A Question About How Do You Get Your News?

All things website and computer related have a new home right here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, olywaguy, solat

A Question About How Do You Get Your News?

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:30 pm

With the advent of the "computer age" (that in itself is an antiquated term), we are constantly bombarded with "breaking news" at least twice a day...

Every morning when I wake up, I turn on CNN ( :oops: :twisted: :evil: but its the only news I can get on TV here)...Talk about a bunch of alarmist, opinionated, rush-to-judgement, perfect teeth & hair commentators looking for a story to fill air time :roll: ...

CNN's coverage this evening of the computer "glitches" at United Airlines, the New York Stock Exchange & the Wall Steet Journal's website is a classic case in point...Yes, bad-guy/bad-governments have hacked us before...and continue to do so every day...But - The news commentators were looking for a conspiracy that wasn't there - it filled a lot of air time & resulted in another "breaking news story" ...In the "real world", computer "stuff" breaks...& it breaks at the most inopportune time for the most asinine reasons...END OF STORY...Alarmist reporting.

I much prefer to get my "news" from an honest-to-goodness" newspaper...News that's actually printed on paper...albeit "late"..."news" that you can hold in your hand, fold, crinkle/wrinkle...where news is actually "digested", not "vomited" in an attempt to score a "story" or "ratings".

So, how do you get your daily dose of "news"? Web, TV, some kind of app, word-of-mouth at the office, or the old fashioned newspaper?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: A Question About How Do You Get Your News?

Postby DeckApe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:19 am

I tend to get my news from the radio in the car whilst driving to/from work, if I have it turned on at all. Occasionally a paper, or a blog.

Come to think of it, my husband tells me most of the news. I apparently don't pay that much attention. :oops:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:18 am

I only watch CNN at night, and they almost never talk about news. It's always some guy sampling food in Europe or somewhere. :P

I sometimes read a newspaper while I eat dinner. Otherwise, I use the internet or watch local news.

The "breaking news" thing really took hold after 711. No news story will ever be that exciting to cover ever again, so they make a pathetic attempt to ramp up the excitement of yet another boring story. It's kinda sad.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:30 pm

I listen to NPR in the car and use my CNN app in my cell phone.

From time to time, I use the White House app as well, but I primarily go to their website.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Return to Web and Computers