Europe Today...

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Europe Today...

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:55 pm

As an American living in Europe, I very much enjoy talking to my European colleagues about the current state-of-affairs and goings-on here. The recent "take over/annexation of" or whatever you want to call it, of the Crimea has been fascinating (from a non-European "outsider" looking in). Being a history buff, I'm seeing shades of the 1938 Anschluss of Austria and the annexation of the Sudetenland being repeated.... I watch American TV news (or so called "news") and never see any mention being given to those earth-shattering events when talking about what's going on in Europe today.

Probably the wrong forum to vent, let alone to start a new thread.....but... :shock:
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Europe Today...

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:45 pm

POO tin made the cover of Time this week with his antics. Jackass.

CNN is obsessed with the missing plane. It's the only story they cover. Really sad that's what journalism has come to. Just pathetic. :roll:

The Sudetenland...boy. I haven't even heard that word since high school. :lol:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Bah. The West supported Kosovo's break from Serbia, South Sudan's split from Sudan. The fact is that Crimea has always been Russian. Khrushchev took Crimea from Russia and "gave" it to Ukraine 60 years ago, in 1954, when nobody imagined that the Soviet Union would dissolve. It was Russian for a centuries before, and remained culturally and linguistically Russian up to now.

That said, if Russia tries to annex other parts of Ukraine, then we can begin comparisons to Nazi Germany's annexations. We have to understand that Kiev is the cradle of Russian -- and all East Slavic -- civilization. It's not just a Ukrainian city. And, truth be told, I suspect that Belarus is a more likely acquisition target, since it is much closer in all socially meaningful ways to Russia than any other country.

And for an appropriate history lesson, let us also remember Reagan's modern-era, precedent-setting "invasion" of Grenada under the pretext that American medical students there were endangered. Gotta be careful bullying; others may follow your example.
doctor dan

Postby nimby » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Well most large eastern cities in Ukraine are now under pro Soviet whooos! I mean Russian control. Who will be next? :shock:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:35 am

doctor dan wrote:The fact is that Crimea has always been Russian...

Крымские татары!
solat

Postby doctor dan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 am

solat wrote:
doctor dan wrote:The fact is that Crimea has always been Russian...

Крымские татары!

Мы вместе!
doctor dan

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:08 pm

The Crimean Khanate, a vassal state of the Ottoman Empire, succeeded the Golden Horde and lasted from 1449 to 1779.[15] Until the late 18th century, Crimean Tatars maintained a massive slave trade with the Ottoman Empire, exporting about 2 million slaves from Russia and Ukraine over the period 1500–1700.[16] The Khanate was conquered by the Russian Empire under Catherine the Great in 1783. From 1853 to 1856, the peninsula was the site of the principal engagements of the Crimean War, a conflict fought between the Russian Empire and an alliance of France, Britain, the Ottoman Empire, and Sardinia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimea

They stole it. Again. Image
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:52 pm

If you're looking for a good book to read that puts the current state of affairs in the Balkans in perspective, I recommend "A Mad Catastrophe; The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire" by Geoffrey Wawro. Just read it...and am living it...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Current Affairs