Whose Responsibility?

Talk about romance and dating, or lack there of.

Moderators: selective_soldier, olywaguy, solat

Whose Responsibility?

Postby Davy » Mon May 09, 2011 9:30 am

Is it the responsibility of an HIV+ person to disclose this to his partners

or

Is it the responsibility of each person to assume their partner is HIV+ and act accordingly

Where I come down on the issue:

It is always the responsibility a person who has HIV to disclose this to sex partners. Should people always use a condom? Sure. Do they? No. That's reality. That's probably not the "politically correct" way to view things. But that's my take on this age-old debate. What's your position?

Edit: I should clarify. Assuming that everyone certainly has a personal responsibility to use protection in the first place, the question is where does the moral responsibility lie?
Last edited by Davy on Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davy

Re: Whose Responsibility?

Postby Phoenix6570 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 am

I think its the responsibility of the person who has something to inform their partner as to their status. If they know and choose not to say something then they need to deal with the consequences and rightfully so. To do that is disrespectful for a plethora of reasons. With that being said on the flip side you're always responsible in protecting yourself. If you're engaging in behavior that can lead to a life altering event than you need to be aware and mindful of who you're sleeping with.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon May 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Actually in Canada it is the LAW that an HIV + person must disclose their status. Morally it is the right thing for anyone to do, to disclose their known STI's. But as I'm not a very trusting person, I chose to not anonymously sleep around and prefer to stick with my regular partners. I know they feel the same and I trust them.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:16 pm

The one who's HIV+. He/she MUST disclose that fact before any sex happens. Otherwise, he/she is nothing but a sociopath.
edu999

Return to Dating, Commitment and Romance