Are you comfortable with hiding your sexuality?

Was it tough or was it easy, or are you still locked in? Tell the world anonymously about your gayness should you choose.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, foxeyes2, olywaguy

Re: Are you comfortable with hiding your sexuality?

Postby nimby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Wow. That's a heck of a secret to share with your grand daughter. Kind of a mixed bag, eh?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby jabpcola » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Actually I didn't share it with her, she guessed and didn't want me to confirm or deny she was right! She is a sharp little chick, much like her grandmother, very perceptive. I am not coming out to her, but I suppose it doesn't make any difference. But I would like to know how she figured it out!

I will play it by ear but will not confirm her suspicions!
jabpcola

Postby nimby » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:43 pm

No, you misunderstood. The secret that was shared was hers, that she already knew. The fact is most people are pretty good at guessing now a days. It's no biggie any more. You don't have to tell it you don't want to, but if your wife and grand daughter guessed, I'm betting so have many others.

Me? My wife knows cause I told her, and I suspect my daughters know too. I've come out to a few close few friends and I suspect others know as well, but I don't advertise it.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby jabpcola » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:27 pm

"The secret that was shared was hers, that she already knew. The fact is most people are pretty good at guessing now a days. It's no biggie any more. You don't have to tell it you don't want to, but if your wife and grand daughter guessed, I'm betting so have many others."

You are undoubtedly on target Nimby. I suspect there are many with whom I worked who knew but out of respect retained their silence. The two people who have openly stated they knew, my wife and my granddaughter are both people with whom I have shared many close moments, probably more than any other humans. So it is not surprising they would have known.

Next month (Aug 5) marks 3 years since my wife passed away. Logically my period of mourning should be past by then. So I may go "shopping". We will see...
jabpcola

Postby nimby » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Just keep us updated on how you decide. :D Good luck.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby catapult » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Just because you are "girly" shouldn't mean to your granddaughter that you are gay. We still are saddled with that stereotype. There are "girly" straights.

Ask your granddaughter if she thinks all "girly" men are gay.

Hey, we are all susceptible to that stereotype. If I see a real feminine guy, I suspect he must be gay, even though I know it's 50/50 he's straight. 40/60? 30/70?

As for the reincarnation thing, she should know that if your desire is for men, and you die with that desire, then you should come back gay or as a straight woman. Not a lesbian.

Some say we have 7 lives in a row as one sex and then 7 in a row as the other, and the crossover time is the gay one. Makes as much sense as anything.
catapult

Postby jabpcola » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:06 pm

I will question her as to her thoughts on any connection between "girly" and gay. I don't believe most people have made that connection. For 21 years I was in the military, and not 1 person ever indicated they suspected I could be gay even though I knew dozens who were. In fact, at one of my last duty stations, 23 people were "caught" and discharged during the last year of my assignment.

I suspect I let my guard down a bit once I was no longer in the military and due to the "non discriminatory" policy in the workplace, there was no particular reason to "cover up" so some may have suspected.

Interesting subject, thank you all for your comments...
jabpcola

Previous

Return to Coming Out