Keystone XL Pipeline -- Yea or Nay?

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Keystone XL Pipeline -- Yea or Nay?

Postby Rico » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Obama now has 60 days to make a decision on the pipeline that would bring oil from Alberta's tar sands through the middle of the country to be refined in the south. The President is caught squarely between two of his major constituencies: environmentalists (anti-pipeline) and organized labor (pro-pipeline). The Republicans and big business are nearly unanimous in their support for the pipeline, with a few Republican governors holding out because they face the wrath of farmers and ranchers in the pipeline's way.

What do you think?

A slice of Alberta
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: Keystone XL Pipeline -- Yea or Nay?

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:38 am

The environmentalists are lead by a bunch of Hollywood elitist hypocrites. I guess it's a real ego trip for them to appear like they care about the environment.

There was some real concern expressed by the governor of Nebraska, but that was resolved.

Oil companies are our friends. Just like scabs. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Earl Butz wrote:The environmentalists are lead by a bunch of Hollywood elitist hypocrites. I guess it's a real ego trip for them to appear like they care about the environment.

There was some real concern expressed by the governor of Nebraska, but that was resolved.

Oil companies are our friends. Just like scabs. :P

There's probably a bit of truth on both sides, and I suspect that the pipeline can be built with adequate safeguards although there will always be risks. I'm personally for it but to force a decision within 60 days is simply political and economic blackmail.

Republicans for the past several years have done everything possible to gut major protections of the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act. Maybe some want to go back to the "good old days" where air was difficult to breath and where water was too dangerous to drink? I don't trust these industries to police themselves.

Pittsburgh Mid day circa 1940 (I remember skies like this as late as the early 60's):

And I was born in a hospital directly next to this pic taken circa 1957:
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Yes you do have cleaner air now, but American manufacturing, thus the American economy has paid the price.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 am

Thanks to Obama's dithering, now the plan is to build a pipeline through B.C. and ship all the oil to China.

So now the can of worms is in B.C.'s lap. They want the jobs, but the environmentalists are going to raise holy hell.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:39 pm

So what? Think of all the good we can do for the enviroment AND people with the hundreds and hundreds of billions of $$ we raise. The Yanks don't want it? fine. We create the jobs for our own people. The yanks tried to stop any one else from buying our oil cause they wanted it (need?) and ata cut rate. Sorry Charlie, ain't gonna happen.

As for those celebrities campaigning against our oil? LOL! Most of those bitches have some of the biggest carbon foot prints on the planet. Them and their Hummers and 25,000 sf Hollywood mansions. Please! We'll gladly sell our oil to those who want it and will pay a fair price for it.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:16 pm

nimby wrote:As for those celebrities campaigning against our oil? LOL! Most of those bitches have some of the biggest carbon foot prints on the planet. Them and their Hummers and 25,000 sf Hollywood mansions. Please! We'll gladly sell our oil to those who want it and will pay a fair price for it.

Good points, but maybe in all fairness we should stop referring to what we're talking about as "oil" because it's not really oil at all. What's actually being sent through these lines is crude that is as thick as peanut butter. It's so thick that it must be heavily diluted with chemicals before it can even be moved. The chemicals used are highly acidic and corrosive, and most of the steel used for these pipelines is of questionable quality at best.

As they say, it's NIMBY....but if it were....I'd be the first one out there saying Hell No!

Just my 2 cents.

EDITED TO ADD THIS: The expression above is just one citizen's opinion, which in the USA matters nothing. What's ironic is that the same opinion could be held by millions of other American citizens as well, which wouldn't matter either. After all we live in a plutocracy where we only pretend that the opinions and votes of people matter. So no need to worry...the pipeline will go through....easy peasy.
Rico
Veteran Member

Return to Current Affairs