It Gets Better

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

It Gets Better

Postby madsglen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Raw, plain-spokenly eloquent and emotional, this video of a Texas councilman's plea to young gay or questioning kids (and everyone, really) is one of the most powerful I've seen on the "It Gets Better" channel (started by Seattle's own Dan Savage). Maybe because I can relate to the experiences and feelings of a guy who grew up a small-town farmboy like me. Or maybe because I can understand on so many levels to what he was feeling as I'm sure so many of us who visit here can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4

I'll never know the reasons why two friends from my class (two out of a graduating class of 48) took their own lives years ago, but looking back I realize there were some suspiciions. Sad to say, even though there have been so many horribly sad and maddening stories on the news lately, suicide among gay or questioning youth is not a new phenomena. Hopefully these YouTube messages and the press about organizations like The Trevor Project will help. The message is a strong one. Not a promise that everything in life will be perfect, just "better". Hopefully, Joel's plea here will be enough.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Re: It Gets Better

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks for posting; VERY moving....I hope youngsters everywhere have a chance to view it.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:15 am

This is an interesting topic. There's all sorts of videos on YouTube about this. But I wonder....does it get better? I just watched a video titled "It doesn't get better" that examines this.

But there are tons of videos on the positive side too. The discussion itself is a good idea.

Gay kids are still committing suicide though. Not good.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Some kids have always been bullied, and some kids will awlays committ suicide. So tragic, but that's the facts. We have to correct society for it's bullying ways, but we also have to equipt our kids with a better respect for life too. No one ever said life was fair, so why are all these kids offing themselves because of being bullied? It really does break my heart when people do that. The damage they leave behind, and for generations to come. So sad.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Cachasa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:34 pm

The main problem with Savage's campaine is the idea that, "it get's better". Why should anyone have to hold out untill highschool or whatever is over? We need to make it better now. Don't get me wrong the sentament is there but it's the wrong direction to take. Esspecially in light of what happened recently here in Canada, with Jamie Hubly.
http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/Gay_ ... 10909.aspx

At least people are talking about it now.
Cachasa

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Yeah....and life is way more complicated than that. Your sexuality is only one part of your identity. My life actually wasn't too bad in high school, but it took a turn for the worse in my twenties. A crappy job and loneliness were way more stressful than being gay.

So it's pretty much a lie to make the blanket statement "your life will get better". No it won't. Or maybe it will. It depends on alot of things. I'm sure some homeless guy lying in a gutter somewhere wondering why his life didn't get better would laugh at the whole notion.

On the other hand, it's good to acknowledge there's a problem. And kids need help. So yay for that.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 am

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Return to Current Affairs