Detecting Flirting

Talk about romance and dating, or lack there of.

Moderators: selective_soldier, olywaguy, solat

Postby olywaguy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:33 am

I was doing my laundry at the apartment complex's laundromat which is located a few doors from my place. When I went to pick up my clothes from the dryer, a guy that lives there was also doing some laundry. He was complaining about the smell of the room because sometime between my last trip there and when he got into the laundromat, someone was in there because it smelled I thought it was him wearing cologne or something but it wasn't. We got to chat some. He introduced himself to me and I did likewise. Gave me a very strong hand shake. He is fairly short but very muscular...very attractive.

I kind of suspect he may be gay, bisexual or at least bi-curious. Why do I suspect so? Because he was wearing a belt. :D Thus far, my experience has been that, these days anyway, only gay guys wear belts. :P So far, it hasn't failed me.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby foxeyes2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Well all 8 of my male coworkers are wearing belts and I can assure you that none of them are gay, bisexual, bi-curious, or even bionic so I don't think it would be wise to place any confidence in your theory.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby CollegePepper » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:16 pm

olywaguy wrote:I was doing my laundry at the apartment complex's laundromat which is located a few doors from my place. When I went to pick up my clothes from the dryer, a guy that lives there was also doing some laundry. He was complaining about the smell of the room because sometime between my last trip there and when he got into the laundromat, someone was in there because it smelled I thought it was him wearing cologne or something but it wasn't. We got to chat some. He introduced himself to me and I did likewise. Gave me a very strong hand shake. He is fairly short but very muscular...very attractive.

I kind of suspect he may be gay, bisexual or at least bi-curious. Why do I suspect so? Because he was wearing a belt. :D Thus far, my experience has been that, these days anyway, only gay guys wear belts. :P So far, it hasn't failed me.

That may be true only in your town, or maybe within a certain generation. If thats the case, then go for it.

But i can assure you that such is not the case at all on the east coast.
CollegePepper

Postby nimby » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Sorry olywayguy, but I have never yet seen a man wear a suit without a belt. And Wall Street and Bay Street and any other business community have a lot of suits. They can't all be gay.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm

I was on a plane last week and midflight the pilot walked out of the flight deck and was wearing suspenders. It looked very strange. :shock:
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 am

I have worn on suspenders. It is a lot better than belts and does sets you apart from others. You remembered the pilot didn't you?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby solitaryman1969 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Well, I have been failed by my flirting detection yet again.

Yesterday while in one of the stores that I service, a really good looking guy was shopping and I noticed he had on the same boots as I did.

After helping him with his selection, and answered the questions he had about the clothing line I represent, I asked him about his boots.

He was shocked and asked (and in his words) "how does a hardworking Canadian boy knows about the R.M. Williams boots?"

I told him I had on the same pair as he, and told him I had several pairs.

I found out he's an Australian on a business trip from Hong Kong.

We talked a bit more, then shook his hand and said "Nice meeting you".

He replied, ever so cheeky..."Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

All I remember was the hair on my neck standing, and I'm sure I was blushing...felt really good. :lol:

If only I could have read the signs earlier, I would have asked him out for coffee, or beer...or even "breakfast". :wink:

What I really wanted to do was get lost in his amazing chest hair and have him give me a great big bear hug, among other things. :twisted:
"Time is priceless, yet it costs us nothing. You can do anything you want with it, except own it. You can spend it, but you can't keep it. And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back. It's just gone."
solitaryman1969

Postby glas_scot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:33 am

My gaydar is bad, maybe even broke! All the guys I think are cute are straight (To be fair, I like 30+ aged guys, masculine and hairy!).

But theres one guy who works in a music store I can't get off my mind. I go in once a week after my last lecture and buy something as he is always on a till. He is very friendly and has a great smile. I always make eye contact, especially when saying thanks.

I ended coming across him on the website "Gaydar" so now I definitely know he is gay. But I'm to shy to try and be a bit more forward. I'm sure though I have seen him looking at me a couple of times while I have been walking around the shop.

olwaguy, any updates on BSG?
glas_scot

Postby solitaryman1969 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:56 am

Glas scot...ask him out for coffee!

If things don't work out. maybe you'll get a good friend out of it.
"Time is priceless, yet it costs us nothing. You can do anything you want with it, except own it. You can spend it, but you can't keep it. And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back. It's just gone."
solitaryman1969

Postby glas_scot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:55 pm

^No way! I can barely open my mouth nevermind ask him out! And I always make a fool of myself!

Anyway I'm not even "out" yet and he's 35 (I'm only 19).
glas_scot

Postby foxeyes2 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:27 pm

glas_scot wrote:^No way! I can barely open my mouth nevermind ask him out! And I always make a fool of myself!

Anyway I'm not even "out" yet and he's 35 (I'm only 19).

but you don't have to be out to see if he wants to grab a cup of coffee or a sandwich or whatever. Or ask him about his taste in music or what he would recommend. You will not die of embarrasment. No one ever has.
So be a little bold and see what can happen.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby glas_scot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! Still a newbie here, but you guys are very welcoming and reading the different threads has helped me a lot. I highly appreciate that. :)

I'm going to go in again sometime next week and you never know, I may just get the courage to ask him out!
glas_scot

Postby CollegePepper » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:23 pm

glas_scot wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! Still a newbie here, but you guys are very welcoming and reading the different threads has helped me a lot. I highly appreciate that. :)

I'm going to go in again sometime next week and you never know, I may just get the courage to ask him out!

When you ask him, just be forthright about it like it's not a big deal.

Just say "I was wondering if you'd like to go out for coffee some time." Period DOT. Just slip it in at the end of your conversation.

Straight and to the point.

If you seem too nervous or something like that it would be a turn off.
CollegePepper

Postby olywaguy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 pm

CollegePepper wrote:
glas_scot wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! Still a newbie here, but you guys are very welcoming and reading the different threads has helped me a lot. I highly appreciate that. :)

When you ask him, just be forthright about it like it's not a big deal.

Just say "I was wondering if you'd like to go out for coffee some time." Period DOT. Just slip it in at the end of your conversation.

Straight and to the point.

If you seem too nervous or something like that it would be a turn off.

I don't know...I think I would find it kind of cute if a guy felt all nervous about asking me out. But, I do agree about being casual. Just tell him something like: "I was about to go get some coffee at Starbuck's, would you care to join me?" If he can't make it, then ask: "Can I bring you back a coffee?"

Through it all, continue to make eye contact. Just look straight at his eyes and smile so he can get the message you are interested.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Thu May 07, 2009 12:12 am

I've had a very good flirting day with four different guys. :D :P

1. Last night, I was chatting with a guy I met on campus. He's from China and in his early 20s. He came to the college to learn English as part of the ESL (English as a Second Language) program. He is very young but also very ambitious. He seems to know what he wants out of his life and already has plans leading up to his goals. He's from the province in China that had that earthquake last year. He is working on getting into real estate in China and is making all sorts of deals with American developers, etc. Anyway, he popped in on MSN messenger and we were chatting. I mentioned wanting to go see the new Star Trek and how much I hated going to the movies alone. He said was willing to go with me since he wants to go as well. The guy is straight btw, but I do consider him a good friend. I need to call him to verify. That will be on Friday night.

2. Well, after a campuswide meeting at the college to talk about the budget cuts, I returned to the Reference Desk. I did not eat any lunch (it was 2:45 pm) so I went downstairs to the Deli to get something to eat and to take back with me to the Reference Desk. While at the deli, I saw someone I hadn't seen in a long time...a student who I suspect is gay. We've always flirted with each other. We have started talking and catching up with each other. We went from the counter to a table. An older woman that is a good friend of his and that is in the same class as he is, stopped by to give him a gift. Apparently, he had given her a nice card last Christmas and so she gave him this over the shoulder kind of bag from Ecuador...handmade. She had noticed how his old one was too old. She mentioned something about Hello Kitty and it so happens he likes Hello Kitty (it just made me think of Joe). When I asked him if he had a Hello Kitty phone, he responded by saying "I wish!" From there we went up to the Library and he sat and chatted with me at the Reference Desk for a while. He was at the Library to get some studying time. I mentioned that I was going to see the Star Trek movie on Friday evening. He said he was working that night. I told him we could go on Saturday. I had told him that I was going there with my Chinese friend. But I also told him I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I could probably see Star Trek ten times and not be bored by it. He got my number and my email address and I got his. He needed to go upstairs to get some studying done.

3. Well, not ten minutes later after my friend left, another student that I have known for over a year now passed by the Reference Desk. I said Hi and he said Hi but he needed to go upstairs first. When he returned, he wanted to get my phone number. A few days ago, we had made an informal arrangement to go see a movie at Capital Theater in downtown. It is one of those old theaters with a balcony with only one screen. They usually show a lot of independent movies. He works there as a volunteer and has access to free passes to the movies. We had talked about doing something together and he wanted to go see Grand Torino with Clint Eastwood. So, he will call me and see where we go from there. He has had girlfriends but I seem to suspect that he might be bi or bi curious. I don't know this for sure. Even if he isn't, he is a good friend and I enjoy his company.

4. Well, after work (which ended at 5 pm), I was headed to my car when I saw someone I met only a couple of months ago at a college event. Met him when I went to program concerning gay issues and only gay folks were allowed in. It was more like a group counseling type of thing. There were only about seven people there including the facilitator. Well, Bill was there and he sat next to me. He's very nice and smart. Tall with dreadlocks. He was waiting at the bus stop for a city bus to take him to the post office. So I offered him a ride. He accepted. He needed to take a card for his mom for mother's day. Afterwards, I asked him where he wanted to go, he said he wanted to go back home to his place on campus and I was headed back to campus when I though..."ooo, there is a Starbuck's nearby" so I asked him if he wanted to go to Starbuck's and he said yes. He had a frappucino and I had a hot chocolate. The whole time from the bus stop to Starbuck's and back to campus, we never stopped talking. There were no awkward pauses at all and it all just went naturally. He likes scifi movies, jazz, he has traveled some, you name it...oh yeah, like me, he hated Lord of the Rings :D. A definite plus in my book!! When we talked about movies, I told him we needed to go see the new Terminator movie. He also likes Harry Potter and that is coming out this summer. The only thing I regret is that I didn't give him my phone number when I dropped him off. This encounter really made my day. :D
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby jkav » Thu May 07, 2009 12:33 am

olywaguy wrote:I've had a very good flirting day with four different guys. :D :P

Stud!
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Thu May 07, 2009 1:17 am

jkav wrote:
olywaguy wrote:I've had a very good flirting day with four different guys. :D :P

Stud!

LOL.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sat May 09, 2009 10:58 am

Oh my!!! Just had this gorgeous guy in my office and we flirted for halF an hour!!! He looks to be in his late thirties. The catch?

HIS 77 Y/O MOM WAS WITH US !!!!!

At the end of the meeting he goes, " if you have any problems, it's best you give me a call," smiled, looked me right in the eyes (his beautiful big blue eyes) and slid me his cell phone #.

:shock:

Gotta love a guy who takes care of his mom.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat May 09, 2009 2:44 pm

I too like guys that take care of their mom. If that makes them "momma's boys" then so be it. I try to look after my mom as well.

Well, of course, Nimby you have to give him a call. He did all that in front of his mother too.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 pm

I already did LOL LOL!!!. Told him his mom's loan was approved. He's bringing me a coffee when they come back next week. It's just harmless flirting, but it's nice to know I still got it!!!.

:wink:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat May 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Did you approve his mom's loan only because he was so attracted to you?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sat May 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Of course not. Because she looks like my mom. :lol:

Retired (permenant income), Home owner ($800,000 equity) and very clean, substancial Trans Union bureau, with minimal debt. AAA+ client.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun May 10, 2009 11:12 pm

Not to sound mean, but it is relieving I'll never have to worry about taking care of my mom (though I could leave flowers at her grave, or visit it at least once a year). At 34, I'd be worrying about the day I'd have to (help) take cake care of her, even though I'd likely refuse to, as long as I'm still struggling myself. My brother was more that type anyway. Even gay guys I know whose families are against their "lifestyle" seem to get a little shocked at how distant I am from my family. But it's just not my thing. And at my own volition. To each his own!
J

Postby CollegePepper » Mon May 11, 2009 7:38 pm

nimby wrote:Oh my!!! Just had this gorgeous guy in my office and we flirted for halF an hour!!! He looks to be in his late thirties. The catch?

HIS 77 Y/O MOM WAS WITH US !!!!!

At the end of the meeting he goes, " if you have any problems, it's best you give me a call," smiled, looked me right in the eyes (his beautiful big blue eyes) and slid me his cell phone #.

:shock:

Gotta love a guy who takes care of his mom.

Are you sure he wasn't just flirting to maximize the chances that the loan was approved?

You'd be surprised the lengths people will go in situations like that.

Hopefully he genuinely liked you though.
CollegePepper

Postby olywaguy » Fri May 15, 2009 11:00 am

Update on the flirting part (see May 6 post above.

1. I went out with my friend and his buddies for the first night of Star Trek. His friends were really nice and cute. One of them was from Russia and the other was from Kazakhstan. They were really nice guys. We had a lot of fun watching the movie. Went to Starbuck's after the movie. Looks like we might get to do this again soon. It was a good night.

2. My friend and I went to see Star Trek on Saturday (yes, I saw the movie two days in a row). Afterwards, we went to a Thai restaurant and we talked for a long time. He's an activist. That day he spent the morning at one of the ports protesting militarization. We had a good time.

3. Haven't seen this guy since I posted. Hopefully, I will hear from him soon.

4. I had not seen him since we went out for coffee. He's been busy finishing up a school project. But, he did stop by the Reference Desk a couple of days ago and asked me about going to see a movie together. He got my number and email address and I got his. So, it is looking good.
Carlos

olywaguy

PreviousNext

Return to Dating, Commitment and Romance