SnapScouts

What's up in the news today? If it's newsworthy, it should be discussed here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

SnapScouts

Postby Phoenix6570 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:04 pm

I saw a friend post this link today.... http://snapscouts.org/

If you've ever read 1984 you can already see the parallels with something like this. I think this is very dangerous and shouldn't be going on. Americans or any one else for that matter shouldn't be used as spies for the government. Once this door opens it will have horrible results. The fact that this is being encouraged and made to look fun is a clear indication that this will go in the wrong direction.

In my opinion no good can come from this it will only lead to witch hunts and rampant paranoia. Law enforcement should be the only ones looking for crime and stopping it not regular citizens.

Any thoughts?
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Re: SnapScouts

Postby Daknee » Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 pm

I'm with you on this one Phoenix. Getting people to spy and tell on each other. Kinda reminds me a bit of tactics used my the Nazi regime. Many would argue that it is a good thing and at times maybe but in the long run only evil will come of it.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Re: SnapScouts

Postby furface » Wed May 12, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm not so sure this is a real operation, but rather an elaborate ruse or maybe scam.

The company behind this is shown as Minitru, LLC. That's a play on words from Orwell's 1984, the Ministry of Truth responsible for collection and dissemination of 'facts' was referred to as MiniTrue. One of the developers is listed as Winston O'Brien. Another reference to 1984; the two main characters are named Winston and O'Brien. There are references to several groups all of which are either far right or mercenaries for hire. They also tout the anonymous submission of reports, but imply you can earn badges and rewards from participation. Doesn't sound very anonymous to me. Then there's the reference to their secure, super secret servers where the reports are held pending authentication by their analysts. Give me a break! :roll:

As far as I'm concerned this is either a militia or tea party wet dream or a left wing attempt to pull folks' chains. Just cause it's found on the interwebs thingy, don't mean it be real or true.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Return to Current Affairs