The Polar Vortex

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

The Polar Vortex

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:35 pm

This is addressed to our US and Canadian members...

Having grown up in the Midwest and Northeast part of the US, I recall Winters that included loads of snow (like +12"; don't ask me for the metric conversion - but it was a s**t load) and routinely below-freezing temperatures (like -40F or below in SD/ND/MN; again, don't ask me for the metrics.....it was f'ing COLD)...with some inconvenience but no real hassle. School was not cancelled/businesses were open & flights may have been delayed, but they got out...Watching the news recently about the "Polar Vortex" and all the drama (talk about DRAMA!) that it has caused, I am a bit dismayed... Have we (US/Canadians) become "soft"????????
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: The Polar Vortex

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:58 am

They've had alot of soft winters in the eastern U.S. and this one has been fairly cold by their standards. Apparently some people in Houston had ice on their windshields so they cancelled school Friday and Monday! :lol:

We had a brutal December with 40 below wind chill and 3 feet of snow but January was dry and toasty. I guess once the vortex pooped out here it moved east.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:58 am

Today, everybody is a photojournalist/reporter/meteorologist. We don't have the wait for AP wire photos days after a winter storm to see ice, snow, and people bundled up. Today it is instant, so mainstream media pick it up. I, too, remember bitterly cold weather, but it generally lasted only a few days at a time, although I recall one January when the temperature did not go above 10° F for a month. Normally, it seems that winter was cloudy skies broken up by a day or two of sunshine here and there, cold and snowy, but more often cold, slushy and messy.

Have we become soft? Nah. We incessantly share the most minor observations and annoyances in our life, which only makes it seem like we're soft.
doctor dan

Postby nimby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Well, let me tell you... this winter bas been brutal. Yes, we've has it easy the past few years but this is terrible. The worst is when it warms up a little, everything starts to melt a bit, then BOOM! Another deep freeze and everything is solid ice. It really sucks, the grey skies, the dirty snow, the ice. I've had it.
WAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Two years in the Netherlands.......this place is ALWAYS gray and overcast - and constantly "leaking"...It's so wet, I'm starting to grow gills :roll: I could do with some decent snow right about now....just a couple inches - nothing too severe ~ something to make the place look like Winter.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Current Affairs