Shelfari

All things website and computer related have a new home right here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, olywaguy, solat

Shelfari

Postby jkav » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 am

I've been looking for a social networking site specifically for reading, and I've been disappointed with the ones I tried out before. I found Shelfari during a Google search and signed up today. From what I've seen, I like it. It lets users create a virtual bookshelf of books they've read, are currently reading, or plan to read. You can also write reviews for books, discuss them, start online book clubs, etc.

I set up a profile at http://www.shelfari.com/o1518040482. I don't know if any of you gentlemen are into this kind of thing, but take a look and see if it suits you. Maybe we could get a SA.com book discussion group going.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby JakeMIke » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:39 am

There's another website like this, which came first and is a bit less slick-looking, which is called Library Thing, and is worth checking out as well. Thanks for the tip; I'll be joining up on Shelfari.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Re: Shelfari

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:28 pm

jkav wrote:I've been looking for a social networking site specifically for reading, and I've been disappointed with the ones I tried out before. I found Shelfari during a Google search and signed up today. From what I've seen, I like it. It lets users create a virtual bookshelf of books they've read, are currently reading, or plan to read. You can also write reviews for books, discuss them, start online book clubs, etc.

I set up a profile at http://www.shelfari.com/o1518040482. I don't know if any of you gentlemen are into this kind of thing, but take a look and see if it suits you. Maybe we could get a SA.com book discussion group going.

The BOTS have gotten to him! He's one of THEM now....

:lol:
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby JakeMIke » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Shelfari is pretty cool. The website is great with nice graphics, but I am a literature snob and must say that Library Thing is better overall. However, I am now a member of both.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:13 pm

I'll give Library Thing a try, too. Never used that one before.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:10 am

Gee I didn't know Kansas City was that big.

Love humor books. And travel books. Don't care for fiction at all.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:05 am

Earl Butz wrote:Gee I didn't know Kansas City was that big.

Oh, yeah. They call us the "St. Louis of the rest of Missouri."

Earl Butz wrote:Love humor books. And travel books. Don't care for fiction at all.

I'm pretty picky with my fiction. There's a fine line between good fiction and awful book-burning-worthy fiction, and I've found myself on the wrong side of that line a few times. Most modern-day fiction novels I see in the bookstores aren't exactly directed at a male readership, either. An exception is Nelson DeMille, a fantastic thriller novelist. I'm on my fourth DeMille, and a new novel was just published last month that I'll have to pick up soon. One of his characters is an ex-NYPD cop named John Corey whom I think should have his own show.

I like to read humor and travel, but I prefer short stories or collections of essays in both genres.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Tygrrrr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Are either of the like Good Reads? I signed up on Good Reads a couple of years ago, but haven't done anything with it.

I'm always in the process of reading 2 or 3 books, at a time. So I'd be good for any of those site. The thing is I spend so much time reading, I don't have the time to be updating my profile. :oops:
Change you can believe in.

Translation - Pocket change is all you'll have left. You can believe in that!
Tygrrrr

Postby madsglen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for both recommendations. From what I've seen so far 'Library Thing' could end up being addictive for me! (like Tygrrrr, I'm often into 2 or 3 books at a time...). And I'll read just about anything that interests me. One friend took a look at my most recent reading list and said it 'gave him whiplash'. What does annoy me, though, is that so many new fiction titles are 'romance novel-related'. Kind of sickening to walk into a bookstore and see that close to a third of the fiction is in the 'romance' section.

Earl Butz wrote:Love humor books. And travel books. Don't care for fiction at all.

I have a couple of authors which might get you turned on to fiction 'Earl'... Carl Hiassen (crime mysteries, mostly, but humourous. Dark humor.)

Or my 'guilty pleasure' favorite - Christopher Moore (twisted, really twisted sometimes. And flat out, laugh-out-loud funny more often than not. Sure keeps me coming back for more.) My personal recommendation for a first read by Christopher Moore would be 'Lamb - The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal'...
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Return to Web and Computers