Any Recommendations?

All things website and computer related have a new home right here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, olywaguy, solat

Any Recommendations?

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:52 pm

My parents, both of whom are in their 80's, have an 8 year old Dell PC that finally konked out & they are looking for a replacement. They called me for advice on what to get & I'm completely clueless as to what to recommend. They're looking for something that is user friendly ~ basically for e-mail, Word documents and browsing (Google) the internet ~ just the basics ~ easy to operate - nothing fancy. They're going out to one of the big "box" type stores this weekend & I don't want them to get ripped off by some salesman looking for a commission. They're overwhelmed with all the Sunday advertisements in the newspaper...

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers - Any ideas on what BASIC type of computer to recommend? A website or complete description of the system would be much appreciated!
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Any Recommendations?

Postby ispeaktexan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 am

What do they want to spend?
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:18 am

Do they want a desktop or a laptop? Are they interested in a webcam? What are some of their interests? Are they music lovers?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Guinness Fan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:41 am

Price wise ~ something around the $600 - $800 range ~ probably looking at something less than a grand.

They were talking about a laptop ~ simply from a space saving aspect ~ they would never take it out of the house. But I think typing on a laptop keyboard would be difficult for them. Using the built-in mouse would be a no-go ~ my mom still hasn't master the art of the left-click, right-click on a standard mouse. They also like a large scren monitor.

They don't need anything fancy - I doubt they'd use a webcam & they wouldn't have a clue about photo-shop. Just a good basic model that 80 year olds can operate.

Appreciate all the help!
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 am

Well, FWIW, 'laptop' and 'large screen monitor' don't typically occur in the same sentence without the phrase "unless you want." :lol:

Some reasonably priced mini-tower systems are out there; I advise you to beware of the boxes that have the vertical CD/DVD drive because the set-up has kind of looked hoky to me.

Ditto any of the Compaq boxes that, when you open the CD/DVD drive, the door that opens actually blocks the button to close it again. Way to go, Compaq!
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:13 pm

The reason I asked because they might want to scan any family pictures they may have and having a computer with lots of hard drive would be helpful.

A webcam, so they can communicate with the grandkids and great-grandkids that live far away from them.

Don't know if they are into genealogy, but there is software for that where they can input information about the family which they can pass on to the next generation.

If grandma is a great cook, there is software where you can keep your recipes.

I have always liked Gateway. They did have a laptop with a 16" monitor that I saw in Best Buy a few months ago but it sounds like it might be better for him to use a desktop. Then you have to decide whether you want Windows or a Mac for their operating system. Macs are not as bulky as PCs. Less buggy too.

Just a few things to think about.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby DeckApe » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:02 am

olywaguy wrote:I have always liked Gateway. They did have a laptop with a 16" monitor that I saw in Best Buy a few months ago but it sounds like it might be better for him to use a desktop. Then you have to decide whether you want Windows or a Mac for their operating system. Macs are not as bulky as PCs. Less buggy too.

All true... but I'd recommend getting whatever the person who is going to be primary tech support has. I'm driving an XP machine, identical to the one that Mom has except I've put more memory into mine over the years. As our computers are reaching the end of their lifespan, we're going to go get new, identical machines again so I can perform the majority of tech support over the phone (I live an hour away).
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:24 pm

I wouldn't go with compaq.
Some reliable pc names to go with would be Asus, Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, and Acer are pretty good.
You might want to get them a external keyboard and mouse, because it is a pain to always use the one on the laptop.
If its just for minor internet usage and such they won't need anything too high powered.
Avoid windows vista at all costs. Horrible operating system.
The best size would probably be the standard 15.4 inch laptops.
Mine is 14 inches, I really like my laptop because its lightweight and has a nice display.
Battery life might also be something they would be looking for.

Any of the everyday usage laptops by HP, or an Acer or Asus would be good.
Lenovo make great laptops but they also tend to be expensive.
You can find a good laptop for them for well under 1000 dollars.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby backpacker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm

I purchased an emachines system last January because I was looking for one with a low price. It is not state of the art, but plays games well and is great for internet, email etc. and lots of storage for digital pics/music. The money I saved on the system I used to buy a larger HD monitor which wasn't really that expensive either, it's a viewsonic. I think the total price was around $600.
backpacker

Postby nimby » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm

I have an Acer laptop that I bought brand new about five years ago from Best buy. it's the aspire 3050 and I paid $300 for it. It was the cheapest of the cheap, but you know what? I've never had a problem with it,it does exactly what I want it to, and very simple to use. I am so happy with it.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 pm

The iMac. Big screen, 1-button mouse, one cord, no tower/CPU to mess with. Love it.
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby rlb2444 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:23 am

I highly recommend Apple IMac. I switched to Mac several years ago and it's like a whole new world. No crashes....it just works and works.
rlb2444

Return to Web and Computers