New Zealand Quake

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

New Zealand Quake

Postby madsglen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Here's hoping Alan and any friends he has in the Christchurch area are OK. I'd say a 7.1 quake qualifies as enough of a "big one", thanks very much. At least here in Seattle we'd certainly feel that way. The damages shown on our newscasts looked pretty substantial. Think most of us who live near the "ring of fire" or subduction zones just hope it doesn't happen in the middle of the night like happened today.

A quote from last year...
solat wrote:We're due for another high magnitude earthquake.
The last biggie was @1855, and it created a peninsular out of an island, a tsunami and added several sq kilometres of building land that the city now rests on.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Re: New Zealand Quake

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:07 am

I'm just glad Hurricane Earl Butz didn't do more damage. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 am

Hey!
Sorry I haven't been around that much over the last few months.

I did feel the earthquake. Shook the house and woke me up 4.30AM. And I'm @ 5-600KMs away from the epicentre.

Do have friend down that way. He lost two chimneys on the night, and another with the aftershock last night.

Pretty amazed no-one died. Had another mate staying in the City Centre. He was wandering the places he'd walked the night before: collapsed verandahs, burning cars, debris everywhere.

I'm contemplating moving to Australia. Al they have to worry about is a water shortage, awful accents, rampant sharks and heinous snakes.
solat

Postby Cajun » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 am

solat wrote:Hey!
Sorry I haven't been around that much over the last few months.

I did feel the earthquake. Shook the house and woke me up 4.30AM. And I'm @ 5-600KMs away from the epicentre.

Do have friend down that way. He lost two chimneys on the night, and another with the aftershock last night.

Pretty amazed no-one died. Had another mate staying in the City Centre. He was wandering the places he'd walked the night before: collapsed verandahs, burning cars, debris everywhere.

I'm contemplating moving to Australia. Al they have to worry about is a water shortage, awful accents, rampant sharks and heinous snakes.

Ask how big the sharks and snakes are, then make your decision :lol:

Seriously though, glad to hear you're in one piece and well, buddy. Over on this end of the pond, we're not as up to date on exactly WHERE a natural disaster is occurring over there, so it's nice to find out that you weren't affected directly. Same as when we have a hurricane over here, so to speak!!!

Best wishes to you and your friends/family - we're thinking about you, and sending good vibes :wink:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Return to Current Affairs