September 11, 2001 ~ 2010...where were you?

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

September 11, 2001 ~ 2010...where were you?

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:27 pm

It's hard to believe, but the 9th anniversary of 911 is upon us...So much has changed in the world since the tragic events of that day...

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news?

Me; I was in a bar having a quiet pint after work, it was about 9pm in Singapore ~ I'll never forget.......
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: September 11, 2001 ~ 2010...where were you?

Postby nimby » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:44 am

I was at home in bed when the first plane hit. My wife called and told me what happened, so I got up, grabbed a coffee and flicked on the T.V. I watched the rest transpire live all day. And I was just sick. I was in Mahatten at the TWC just two weeks prior.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Well I live in Pacific time and so it happened early in the morning around 6 am-ish. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Then, I went to work and spent the rest of the day creating my 9/11 website...one of the first that went online. During its peak, the website was linked to thousands of pages.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:30 pm

FYI there is an incredible documentary playing on CBC's The Passionate Eye called, "102 Minutes That Changed The World." Absolutely stellar and shocking. View the horror lile you never have before. :(
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 am

I was on a training trip to Spokane, WA and had just gotten up to get ready for the day. Had the news on while I was in the bathroom getting ready and once I realized what was going on just sat on the end of the bed and watched the reports of the damage to the first tower. Then saw the second plane hit. And the first tower collapse. Went to the office where I was supposed to do some systems training but we eventually just bagged that as we were all watching the news. The airforce base outside of Spokane was on high alert (big deal in a small city like that) and they were bringing planes into the airport there. Luckily I already had my hotel room for a few more days. Spent off-work hours for the next few days holed up in the hotel room watching the news. By the time I was scheduled to leave, air traffic was still locked down so ended up getting the second-to-last rental car available at the airport and driving the five hours home to Seattle.

My niece who's a flight attendant for a major airline had just cleared U.S. airspace on a trip to South America and was grounded the whole time in Brazil. My older brother happened to be on a work-related trip to Russia and made it to Frankfurt before he could go no further. He figured he'd have a better time finding any flight out from there. My boss was flying that morning on a trip similar to mine and was grounded in Wyoming on her way to Los Angeles. Needless to say, her drive home to Minnesota was longer than mine.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby DeckApe » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:51 am

I was hanging off the side of a ferryboat, washing windows. The captain came and briefed us on what was happening.

Years later, I did rib him a little bit about his timing... the ledge is only about a foot wide out there and I asked, "couldn't you have waited until we were in off the ledge?"

Even so, I think it still took about an hour to sink in what had happened.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Return to Current Affairs