Election 2010

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 pm

chidiver wrote:The results of the Coleman Franken Senate race in Minnesota are still being divined by election judges. It is more than a little scary that some people are so incapable of following directions that they can't color in a circle for the candidate of their choice.

Here is your opportunity to play election judge:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/featur ... d_ballots/

This gave me more reason why our leaders should be chosen by a junta.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby chidiver » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Cajun wrote:Major appointments, some as early as this week:

White House Chief of Staff: Rahm Emmanuel
Treasury Secretary: Paul Volcker
Secretary of Defense: Robert Gates
Secretary of State: Colin Powell
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs: Wesley Clark
UN Ambassador: Bill Clinton

I'm far more conservative that the rest of you. As much as I thought that Lane's speculation on cabinet were great choices, I have to say I'm pretty comfortable with most of the choices that Obama has made so far.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:23 pm

Anybody who's expecting a rush of rainbow-colored unicorns in January is going to be sorely disappointed. Obama will be governing from the center, much as Clinton, despite being classified as liberal, did.

And yeah, I like pretty much everything that's been happening so far.
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 pm

So far, Obama's cabinet looks like a good set of people and quite diverse...two women, one black, one Hispanic and one Asian and even a Republican.

Obama's Cabinet nominees thus far:

Attorney General: Eric Holder

Commerce: Bill Richardson

Defense: Robert Gates (Republican)

Health and Human Services: Tom Daschle

Homeland Security: Janet Napolitano

Secretary of State: Hillary Clinton

Treasury: Timothy Geithner

Veterans Affairs: General Eric Shinseki

Still to be filled:

Agriculture, Education, Energy, Housing and Urban Development, Interior, Labor, and Transportation
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:15 am

I want to see Al Gore as head of the EPA just so's I'll get to watch the FOX News idiots go ballistic.

That's considered Good Times at our house. . .
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:56 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:I want to see Al Gore as head of the EPA just so's I'll get to watch the FOX News idiots go ballistic.

That's considered Good Times at our house. . .

He won't do it. Obama offered Gore a position as White House Climate Change czar and he turned it down. This would be a new office for the White House.

From the National Journal's Lost in Transition blog.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:51 AM

Browner To Be Tapped As Energy Czar

National Journal has confirmed that President-elect Obama is set to name Carol Browner for a newly formed position overseeing White House policy on climate, energy and the environment.

Browner became the longest-serving administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency under President Clinton. She currently sits on the board of former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright's global consulting firm.

Others who had been rumored for the position include former Vice President Al Gore, who reiterated during his meeting with Obama on Tuesday that he was not interested, and Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius.

Carlos

olywaguy

Postby jkav » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 pm

How come everything needs a "czar?"
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby DerWanderer » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:34 am

It's the new in-vogue way for politicians to admit they actually aren't qualified to make decisions. Therefore, they appoint political croonies who supposedly are. Thus they have a fall guy, can save face in the event of disaster, and look capable of making intelligent, yet humble decisions in the eyes of their constituents.
DerWanderer

Postby jkav » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:06 pm

How many Supreme Court nominations will Barack Obama and the Democratic Senate get to make? Definitely one, possibly two.

John Paul Stevens is 88, a liberal justice, and has been white-knuckling it for the past 12 years waiting to retire. It's my guess that he'll retire in short order following the inauguration.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 75, and also a liberal justice. She may wait to see if Obama gets reelected, then retire.

Unfortunately for Obama and the Democrats, these two vacancies won't change the ideological balance of the Court any. I doubt Scalia, Thomas, or Kennedy will planning retirement any time soon, and Roberts and Alito are so new that we'll be onto a new President altogether before they contemplate leaving the Court.

Breyer and Souter are relatively recent appointments, and more left-oriented anyway.
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:52 am

DerWanderer wrote:It's the new in-vogue way for politicians to admit they actually aren't qualified to make decisions. Therefore, they appoint political croonies who supposedly are. Thus they have a fall guy, can save face in the event of disaster, and look capable of making intelligent, yet humble decisions in the eyes of their constituents.

Hardly new. They had an energy czar back in the 1970s.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Davy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 am

jkav wrote:
Unfortunately for Obama and the Democrats, these two vacancies won't change the ideological balance of the Court any. I doubt Scalia, Thomas, or Kennedy will planning retirement any time soon, and Roberts and Alito are so new that we'll be onto a new President altogether before they contemplate leaving the Court.

Breyer and Souter are relatively recent appointments, and more left-oriented anyway.

The bad news is that the ideological balance isn't going to change under Obama. The good news, however, is that the ideological balance isn't going to change under Obama.

The retirement of Stevens and Ginsberg will ensure young liberal justices that will serve for decades, even if Sarah Palin becomes Obama's successor. Currently, Anthony Kennedy is the swing vote and given his strongly-worded pro gay opinion in Romer vs. Evans, we do have a good chance that if gay marriage were taken up tomorrow, the Court would hand down a 5-4 ruling in our favor. Of course, if Antonin Scalia is hit by a train during Obama's administration, that "good chance" becomes a guarantee.
Davy

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:00 am

Franken was certified. Coleman is suing.

Blago appointed Burris, but the certificate of appointment was missing the Ill Sec of State signature, so Burris is being denied by the Senate.

Still no pick for NY Senator.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby olywaguy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 am

You also forgot to mention that Richardson is withdrawing as Commerce Secretary.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:00 pm

olywaguy wrote:You also forgot to mention that Richardson is withdrawing as Commerce Secretary.

Maybe we should rename the title Secretary Of Cheap Imported Chinese Crap. That's more fitting.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 pm

It's a Bouncing Baby Senator!!

Bramasole_iowa

Postby furface » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Minnesota Supremes have declared Franken the winner in the recount and lawsuits; ruling that he deserves the certificate of election from the governor. The governor says he'll sign it and Coleman has conceded the election, finally.

However; given the tomfoolery gone on over this seat I won't be sure it's over till Franken is actually sworn in as the junior senator from Minnesota. And that won't happen till next week at the earliest.

Eight flippin' months and $11 million on the challenges and recounts alone!!! Think they got their money's worth? :twisted: :roll:
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby foxeyes2 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:19 am

^ It's about frigging time.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Congratulations Al Franken

Postby Learning » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:05 am

He's good enough. He's smart enough. And doggone it, now he's a senator.
Learning

Postby madsglen » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Palin's sudden decision to resign as Governor of Alaska.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-07-03-palin-resignation_N.htm?csp=34

Hmmm. Fallout from the election? People in Alaska getting tired of not having a full-time Governor (even thought it's more of a part-time thing there)? I don't buy the arguement that she's not happy being a Lame Duck. More likely it's that she's getting tired of flying back and forth to the 'lower 48' while going to 'candidate finishing school'.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby chidiver » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:34 pm

I can't quite understand America's obsession with this woman. For cripes sake, the election has been over for over six months.
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Re: Election 2010

Postby olywaguy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:11 am

I've changed the title of this thread from Election 2008 to Election 2010 (I originated the thread) so we don't have to create another thread.

Today is the big day for the state of Massachusetts. They will decide if healthcare reform will happen for us or not. Republican Scott Brown is ahead of Democrat Martha Coakley.

For those of you in Massachusetts, what is your sense of how this election is going and why the shift to a Republican candidate?

CNN showed this pic of him on national TV. Do you think this is helping him in his race? Certainly would help with the ladies and the gay community.

Scott Brown during his college days posing for Cosmopolitan.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:26 am

Well, this has certainly change the U.S. Senate and the state of Massachusetts has sent a message to the whole country.

How did Massachusetts make such a flip?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby backpacker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:11 pm

I don't know but it looks like nothing further including healthcare will be happening with this presidency either now that the republicans can block everything. :roll:
backpacker

Postby DeckApe » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm hoping the Dems will take this as a warning that it isn't all for granted...
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby samaste.march » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:40 pm

The 2010 Alabama election results have been declared. And the Democratic candidate Ron Sparks beat Artur Davis to become governor of Alabama. It was nice experience.
samaste.march

PreviousNext

Return to Politics