How to make an avatar for this site

All things website and computer related have a new home right here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, olywaguy, solat

How to make an avatar for this site

Postby butch » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 am

I decided I should put up a better avatar and I notice many do not have an avatar, at all.
Maybe people are just shy, but likely you may not know how to make one.

This board requires it be 6Kb or less, which can be quite the challenge.

So, I thought I'd tell you what I did. You will need a program that has some reasonable control. I use an antique version of Photoshop... version 5.

So, open a photo you like in photoshop or something similar, and crop out the part you like... presumably your head. Square would be good because you are allowed 80 pixels by 80 pixels.

Once you've got the shot you are going to use, set the resolution to 72dpi because that is a good resolution for almost all computers and will not seem rough looking. 100dpi will look even better.

Set the image size to .8 inch (80 x 80 pixels).

In photoshop, select "image mode" then select "indexed colour". This will auto-magically change the image to a PNG image.

Select "image adust" (photo shop) or whatever will allow you to adjust the contrast etc. Make the image look a bit washed out and flat looking.

Save a copy to your desktop (so you can easily find it).
Look for it on your desktop and right click on it. Select properties and see if the file size came out under 6Kb. If so, you're in business.

Upload it and see what it looks like. If it is too dark, or contrasty, flatten/lighten the image more in photoshop, or whatever program you are using.

ALTERNATE METHOD... so you get a jpg

Open an image in photoshop or similar program crop image to a square, or close to it.
Set resolution to 100 dpi... you do that in photoshop by selecting IMAGE then IMAGE SIZE which will open a window with adjustment ability.

Set image size to .8 inch (or 80 pixels)

Save a copy to your desktop (so you can find it easily)... in photoshop you will be given a choice of QUALITY OF IMAGE.
Lower the quality level to a 5 or 6 and save.[/b]

So that should do it.

Hope that was useful.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Return to Web and Computers