Target coming to Canada!

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Target coming to Canada!

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:28 am

Oooh I'm so excited! Is this a really high class retailer? They're taking over a cheap Canadian discount chain called Zellers. The kind of place you find aborted fetuses in the washrooms.

I did live in the U.S. for awhile back in the 70's but we never shopped there. We always went to Sears or J.C. Penney or Montgomery Ward.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Re: Target coming to Canada!

Postby DeckApe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 am

Target has really stepped up its game to separate itself from the stigma of K-Mart, which has always been perceived as being low-rent/low-budget. (And, come to think of it, is a lot like Zellers, though K-Mart closed their cafeterias some years back.)

However, Target also gave a whacking big campaign contribution to an anti-gay candidate in... uh oh. One of the 'M' states. They've apologized for it, but I'm still taking my pink money elsewhere.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:13 pm

I think Seattle had the classiest department store I have ever seen....the downtown Nordstrom. There was a guy playing a grand piano on the main floor! Kmart went belly up here a long time ago. I think about a year after Walmart moved in. Come to think of it, Walmart is what made Zellers panic. They started selling groceries and tried to imitate Walmart, but did a really bad job of it. They should have just left things alone.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Earl Butz wrote:Oooh I'm so excited! Is this a really high class retailer? They're taking over a cheap Canadian discount chain called Zellers. The kind of place you find aborted fetuses in the washrooms.

I did live in the U.S. for awhile back in the 70's but we never shopped there. We always went to Sears or J.C. Penney or Montgomery Ward.

Wow, thats harsh!! I've shopped in my nearby Zellers with no problem at all, but I guess it all depends on your neighbourhood. I think Target is on par to Zellers in many ways. They even sell the same brands, just with a little more selection. Nordstrom's is similar to Holt Renfrew here, though it's been a long time since I was silly enough to pay $700 for a sweater; I decided to pay off my mortgage instead. I don't buy anything unless it's on sale now. LOL!! My favourite U. S. retailer is Kohl's and Macy's.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Target is a discount big-box store, but not icky like Wal-Mart.
edu999

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:57 am

I find Target to be a very good moderately priced store. I live across from one. When I want to buy some good kitchen related stuff, I go there. Fairly good clothes. They even have their own food brand (Archer Farms) which has fairly good quality snacks. The one that I go to does have a snack bar next to the entrance that sells hot dogs, burgers and such. A fairly good electronics department. You will do well with a Target in your town.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby DeckApe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:20 am

I found Target to be a reasonably good store, but also discovered that (in my neck of the woods) I could achieve more at the same prices plus my grocery shopping at the Fred Meyer down the street. And eliminate a stop. :D
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 am

Well it's official....Target is a bust. They lost 1 billion dollars their first year in Canada. Their stores are pathetic. No selection and no inventory. And no customers.

I was extremely disappointed the one time I paid a visit. Their men's wear section is the size of a postage stamp. The layout of the store is beyond stupid. Everything is upstairs and to get there, you have to take an escalator at the back of the store.

The place is a dump!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 pm

What a disaster target is, but yet they still march on...

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=http%3 ... re-in-2016
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Current Affairs