Is telling people you're gay the same thing as "coming out"?

Was it tough or was it easy, or are you still locked in? Tell the world anonymously about your gayness should you choose.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, foxeyes2, olywaguy

Is telling people you're gay the same thing as "coming out"?

Postby dannyboiii » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 am

I've kinda been thinking lately. It seems like just merely letting people in your life know that you're interested in pursuing sexual/emotional relationships with members of the same sex is not exactly the same thing as "coming out". I mean, there seems to be more about coming out than just proclaiming your love interest. A lot of closeted men have been forced into hiding not just their relationships, but key aspects of their TRUE personality as well. Many men, I suspect, would actually be much different in nature if they weren't forced into hiding by societal expectation. Shouldn't coming out also involve exposing parts of your personality that has remained hidden as well? or is it just normal to not show aspects of your inner personality off publicly?
dannyboiii

Re: Is telling people you're gay the same thing as "coming out"?

Postby DeckApe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:51 am

In the strictest of definitions, "coming out" is telling people that you are gay.

If you want to reveal portions of your personality that you have felt the need to keep hidden... that is entirely up to you. Ask yourself why you've felt the need to keep them hidden. Will you feel better or more at peace with people knowing that, for example, you like to dance? All up to you.

You are only obligated to come out to one person: yourself. Beyond that it is entirely your choice.

Welcome to the Funny Farm, by the way. :D
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:05 pm

"You are only obligated to come out to one person: yourself. Beyond that it is entirely your choice."

What DeckApe said should be engraved in stone...or at least on a Hallmark card...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:46 am

Not what I said; it's a genuine Lou quote. :)
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:08 pm

DA, Thanks for the attribution; but it's not original with me as someone told that to me many moons ago. I'm sure it's passed into public domain by now, so use it freely and widely since it's absolutely true and universally applicable.

Now if ya want something I did come up with and use frequently when talkin' with/at parents worried about the spawn's orientation and what they did wrong:

There's nothing y'all did, or didn't do, raisin' <insert name here> up that had any more effect on their orientation than it did on the color of my eyes.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Return to Coming Out