Your Daily Blog - Inane Info Only II

All things website and computer related have a new home right here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, olywaguy, solat

Re: Your Daily Blog - Inane Info Only II

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 am

Oh wow. You missed one of the true joys of childhood.

Inane info: Lily Tomlin has been a lesbian for 40 years now. Gee I never knew. :?
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Guinness Fan wrote:As a recent arrival here in thr Netherlands, I've soon realized that a bicycle is a "must have" piece of kit.. So I spent all day yesterday traipsing around to bike shops - WAY too many choices...buying a car is easier...and from some of the prices, cost about as much. By my math it's been over 35 years since I've ridden a bike ~ I'll probably end up on YouTube...or in ICU. :shock:

Yup. Bike culture for sure. At least with all the tall Dutchmen you'll likely find a bike that fits you and not the other way around. There are likely many other things you'll learn to love, hate or scratch-your-head and go "Huh?" Like speed-skating (for a similar experience, think "Hockey Night in Canada" but with a little more resolve but just as much beer.) Oh, and in the summer there are more than a few nude beaches. Just sayin'.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby nimby » Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Just spent a wonderful week at the beach. Too bad I didn't find my bathing suit till the last day.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby glas_scot » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm

I now offically have a BSc (hons) degree in Physics!!! Sooooooo happy! Now to get one of those career things everyone keeps telling me about... :wink:
Last edited by glas_scot on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby nimby » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Yay!!!!!!! What do you want to do now? If you say a career in the arts, we'll smack ya!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 am

Physics? You know all gay men are right brained, right? That's why I took accounting. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:18 am

Earl Butz wrote:Physics? You know all gay men are right brained, right? That's why I took accounting. :P

Right brained? Damn. I knew I was wired wrong. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:18 am

Several thunderstorms rolled through my area in the last 24 hours or so. This isn't normal for western Washington state. Power was out twice that I'm aware of (and the fan in the window stopping is usually enough to wake me) but both times as I was calling the power company, literally on the phone, the power came back on. Makes me wish I hadn't waited the half-hour on the first one. The second one happened at 3:30 AM (I happened to be awake anyway).

Impressive light show, too. I'm still surprised the cat wasn't more bothered than she was. Perhaps her advanced age has granted her wisdom. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:50 pm

DeckApe wrote:Several thunderstorms rolled through my area in the last 24 hours or so. This isn't normal for western Washington state. Power was out twice that I'm aware of (and the fan in the window stopping is usually enough to wake me) but both times as I was calling the power company, literally on the phone, the power came back on. Makes me wish I hadn't waited the half-hour on the first one. The second one happened at 3:30 AM (I happened to be awake anyway).

Impressive light show, too. I'm still surprised the cat wasn't more bothered than she was. Perhaps her advanced age has granted her wisdom. :lol:

A few days ago, we had a very beautiful light show as well here in Ellensburg, WA. You are right, Washingtonians are not used to thunder and lightning...it is a weird quirk that the state has. Now, we have had some very hot weather lately...we even had a 100 F day. Highs have been in the mid to upper 90s F. Looks like the outlook for us for the next 7 days is mid-80s. I hope that is true. I really hate hot weather. I like the temperate weather of western Washington. I do miss the rain...yes, I like rain. Hmm, maybe it is due to the fact that I am a Cancer the Crab.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:55 pm

DeckApe wrote:Impressive light show, too. I'm still surprised the cat wasn't more bothered than she was. Perhaps her advanced age has granted her wisdom. :lol:

I'll bet it's more of the comfort she has developed being in a good home. :D
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:32 pm

nimby wrote:
DeckApe wrote:Impressive light show, too. I'm still surprised the cat wasn't more bothered than she was. Perhaps her advanced age has granted her wisdom. :lol:

I'll bet it's more of the comfort she has developed being in a good home. :D

You're too kind. :)

Though our dear old moggy was most definitely not a snuggler when she came to live with us... my partner and I got her from his ex-wife (long story), and she only started snuggling after about a year. Now when the ex shows up for one of her increasingly rare visits, the cat splits. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Just spent about an hour (probably more) poring through my State of Washington Voters' Pamphlet (but does 133 pages really qualify as a "pamphlet"?) so I guess we're eventually gonna put his election season to bed. Can't be soon enough for me. And I can't imagine what life would be like if I lived in a "swing state". All year long I've been hearing about it from co-workers in Iowa and Ohio. I'd be afraid to open my mail, turn on the TV or the radio or even answer my doorbell...

Was interesting to read the whole so-called gay marriage bill, including the changes and insertions of text. The argument against the initiative was no surprise. But the variety of people in the TV ads supporting the initiative certainly have been a pleasant surprise.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby olywaguy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:44 pm

madsglen wrote:Just spent about an hour (probably more) poring through my State of Washington Voters' Pamphlet (but does 133 pages really qualify as a "pamphlet"?) so I guess we're eventually gonna put his election season to bed. Can't be soon enough for me. And I can't imagine what life would be like if I lived in a "swing state". All year long I've been hearing about it from co-workers in Iowa and Ohio. I'd be afraid to open my mail, turn on the TV or the radio or even answer my doorbell...

Was interesting to read the whole so-called gay marriage bill, including the changes and insertions of text. The argument against the initiative was no surprise. But the variety of people in the TV ads supporting the initiative certainly have been a pleasant surprise.

Boy, you and I must've been in sync last night, because I spent a lot of time looking at the voter's pamphlet as well. For me, though, I was focusing on the Office of the Secretary of State race because they oversee the State Library.

Though, I am a Democrat, I did vote for Sam Reed (R) when he ran for office because he was a fair man. Got an opportunity to meet him a couple of time as a result of a library meeting. He seemed very genuine to me and really fought hard for the needs of the State Library. However, he is now retired and we will be looking at a new Secretary of State.

Kim Wyman is Thurston County Auditor and since I lived there for 12.5 years before moving to Kittitas County, I did vote for her, a Republican, and Thurston is a very blue state. She gained 66% of the vote in 2010. I also got the opportunity how the vote count worked when I went to the offices where they do the counting in 2010. It was amazing how well organized everything was. I was really impressed. Wyman knows the issues very well and I think she might be a good successor to Sam Reed.

Kathleen Drew (D), however, doesn't understand the ramifications of some of her decisions should she become Secretary of State. She wants to pre-register 16 and 17 year olds to vote and she doesn't want to build the new Heritage Center which would be located on the Capitol Campus and hence, doesn't want to include the State Library as part of the Heritage Center. Ever since the NIsqually earthquake, the State Library was moved off the Capitol Campus. Wyman supports the building of the Heritage Center and wants to include the State Library as part of it. She also sees problems with pre-registering 16 and 17 year olds because when they get ready to vote when they are 18, most will move out to go to college and will cause a lot of problems trying to find them. Drew also wants same day voter registration on Election Day, but again, Wyman points out that will take away from the time needed to count ballots and will have less people to process them.

Wyman has been County Auditor for 20 years while Drew has been a policy wonk working for the governor and she was a state senator but really doesn't have any experience whatsoever when it comes to the nuances of voting and voter registration.

Take a look at the debates between the candidates at TVW.org. I learned a lot from it.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:31 pm

This weekend, Europe sets it's clocks back an hour (the old Spring ahead, Fall behind)... Other than an extra hour's sleep on Sunday, I still don't see the point... Economists, please enlighten me....
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm

I think it's designed to sell new alarm clocks, myself. The US doesn't downshift until NEXT weekend (Sun., Nov. 3, I believe), so I can stall a little on my jet lag.

The explanation why we do this is, I suspect, as dry and boring as any other economic lecture. The old story goes that the Native American tribal elder was heard to say, "only the white man can cut an end off a blanket, sew it on the other end, and think he has a longer blanket."
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Went to a book fair at a local church this weekend ~ the highlight of my weekend......Dodged the rain and got some great deals on about a dozen books :D including an 1889 edition of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"...and inside the front cover was a certificate inscribed to "Ernest Harvey" for "punctual and regular attendance", from the School Board of London, dated April, 1889... Well Done to Ernest!

I wonder what ever became of Ernest...
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Project time! You may be able to find him on ancestry.com... if they don't want $$ to look, that is.

Today's Inanities: cleared away the debris upon my desk. Processed paperwork for work which had been buried among the debris.

Got distracted.

Found myself performing repairs to an antique radio cabinet that was/is on the "low priority" list... a little wood glue, a backer strip, and a pair of C-clamps to fix a de-lamination of the cabinet wall. Still trying to find schematic information, though.

Completed lunch and am currently basking in the glow of a cup of tea.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:52 am

Guinness Fan wrote:Went to a book fair at a local church this weekend ~ the highlight of my weekend......Dodged the rain and got some great deals on about a dozen books :D including an 1889 edition of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"...and inside the front cover was a certificate inscribed to "Ernest Harvey" for "punctual and regular attendance", from the School Board of London, dated April, 1889... Well Done to Ernest!

I wonder what ever became of Ernest...

Well, I just did a cursory search for "Ernest Harvey" on Google and out popped an Australian cricket player born in 1880. If Ernest was in elementary school when he got the book, he would have been nine years old. He could have lived in London before moving to Australia.

There is also English nobility by the name of Harvey at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_baronets

Ernest Harvey was the 1st Baronet of Threadneedle Street having been born in 1867. However, in 1889 he would have been 22 years old and probably too old to receive such a gift for perfect attendance unless they do that sort of thing at the university in England. Certainly he would have been old enough to appreciate the gift.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Olywaguy & DeckApe - thanks for some great ideas ~ I'd really like to find out more about him...I was given a subscription to Ancestry.com last year for Christmas & have rarely used it ~ now that winter has set in, I may set myself down before the computer screen and tickle the keys & see what I come up with.
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Web and Computers