US vs. Western Europe

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

US vs. Western Europe

Postby olywaguy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:05 pm

There is this very interesting research done by the Pew Center on how Americans think and contrasted with their Western European allies.

One part of the articles includes views on homosexuality that you might find interesting especially the numbers that come out for the U.S.

The American-Western European Values Gap
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: US vs. Western Europe

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Wow, that is interesting. The US numbers on homosexual acceptance is higher than I thought. And so are the European numbers.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:37 am

The thread title seems to be missing something....Canada. Reminded by a recent post from Blue Truck Red State this week, I became thoroughly convinced that the northern part of the western hemisphere has to be among the best places to live and to be free.

On Wednesday, December 7, the U.S. Secretary of State made the historic declaration that "gay rights are human rights" before the United Nations in Geneva. The speech shook large parts of the world and the assembly yet it barely got any coverage in the U.S. by the major news networks. Why? Was it too hot? A link to the speech is here: http://bcove.me/qs3211sh

If you don't want to watch the 30 minute video, the text to the speech is here. Either way...it's worth your time and will have you standing up cheering.
http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2011/12/178368.htm

On the same day, President Obama issued a memorandum to federal agencies about the need to use American foreign aid and diplomacy, including granting asylum to gay and lesbians.

Wayne Benson of "Truth Wins Out" commented on these two events noting:

The list of countries that recently declared war on sexual minorities include: Russia, Nigeria, Cameroon, Uganda, Iran, and Zimbabwe. For the contemptible despots who run these underachieving nations, fomenting homophobia makes political sense. By turning homosexuals into bogeymen these rulers can conceal their corruption and appear moral through the blessings of craven clergy. . . .

But today’s actions by the administration and Clinton’s speech were different. The words were spoken with true vision and encrusted in values. There was clarity and passion, and no one was left wondering where our country stood on the rights of LGBT people.

This was one of those times where our nation demonstrated true international leadership and made me incredibly proud to be an American. It was stirring to witness our country act decisively as a force for moral good. There was no patronizing that relegated the LGBT community to the role of liberalism’s unwanted stepchild. There were no carefully crafted and focus grouped code words that sugarcoated the abuses – just the honest truth spoken from the heart. . . .

The stunning events in Geneva mark the moment Barack Obama secured a national LGBT vote for his 2012 re-election campaign. Today we felt hope – but more importantly, we witnessed monumental change.

My own question to any LGTB friends supporting Republicans: Do you really think that a Republican administration or power structure in the United States would speak such statements to the world community, or put forth such policies? If you do, please help me understand why you think that.

Finally, don't forget that it was exactly five years ago this week that the Canadian Parliament voted for the third and final time to affirm equal marriage in that country which finally ended all debate on the matter in the True North.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Wow!! What an incredibly powerful moment in time. Bravo!!!! I still think Hillary would have made a great President. If I were American, I'd be a democrat, not an extremeist democrat, but one none the less.

As for Russia, human rights was never at the top of their list anyway, that's why they will never be the respected superpower that they crave so much. A country is nothing if they don't respect their people. Pity. Russia does have such potental.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Current Affairs