Election 2010

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Postby dracuscalico » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Thank You. I hope they are never all at the same place at the same time. For example it has always been said by Coca Cola tha only 2 people know it's formula and they never travel on the same plane.
I do think OBAMA needs to get a Pope mobile, but more like BubbleBoy suit and never be out of it when he is outdoors.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:06 pm

They have what's called a "designated survivor," which is basically one person in that list who is deliberately kept away from events when the rest are gathered together (a good example is the State of the Union Address), in case of a catastrophe that would take the rest of them all out at once.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Decoy's wouldn't work because once people know about them,, they would never believe the REAL President is the one in control and making decisions, and they'd be preoccupied trying to figure out if each time the President appears, if he seems REAL or not....
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 am

jkav wrote:
dracuscalico wrote:Can you tell us the order of ascension to power behind the President and Vice President? Based upon this country's past, there ARE some concerns....

01. Vice President and President of the Senate
02. Speaker of the House of Representatives
03. President pro tempore of the Senate
04. Secretary of State
05. Secretary of the Treasury
06. Secretary of Defense
07. Attorney General
08. Secretary of the Interior
09. Secretary of Agriculture
10. Secretary of Commerce
11. Secretary of Labor
12. Secretary of Health and Human Services
13. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
14. Secretary of Transportation
15. Secretary of Engergy
16. Secretary of Education
17. Secretary of Veterans' Affairs
18. Secretary of Homeland Security

Of course, if any of these people are not natural-born citizens, not yet 35 years old, or have not been resident in the United States for at least 14 years, they are constitutionally ineligible and are skipped. Also, acting Secretaries (those who have not yet been confirmed by the Senate) are skipped over.

Thanks Jkav. If you are wondering how they came up with the order of the cabinet members, it is based on the date the Federal department was established. Of the current list, only three (State, Treasury, and Attorney General) are original Federal departments that began in 1789. Attorney General didn't become the head of a Federal Department until the establishment of the Dept. of Justice in the mid 1800s.

I believe Bush was trying to get a law passed whereby the Secretary of Homeland Security would be moved up the ladder of succession instead of being last.

Poor DHS, having to succeed to the presidency only after the secretaries of Education and Veterans Affairs have expired...a very long wait indeed.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby jkav » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 pm

^ I think Jon Stewart said, "As many an ambitious Speaker has realized, it's a pretty slow-moving line."
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Davy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:32 pm

the "line" actually doesn't move at all. If the President dies, the VP becomes president. In order for the House Speaker to become president, both Prez and VP would have to die at the same time. For President Pro Tem to be come president, the Prez, VP, and House Speaker would all three have to die at the same time...and so on.

If the VP resigns, dies, or what not, the House Speaker does not move up the ladder to fill his/her shoes. A new Veep is chosen by the President.

So the likelihood of 17 cabinet members expiring at the same time so that the DHS secretary can become president is somewhat like the odds of winning the lottery 10 times.
Davy

Postby dracuscalico » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:28 pm

Davy wrote:the "line" actually doesn't move at all. If the President dies, the VP becomes president. In order for the House Speaker to become president, both Prez and VP would have to die at the same time. For President Pro Tem to be come president, the Prez, VP, and House Speaker would all three have to die at the same time...and so on.

If the VP resigns, dies, or what not, the House Speaker does not move up the ladder to fill his/her shoes. A new Veep is chosen by the President.

So the likelihood of 17 cabinet members expiring at the same time so that the DHS secretary can become president is somewhat like the odds of winning the lottery 10 times.

Yeah, tell that one to the folks in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin...the "winningest" lottery location in the country for awhile. :wink:
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7726453.stm

Obama's "secret" code name will be Renegade, according to this article. Michelle Obama will be Renaissance, and their daughters will be Rosebud and Radiance. Other notable names:

George W. Bush = Trailblazer
Laura Bush = Tempo
Al Gore = Sawhorse / Sundance
Joe Biden = Celtic
John McCain = Phoenix
Cindy McCain = Parasol
Sarah Palin = Denali
Todd Palin = Driller
Gerald Ford = Passkey
Ronald Reagan = Rawhide
Jimmy Carter = Deacon
Dick Cheney = Angler

Apparently, Al Gore used to joke that his code name was "Al Gore," because he's so boring. Also, according to a new law passed by Congress in the 1990s, Bill Clinton's family will be the last First Family to have Secret Service protection for life. Starting with the Bushes, each First Family will have Secret Service protection for only 10 years after they leave the White House.

If you had a Secret Service codename, what would you choose?
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:18 pm

One can only wonder what Dan Quayle's code name was - I'm guessing Potatoe 8)
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby chidiver » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:31 pm

jkav wrote:If you had a Secret Service codename, what would you choose?

"Thumper"
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:47 pm

"Sarah Palin"
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:48 pm

They are going to change their mind about that 10 year thing. It's a tradition that should not be broken. In today's world they need protection more than ever. No one is going to leave them helpless. they will always have someone watching out for them, no matter what they tell the public.

My Code Name: Tarantula
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Nixon dropped his Secret Service in '85 after he realized nobody cared about him anymore.
10years is plenty of time for us to forget about the atrocities of Bushy.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby dracuscalico » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:51 am

Bramasole_iowa wrote:Nixon dropped his Secret Service in '85 after he realized nobody cared about him anymore.
10years is plenty of time for us to forget about the atrocities of Bushy.

As long as things get better, yes....so what is YOUR code name ?
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:55 am

P-s-s-s-s-t, drac . . . i bet it's "bushy."

:twisted:
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:57 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7729833.stm

According to this article, "US President-elect Barack Obama has met former rival Hillary Clinton to discuss offering her a top job in his administration, US media reports say." Secretary of State? I was hoping Bill Richardson would get that position.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:06 am

Five people have to be killed off for the Secretary of State to become President...I hope they are never all at the same location at the same time and that they don't travel together.

I think it is a mistake to have the Clintons under him. They are going to undermine him and or kill him.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:34 pm

And what this about with Dr. Alan Keyes filing suit against Obama? Why Keyes and why now?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:07 pm

He's disputing whether Obama is an American and can therefore be President.

http://www.ballot-access.org/2008/11/16 ... igibility/

Keyes is a well-known nutjob. This has no validity and won't go anywhere.
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:37 pm

nimby wrote:And what this about with Dr. Alan Keyes filing suit against Obama? Why Keyes and why now?

Yes Keys is a nut. Back when Obama ran for the senate, the ex husband of actress Jerri Ryan was running against him. Rather close to the election they somehow got a judge to unseal Ryan's divorce records and made them public. It seems that Jack Ryan kept "accidentally" taking Jerri to sex clubs every time they went on vacation where he would try to coax her into public sex acts. Oops! Well Jack dropped out and the Illinois Republican party tried to convince former Bears Coach Mike Ditka to run against Obama. When he declined, they brought Keyes to town for like the last month of campaigning to run against Obama. I don't remember much about the election other than he got his ass kicked and shortly after disavowed his daughter who came out as a lesbian.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:59 pm

nimby wrote:And what this about with Dr. Alan Keyes filing suit against Obama? Why Keyes and why now?

Guys, guys! Dr. Keyes is working as an agent of freedom and liberty. His intent is to expose Sen. Obama as an active member of the Trilateral Commission, Skull and Bones, the Bilderberg Group, Boy Scouts o America, the Illuminati, Knights Templar, and the John Birch Society.

Or it could just be sour grapes from a wingnut.
Last edited by furface on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby edu999 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Taking Keyes seriously is like taking Ann Coulter seriously.
edu999

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Tran Coulter dated Bill Maher for awhile. Would have loved to have sat in on those candlelight dinners. :shock:
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:Tran Coulter dated Bill Maher for awhile. Would have loved to have sat in on those candlelight dinners. :shock:

Oh God, I can only imagine the two of them belittling the waitstaff in some crazy rant.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:22 pm

The results of the Coleman Franken Senate race in Minnesota are still being divined by election judges. It is more than a little scary that some people are so incapable of following directions that they can't color in a circle for the candidate of their choice.

Here is your opportunity to play election judge:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/featur ... d_ballots/
chidiver
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Politics