Where NOT to book your next vacation

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Where NOT to book your next vacation

Postby Rico » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Was going to post this in Travel, but it's newsworthy because the U.N. just passed a resolution (79-70) which condemns the arbitrary execution of whole classes of humanity, from street kids to indigenous groups. The resolution was to have included sexual minorities, but a bunch of nations balked at protection for LGBTs. The U.N. General Assembly then approved an amendment that removed sexual minorities from the list. The vote was 79-70. Here’s the list of countries that want to reserve the right to kill the gay:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Brunei Dar-Sala, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, China, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Remember....this wasn't an resolution affirming gay marriage or anything radical like that....it was simply a resolution condemning arbitrary executions! Any surprises?
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: Where NOT to book your next vacation

Postby nimby » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Wow, looks like I'll be sticking to my favourite holiday spot then.
Last edited by nimby on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 pm

Amazing isn't it that Western governments collectively spend billions upon billions sending foreign aid to many of these places to recover from natural disasters, famines, etc. Also remember the billions in dollars and especially the countless number of injured and dead young men and women fighting and dying in many of these wretched places. Sure, much of the later is done for our own self-interest (i.e. oil), but I think it's about time to cut the cord and start letting some of these places rot on the vine.

Now ask me if you want to know what I really think?
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:21 am

So you want me to cancel my vacation to Somalia? :P

It's still a primitive world out there....I've always known that. I never take for granted what a great country I live in. 8)
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby LtotheP » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Im amazed that places like South Africa and China (although a lot less then SA) voted for this, or rather against it...

I mean isnt same-sex marriage legal there?

I think some of these votes are just to appease the country's neighbors...While I live in a country where being gay isnt a problem (something Im learning more and more), I think it's time we start advocating for our government to push for world wide gay rights!

Afghanistan really urks me...In Canada our "liberation" of Afghan is always talked about in terms of how much we have helped them (read: westernized their culture) and the women/girls in the country - funny how they dont bring up how backwards they are for gay rights!
LtotheP

Postby Rico » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:31 pm

LtotheP wrote:Afghanistan really urks me...In Canada our "liberation" of Afghan is always talked about in terms of how much we have helped them (read: westernized their culture) and the women/girls in the country - funny how they dont bring up how backwards they are for gay rights!

That's an excellent point and the one that bothers me the most. I'm tending to think that we should forget about trying to modernize these places. Hell, it seems like culturally and socially most skipped the 18th and 19th centuries altogether, and that's much too much ground to make up. IOW....f-em all.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby LtotheP » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Rico wrote:
LtotheP wrote:Afghanistan really urks me...In Canada our "liberation" of Afghan is always talked about in terms of how much we have helped them (read: westernized their culture) and the women/girls in the country - funny how they dont bring up how backwards they are for gay rights!

That's an excellent point and the one that bothers me the most. I'm tending to think that we should forget about trying to modernize these places. Hell, it seems like culturally and socially most skipped the 18th and 19th centuries altogether, and that's much too much ground to make up. IOW....f-em all.

BTW do you have a link/source that shows who voted for the amendment?
LtotheP

Postby Rico » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:01 pm

LtotheP wrote:BTW do you have a link/source that shows who voted for the amendment?

There are a vareity of stories, some better than others. Here's one with additional links embedded within: http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/un-general-assembly-votes-to-allow-gays-to-be-executed-without-cause/politics/2010/11/20/15449
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:15 am

Not many places I care to go any more. I used to like going to the USA but the border is just a huge hassle. Shame there are times i'd like to just go to Milan MI to run my car and can't be bothered with waiting an hour then getting pulled in and all my sh*t tore apart just because I wanted to go there and spend some money and make a few passes.

Canada is big and very pretty. I'll just stay here thanks. The border thing sours me because I really love the US.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby olywaguy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:21 am

I found the official recorded vote on Resolution A/C.3/65/L.29/Rev.1.

And here goes the original draft written on 28 October 2010.

At the bottom of page 3 from the UN Journal, dated November 16, 2010, you will find link to the revised document as well as three others.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:35 am

Schlodesss wrote:Not many places I care to go any more. I used to like going to the USA but the border is just a huge hassle. Shame there are times i'd like to just go to Milan MI to run my car and can't be bothered with waiting an hour then getting pulled in and all my sh*t tore apart just because I wanted to go there and spend some money and make a few passes.

Canada is big and very pretty. I'll just stay here thanks. The border thing sours me because I really love the US.

I drive over the border all the time and never have a problem. Which border do you cross over at?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Majority of the countries listed there are places nobody would ever want to visit for any sort of vacation, anyway.
edu999

Postby backpacker » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:34 pm

I am surprised to see the Bahamas. Nassau is one of the stops on a cruise we are taking in January, makes me think about not spending my money there.
backpacker

Postby Davy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Most of the countries listed by Rico are in red, except for China and South Africa, where laws are very liberal as far as homosexuality goes. South Africa is the only African country that permits gay marriage, gay adoption, and bans discrimination and hate crimes against gays. China bans discrimination and allows transgendered people to legally change their sex. The remaining countries listed by Rico are in yellow, because although the law does not prohibit homosexuality, they are not necessarily places that are friendly to gays. A few countries were not included in Rico's list that should have been, such as Mauritania, which punishes homosexuality by death.

Blue countries are friendly to gays and/or have anti-discrimination and hate crime laws and/or allow same-sex marriage.

Davy

Return to Current Affairs