Your Daily Blog - Inane Info Only II

All things website and computer related have a new home right here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, olywaguy, solat

Re: Your Daily Blog - Inane Info Only II

Postby furface » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Phoenix: Wait till ya gets the giant bunny wearing a pilgrim hat next month. Course there's still the Presidents' Day elf with the cherry tree apron to put up before Columbus Day. Ain't marketing and merchandizing just soooo much fun?! :roll:
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:06 am

I spent $3 on penny wrappers today. So I have to wrap up 6 rolls of the stupid things just to get my money back on the wrappers! Talk about the definition of futility! :evil:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Best explanation I've seen so far on why S&P downgraded the US:

* U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
* Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000
* New debt: $1,650,000,000,000
* National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
* Recent budget cut: $38,500,000,000

Let's remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:

* Annual family income: $21,700
* Money the family spent: $38,200
* New debt on the credit card: $16,500
* Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
* Total budget cuts: $385
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:35 pm

A couple of days ago, I saw this number in my mileage meter: 83,000

I am only 17,000 away from 100,000 for my 2001 Hyundai Accent.

Goodness, time sure flies doesn't it?

What did ya'll do when you reached the magic number of 100,000? Did you get a new car or keep it? If you got a new car, what did you get?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby madsglen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 pm

I've never reached that milestone. Owned a 1984 Honda Accord for 21 years and reached 82,000 miles or so. Sold it when I bought a 2006 Subaru Forester on 12/31/06. Last week the odometer reached 12,000 miles.

At this rate I'd maybe reach 100K in 2045, but by that time I'd be nearing my mid-80's (if I'm so lucky) so hopefully someone else will be doing the driving by then!
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby DeckApe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:07 pm

nimby wrote:Best explanation I've seen so far on why S&P downgraded the US:

Wow. That is indeed the best explanation I've seen too.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Typical Sunday...up early. Made two quarts of home made spaghetti sauce from some Roma tomatoes bought at a local farmers market. Marinated and roasted a chicken. Made chicken stock. Did laundry and watched the Steelers lose to the Texans.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Homemade marinara sauce. Yum. Nothing better.

My chicken stock day was a couple of Saturdays ago. Actually a two day process. One to make the stock since I store up chicken carcasses in the freezer for a couple months until I start to have serious space issues. Some is stored "straight" for use over the next week or so. The next day the rest (usually a couple of gallons) is reduced s-l-o-w-l-y until it's down to about a cup or so then divided up into smaller amounts to freeze for sauces or to reconstitute for a quick soup later on. A trick and a process I learned as a kid from some of our Mennonite neighbors.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby Rico » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Will carry on the chicken stock discussion in the Food section. Refreshed my wardrobe today and finally went into a high-end men's store for suits. Bought two of them. (Seemed to take longer than buying a car. Now I know why I don't do this often.) Saleslady couldn't have been nicer...spent lots of time with me. Big debate about pleated vs. flat-front pants. 99% of the pants in the store were pleated. I always wear flat-front so I asked her, "Why all the pleated pants and no flat-fronts?" She said something like: "That's what men seem to want. There's 'things' up front that make them feel more comfortable in pleated pants." I smiled and said, "Not necessarily so....sometimes I think men prefer pleated pants because they don't want you to know what they don't have up front." It cracked her up. I ended up getting one of each...one pleated...one flat...but the flat had to be special order. Great bargains today. I'm happy.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Spent the day noodling about between various ferry docks in the San Juan Islands, enjoying the downturn in traffic that is concurrent with Fall schedule. The weather was definitely in mid-October form with mostly overcast skies and 15-20 knot (17-23 MPH/28-37 KMH, just for grins) winds out of the southeast.

Returned home to my hubby, whose tum has been feeling fizzy all day. A stop at the store had been made for chicken broth (tie-in! :lol: ) and ginger ale, plus dinner for myself. The afternoon's activity was removing an auxiliary fencepost and foundation from the garden. (Someone opted to put in a faker post rather than fix the problem of the rotten posts. I've since addressed the issue.) A few minutes of farting about in the garage with a Dremel and a never-used scroll saw, de-rusting the deck on the saw.

I am now off to snuggle up with said hubby and watch an ep or perhaps two of Carl Sagan's 1980 epic Cosmos.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:07 pm

I've been really sick too for the past couple of weeks. Just starting to feel better. Today I wanted to get out so the wife and I went to hit some shops and went out for lunch an a Chinese buffet.

Next to us in the restaurant there was a bus load of Chinese seniors who forgot their "two for one" coupons and, when presented with the bill, were having a melt down. Them being Chinese, they felt they didn't need coupons for the discount, but the owner begged to differ. It got ugly real quick with several geriatric women screaming to the tops of their lungs. It was hysterical. We finished up and left before someone got tazered. We had coupons. But as I was walking out, I got flashed by another old chinese lady. She had her skirt hiked right up and legs spread wide. Yup. No panties. I was stunned!!! Pointed it out to the wife and she had a good look too. Unreal! That was a first for us.

Oh, and because of my flu, I quit smoking!! Woo hoo!!! Wish me luck that I can keep it up. More than a week smoke free now. :D
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Good for you on the smoking-cessation! Sorry you had to get sick to do it, but it's a good start!

Today was a mundane day, both at work and home. We are trying to figure out what food it is that upsets my hubby's stomach. So far we think it might be the milk in a protein shake. Those stay out of the gullet tomorrow.

I'm currently eating some turkey meatloaf and coleslaw, and thinking to myself, "I would give my left ball for a bag of Fritos to go with this."
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Today I had to deal with a mini plague. I killed over 100 of those brown stink bugs in my room. It was horrible! At first I saw a couple on my bed and I promptly killed them. Then I discovered them on my curtain then my window. Thats where the nightmare began. I still cannot believe how many I killed. Now I'm paranoid and seeing them when they aren't there. I hate these bugs and cannot wait for winter so they all die!
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Ewww! 100 stink bugs? What a stink that'd be. Two nights ago I was laying in bed watching a little spider make it's way accross my bedroom ceiling. It stopped right above my face, watching me. And I was watching it. Then it dropped. And I had a hissy fit. I hate spiders.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Phoenix6570 wrote:Today I had to deal with a mini plague. I killed over 100 of those brown stink bugs in my room. It was horrible! At first I saw a couple on my bed and I promptly killed them. Then I discovered them on my curtain then my window. Thats where the nightmare began. I still cannot believe how many I killed. Now I'm paranoid and seeing them when they aren't there. I hate these bugs and cannot wait for winter so they all die!

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but they're all not going to die in the winter. They just find a comfortable place inside and in places where you don't usually see them (in your roof, attic, basement, inside the walls, under the siding, in the roof, between the floors, etc.) They are actually most active indoors now through December! I've picked them off my indoor Christmas trees. This year I might just paint them red and call them moving Christmas ornaments.

This lovely couple lives in Ontario:

Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I have never seen a stink bug up here in Ontario. They might be here, but I've never seen one here.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 pm

nimby wrote:I have never seen a stink bug up here in Ontario. They might be here, but I've never seen one here.

You have them but not yet in the number as we do. You'll get them. Hannah Fraser, the provincial entomologist for horticultural crops for the Ontario's Agriculture Ministry doesn't believe Canada's relative cold will deter the stink bug's advance.

"I'm hoping it doesn't do well here at all, but I don't think that's realistic ... Based on its distribution in its natural range, it's likely it would survive here or find a way to survive here," said Fraser. "We anticipate we will eventually find this pest in the field."

Just consider them yet another "gift" from Asia.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Arrived home this afternoon from a 5-night field trip to the Oregon Coast. Had a lovely time in Lincoln City and Newport, stopping overnight in Portland for a trip to the Japanese Gardens there--alas, about a week too early for real color, but it was still pretty.

Upon arrival at home, we discovered the interior of our house to be rather cooler than expected... about seven degrees, in fact. The cat was really annoyed.

One service call, one loose wire, and one hot technician later, we are waiting for a phone call from the sales division of the furnace outfit... it would seem that our 44-year-old furnace is dying its last. We will be shutting the furnace off before bed tonight, and firing it up in the mornings. And vying for a replacement ASAP. Good thing I have emergency funding...

...forgot to mention that the Oregon Coast Aquarium was full o' hot guys, but the hottest one I saw on the road was the cub who made my Subway sandwich in Portland, OR. Wish I'd had the nerve to ask him what the red and black jelly bracelet with the paw prints was for. :twisted:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Was at a thrift store in Niagara Falls yesterday. It too was chock full o' hot young scruffy guys. Anyway, as I was snooping through the jeans rack, I noticed a hottie not ten feet from me doing the same thing. As I snook another peek, I watched him drop trow right in front of me and try on a pair of jeans, right there in the isle! He saw my surprise and shot me a dazling smile. I quickly looked away (after noticing his yummy treasure trail and dark grey briefs). When I dared to look again, all I saw was his butt walking away down the isle in his newly chosen jeans. What a nice surprise. :mrgreen:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Wow. I wish my day had been that interesting. :shock:

I've been sitting here for six hours, scanning 35mm negatives out of my photo collection. It's taken that long to cull eight rolls down... the last sixteen to go. I'm pretty sure I won't finish today. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am

So I've gone and done it. I've traded in my Cole Haans for Kodiaks, my Hugo Boss suits for Dakota cargo work pants. :shock: I couldn't face going back into the corporate world and kiss the asses of people I don't respect. Not anymore. 20 + years is enough for me, so I'm making a total change. I'm starting an apprenticeship to become an electrician, and I'm so excited; scared shitless, but excited. Wish me luck!!!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:32 am

Nimby--GOOD FOR YOU! I have the good fortune to be doing what I wanted to do all my life (though the political angle gets me down from time to time); life is too short to hate your job.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks man. I wanted to be an electrician in my youth. I was putting up light fixtures and moving outlets since I was 10. Some said I had a natural knack for it, but my family said no, I had to go to college. Now's the time I do what I want.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:40 am

Okay...this one really counts as "inane info"...

Got slightly pissed off with myself this morning when I got back from the store only to realize that I bought some things that I already had multiples of in the pantry. So I emptied the whole thing out and now it's spread all over the kitchen. I will organize it, toss out the expired stuff, and think of things to make with the nearly expired stuff. It really wasn't as bad as some pantries I've seen, but in these economic times...why waste a penny?

Plan to finish raking up the last of the leaves....oh, I miss my leaf blower that also doubled as a mulcher. Should have never sold it when I moved last time.

Finally, because it's Sunday, there's a chicken in the pot making 8 quarts of stock to go in the freezer.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 pm

So how do I NOT let on that I think a classmate of mine is HOT? Every morning he has that just rolled out of bed look about him. Adorable! but he's like 20 years my junior and no doubt straight. But it's nice to dream.
nimby
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Web and Computers