Technology Has Passed Me by...

All things website and computer related have a new home right here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, olywaguy, solat

Technology Has Passed Me by...

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon May 07, 2012 2:03 pm

So, this weekend I got cable tv, Internet & telephone installed...one of those 3-in-1 package deals we're all familiar with... Or so I thought. Come to find out my multi- system (NTSC/ PAL) tv doesn't have the proper connections ~ USB ports... And my 1980's vintage phone won't ring on the new VOIP technology. I've lugged this stuff all over the world & it's worked great... But it seems as though my stuff is now incompatable with the new technology & is relegated to the rubbish heap. An expensive trip to the electronics mega-store is in my future...

Which got me thinking, what old/out-dated technological gizmos do you have kicking around your place? Me; in addition to the above, a 1930's vintage Bakelite telephone & a great typewriter of the same age, a 1950's era coffee percolator and a few cassette tapes - but no cassette player..
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Technology Has Passed Me by...

Postby nimby » Mon May 07, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm writing this on my Commodore Vic 20. With my dial up connection it takes me about a week per post. What is this new pentium processor I hear so much about? :oops:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:15 am

I do have some cassettes still but I do have a stereo that has cassette players...(two of them). My stereo also has a turntable....nope, no 8-track tapes or players.

I do have a VCR still but hardly ever use it.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Tue May 08, 2012 3:32 am

Geez I have 3 suitcases of cassettes. :oops: They've collected dust for two years now. Prior to that, I had a car with a cassette deck.

We have "digital" t.v. now, whatever that is. VCR's don't work with it, unless you don't mind only recording one channel at a time.

I guess I need to get a DVR, whatever that is. :roll:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri May 11, 2012 5:06 pm

I left work early to go and check out the big electronics super-store...and ended up buying a 40" "smart" TV... I was impressed with the quality of the picture & I got it for what I considered to be a decent price in spite of the Euro-Dollar exchange rate... Unfortunately, the "smart technology" is a helluva lot smarter than me... The 20-something kid/salesman assured me that it was "easy" to set up ~ just "plug & play"... yeah, right... I spent 2 hours reading the owner's manual, pushing buttons and making on-line choices as to networks, channels, modem-interface, antenna or wireless connecion questions & other stuff I don't understand... The only thing I was able to accomplish was putting 8 screws into the mounting bracket... It's a very nice looking television, but the damn thing still doesn't work...Thankfully I've got a techno-savi buddy from work that actually enjoys dealing with such challenges.

I'll leave him to it...and will be heading out to a book fair tomorrow ~ a technology that I understand and appreciate.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat May 12, 2012 12:30 pm

nimby wrote:I'm writing this on my Commodore Vic 20. With my dial up connection it takes me about a week per post. What is this new pentium processor I hear so much about? :oops:

I still have a Commodore 64 and 64C hanging about the place, with a floppy drive for each of them. And a tape drive. And a monitor.

The Bakelite phone is here and working on the old phone circuits.

And a tube tester. :D
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Return to Web and Computers