magazine robot with no experience whatsoever! Coupling/decoupling 2x rotary and 1x linear servo axes is now part of my knowledge base, which makes me one of two people in the US that know how to teach the magazine on this particular machine. I never know what is coming next with work. :P

Huntsville is quite nice... aside from a tornado that hit 2 miles from where I am staying. I didn't have ANY warning... The storms were low-top supercells (hard to predict), so it just kinda... happened. Once the funnel was on the ground shredding roofs and power lines, the warning was issued. It was classified as an EF-2 (111-135mph), so I sorta lucked out. I would have been driving right in the path if I hadn't stayed an extra half hour at work. :lol:

My next big project will probably be 30-some CNC's, assembly systems, and gantry robots for Detroit Diesel up in Michigan... which would keep me busy for a couple years.
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Postby DeckApe » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Tom! Glad to see you back.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby The_Machinist » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Yup, I'm back... whether that's good or bad, I have no idea. :P

I have been buried in a nightmare of car repairs, home repairs, family issues, work, and a lack of internet. I finally got myself one of those nifty Verizon "instant hotspots".. I just call it the hockey puck.

Been together with Bruce for over a year now.... we flew out to San Diego for our 1-year to escape alabama, ohio, and the snow, which was quite nice. He quit his decent medical-related job just to be with me while I travel for work.

My sister is still struggling quite a bit with psychological issues, my grandpa has had several strokes, leaving over 50% of his brain "dead"... I did head gaskets on Bruce's dad's van... did a transmission swap in his car, kept my beaters running (shocks/struts, brakes, brake lines, re-wiring the entire electronic timing system on the ghetto blazer.... and on and on and on. Oh, and that darn job. hahaha

Now gardening season is around the corner and I need to get some seeds started for the garden already.

Fun times. :)
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:15 am

So why did that guy shoot his girlfriend three times?

Did he catch the O.J. bug?
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure