Romance?

Talk about romance and dating, or lack there of.

Moderators: selective_soldier, olywaguy, solat

Romance?

Postby nimby » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 am

Can there be true romance between two men? On most gay forums I read, all I see is sex, sex, and more fu***ng sex. Where is the romance? The affection? Does it exist? Can it? :shock:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Re: Romance?

Postby DeckApe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:29 am

This question deserves more than a simple yes-no answer.

I believe that there can be romance between two men, yes. But I also think it's fair to say that romance is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think you'd consider it romantic if I were to give you a red helium balloon, but my man would be swept off his feet. (It's an inside joke between us.)

That being said, we're also horndogs and we admit it.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:08 am

You'd be surprised what I consider romantic. The cornier the better! Driving out of the city just to watch a meteor shower at night, grabbing a quick take out lunch and sitting in a cemetery to eat, a spontaneous grope at an unexpected moment, gentle snogging and pillow talk. It's all good. But I don't see/hear a lot of this kind of stuff between gays on the boards I'm on. I hope it does exist.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 pm

It does at our house, and that's all I can vouch for. The meteor shower sounds like fun, though. :)
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 am

Well I've never eaten there, but the best place to watch the fireworks at the Calgary Stampede is in a cemetery at the top of a hill. Why they built a cemetery at one of the most beautiful view points in the entire city is something I will never understand...

The world is run by dummies I've concluded.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:14 pm

DeckApe wrote: But I also think it's fair to say that romance is in the eye of the beholder.

Absolutely it's in the eye of the beholder and I think it's probably safe to say it comes from intimacy. Which, contrary to what many might think, is not necessarily related to sex but can, of course, sometimes lead that direction. Deck's red baloon example is a great example of a romantic gesture because it's all about acknowledgement and a shared experience that belongs to the two of them alone. It's personal. It's the things that say "I see you" or "I appreciate you" or "I love you because..." or "I remember" or even "Thank you for loving me". And because it's so personal it's not always something that would read to someone else as particularly romantic. It can be completely innocent to others in the same room but say volumes between the two people involved. And it can be a tricky thing, especially when there are expectations involved (which, to me is a romance killer). Part of the reason you probably won't see much about the topic on forums is because it's so personal and may not translate into words very well. And maybe because of the nature of the forum itself.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Return to Dating, Commitment and Romance