Election 2010

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Election 2010

Postby olywaguy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:29 pm

While looking at a site about the presidential election 2008, found this website that matches you with your ideal candidate based on the issues courtesy of USA Today. At the end, they give you the top three candidates.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/e ... h-game.htm

My matches ended up being John Edwards, Mike Gravel, and John McCain. My preferred candidate is John Edwards.

He's the Man!!
Last edited by olywaguy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby devilnuts » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:19 pm

I had done a different one of these a few days ago and it gave me Hillary, however, Ron Paul was a close number #2. So I'm not sure where these numbers come from because it has me with Gravel, Guiliani, and Edwards.

While there might be some things I agree with all three on, they are basically waaaaaaaaaaay too far off on other things for me to consider voting for them at this point. So I'm not sure how this matchmaker pulls this stuff up...hahaha.

I'll just stick with Paul for the time being. However, I'm still pulling for Stewart/Colbert!!! hahaha
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Texas_Thang » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:25 pm

It has me with Kucinich, Richardson, and Biden.

I don't care for any of them.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby yes_I_am_so_what » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:46 pm

I came up with Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, and Ron Paul.

Ron Paul -- I do like the media coverage he's been getting. He has not been shy about saying the Republican Party has been moving in the wrong direction. That's a message that needs to be repeated frequently and loudly. And ya gotta respect the fact that he's the only Rep with the stones to speak out against the war in Iraq.

Kucinich -- name's familiar, but does he really stand a chance in this race?

Gravel -- who? Never heard of him before.
There are so many emotions available. Why strive only for happiness?
yes_I_am_so_what

Postby DeckApe » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Dennis Kucinich, Mitt Romney, and Rudy Giuliani.

I'm going back to bed.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby gvtire » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:33 pm

Dennis Kucinich, Mitt Romney, and Bill Richardson. here.

This is scary. a Repubilican voting for Kucinich...don't think so.
FIGHT ON
BEAT THE BRUINS
gvtire

Postby chidiver » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:52 pm

Giuliani, Huckabee, Romney

I personally like Huckabee the most though.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Texas_Thang » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:46 pm

Except Huckabee? Is about as right as they come (and I mean that politically) on social issues such as gay rights. I'm not talking marriage. I'm talking rights.

In many ways, he's not as bad as a lot of them...but as long as they continue to sell themselves to the evangelicals... then I can't do it.

You get Huckabee to deny this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5S38LpMgu0

And I might think about it.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby devilnuts » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Texas_Thang wrote:You get Huckabee to deny this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5S38LpMgu0

Sweet f*cking Christ!!! No pun intended. How people this stupid allowed to roam my planet?

Geez, I really need to get to get off this rock of stupidity... :roll:
devilnuts

Postby chidiver » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:34 pm

Texas_Thang wrote:Except Huckabee? Is about as right as they come (and I mean that politically) on social issues such as gay rights. I'm not talking marriage. I'm talking rights.

In many ways, he's not as bad as a lot of them...but as long as they continue to sell themselves to the evangelicals... then I can't do it.

You get Huckabee to deny this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5S38LpMgu0

I pretty much dislike all of them. Huckabee is the only pushing for repealing all taxes and replacing it with a national sales tax which I am a fan of.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:50 pm

chidiver wrote:I pretty much dislike all of them. Huckabee is the only pushing for repealing all taxes and replacing it with a national sales tax which I am a fan of.

Yes, the Fair Tax is a good program. Get rid of the IRS. Perhaps Paul and Huckabee should get together...hahaha. Get rid of the IRS and go to a Fair Tax system. Start giving control over programs back to the states and let the states collect their sales taxes. The "free market" will balance it all out...okay, that's just fanciful thinking. You know damn well the wealthy blue states would have to bail out the poor southern states within 4 years...hahaha. But I do think more of the power needs to be taken from the federal gov't and put back in the states. Otherwise why have states? We're turning into one big state and soon we should just be called the United State of America...hahaha. "Yeah, I'm from Arizona County." :wink:
devilnuts

Postby Rico » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:39 pm

devilnuts wrote:You know damn well the wealthy blue states would have to bail out the poor southern states within 4 years...hahaha....

That's already happening. In fact, it's old news. Compare what the blue states send to DC to what they get back. Then compare what the red states send to the same place to what they get back. There's no comparison. The red states have been feeding at the federal trough for too long. They regularly send right-winged sh*theads to government to bash the hell out of the federal system, thump their Bibles, scream about gay marriage, then stand there with their hands out at the first hint of a natural disaster screaming "Washington, Help Us!" F them all. Pray for more hurricanes. :twisted:
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby foxeyes2 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:24 am

Rico wrote:
devilnuts wrote:You know damn well the wealthy blue states would have to bail out the poor southern states within 4 years...hahaha....

That's already happening. In fact, it's old news. Compare what the blue states send to DC to what they get back. Then compare what the red states send to the same place to what they get back. There's no comparison. The red states have been feeding at the federal trough for too long. They regularly send right-winged sh*theads to government to bash the hell out of the federal system, thump their Bibles, scream about gay marriage, then stand there with their hands out at the first hint of a natural disaster screaming "Washington, Help Us!" F them all. Pray for more hurricanes. :twisted:

I respect your right to have a strong opinion on political matters but in my opinion I think you cross the line when you say that we should pray for more hurricanes. To me that is beyond the pale. Due to Katrina almost 2000 people died. Think about that for a minute. Someone's mother, father, son, daughter, grandmother, sister, brother, aunt, unncle, grandfather, friend passed away. think about all the people who were left heartbroken and devastated. And you want more of that to happen?
Besides the loss of life thousands others were forced to flee as their homes were destroyed. People lost everything they owned and you want us to pray that it happens again to more of your fellow Americans.
Do you think that they people who died deserved it? Do you think the only ones who perished were Bible thumpers? Do you think that some of them might have gay folks or liberal or perhaps indifferent because they were struggling just to make ends meet? But hey let's all beg God to wipe some more of them out because that is what they should get for the actions of their elected officials. to me it sounds like something from the Jerry Falwell School of Reasoning.
but I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and not believe that you actually meant it and you will come back and clarify your statement. After all surely you can't be that heartless can you?
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby devilnuts » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:35 pm

Okay, my comment about the money was not meant in natural disaster situations. That is precisely the kind of thing that the federal government should be stepping in to help with. And lots of blue states get federal money for disasters. Look at Oregon and Washington. They are going to be receiving millions of dollars to deal with the flooding issues. I'm talking about the money received for social programs. And in case you don't know, I live in a red state that is upside down on the amount of funds it puts in to the amount it receives. I just think it is wrong for a state that can't get its act together on budgetary and social programs to suck it out of the federal gov't.

The hurricane comment is over the line, we even have a few members that were affected by that and I think that an apology is in order to them.
devilnuts

Postby Rico » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:01 pm

foxeyes2 wrote:...but I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and not believe that you actually meant it and you will come back and clarify your statement. After all surely you can't be that heartless can you?

Thanks at least for the benefit of the doubt. It won't be the first stupid thing I posted and later regretted and it certainly won't be the last. I’m smart and human enough to recognize that. You might have spared the personal harangue and asked a simple question, rather than draw more attention to an obviously asinine, end-of-post remark. But then that wouldn’t be fun, would it?

That aside, of course I didn't mean it either literally or figuratively and that I even have to say that here dismays me. It's not as if I've been a drive-by poster. Regardless, I sincerely apologize to you or anybody I unintentionally offended. It was stupid.

A larger regret is that those four words took attention away from the main point of my post: there for a long time has existed a great disparity between what the red states send to Washington and what they get back in return. Simply add that injustice to the tremendous political and religious influence red states for years have had on the national political and economic scene, and you will see why some blue state folks get agitated so easily.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:32 pm

Yes, Rico, we have all made comments that we wish that we could retract. It is cool of you to say "Hey I f'ed up". No days it seems like it is difficult for people to admit that; God knows how I screw up on almost a daily basis The regular posters know that you are a good guy and didn't intend any malice in your comments.

Now I am going to take issue with your Red State statement. If you look at red states a much higher percentage of Fortune 500 companies, investment banks and such are located in these places. So I tend to not agree with your (perceived) assessment that rank and file citizens form one state is sending their hard earned tax dollar to another.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby blackmet » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:15 pm

devilnuts wrote:Okay, my comment about the money was not meant in natural disaster situations. That is precisely the kind of thing that the federal government should be stepping in to help with. And lots of blue states get federal money for disasters. Look at Oregon and Washington. They are going to be receiving millions of dollars to deal with the flooding issues. I'm talking about the money received for social programs. And in case you don't know, I live in a red state that is upside down on the amount of funds it puts in to the amount it receives. I just think it is wrong for a state that can't get its act together on budgetary and social programs to suck it out of the federal gov't.

The hurricane comment is over the line, we even have a few members that were affected by that and I think that an apology is in order to them.

Colorado is a purple state, and we send out more than we get back...but at the same time, we have no idea how to budget, and actually aren't really allowed to budget correctly due to the way the constitution is set up at this point. You have the TABOR amendment, which limits how much you can pull in each year and how much you can raise taxes, combined with weird amendments that require us to increase funding in K-12 schools. Currently the TABOR is having a 5 year break by voter demand, mostly because everyone was sick of 3 hour long lines at the DMV and watching college tuition increase by 10% a year. Except the 3 hour long lines are still at the DMV and we just raised college tuition again.

And the flat national sales tax sounds awesome...until you realize that with a flat national sales tax you can't deduct mortgage or student loan interest, and poor and middle class people (who, you know, spend pretty much everything they make) get stuck paying more. I don't like the IRS, but I don't think this is much of a solution.
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby chidiver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:55 pm

OK, Blackmet I know that you rent and I own; why should I get an extra spiff on my taxes that you don't? Much less if I had spread my gay seed around town and breed, yet another tax break!

I happen to have many friends in the creative community who design websites. photograph weddings and such and they claim very little of their actual income. Why should you as a corporate worker support them?

A consumption tax also taxes illegal income, illegal alien income as well. It just seems fair and simple to me.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:34 pm

chidiver wrote:A consumption tax also taxes illegal income, illegal alien income as well. It just seems fair and simple to me.

This is one of the biggest reasons that this tax system should be enacted. But like you said, there are too many loopholes. I'm sorry, but why in the hell should interest on mortgages and student loans be refunded? I am paying for school now on my credit cards. I don't get that money refunded. Why should wealthy people be allowed to "offset" a large portion of what they owe in taxes by donating? Why should money shifted around outside the country be off limits? The current rules allow waaaaaaaaaay too many loopholes for certain people. Bullshit! With the Fair Tax, you don't have to pay taxes if you don't want to...but that just means you won't be buying anything. The amount of tax you pay doesn't depend on how much your make or how good your accountant is at hiding it. Taxes only come into play when you spend it.

Oh, and Arizona is pretty purple as well...hahaha...or at least striped. I think the people are finally starting to realize that the Goldwater Republicans are democrats...hahaha.

And tuition is going up 9.8% this year. The last couple of years were 5%. And a few years back they did a couple more large jumps. All because the state is cutting more and more funding for the schools. Again, the "free market" would fix this. If they raise tuition too high, people will send their kids elsewhere and the university won't have enough money to operate. If they keep doing this, it will have a large impact on my decision about whether or not to do grad school here.
devilnuts

Postby Rico » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:22 pm

chidiver wrote:Now I am going to take issue with your Red State statement. If you look at red states a much higher percentage of Fortune 500 companies, investment banks and such are located in these places. So I tend to not agree with your (perceived) assessment that rank and file citizens form one state is sending their hard earned tax dollar to another.

That's true up to a point but may not come near enough to explaining it. The disparity is much greater than most realize. Check this out:
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/09/red_states_feed.html
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Rico wrote:
chidiver wrote:Now I am going to take issue with your Red State statement. If you look at red states a much higher percentage of Fortune 500 companies, investment banks and such are located in these places. So I tend to not agree with your (perceived) assessment that rank and file citizens form one state is sending their hard earned tax dollar to another.

That's true up to a point but may not come near enough to explaining it. The disparity is much greater than most realize. Check this out:
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/09/red_states_feed.html

Well I still contend that a great deal of the tax revenue of the red states is ffrom corporate headquarters located in those states. In addition, much of the bule subsidizes are agricultural, which I could let die.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby fsu_cj » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:53 am

Mitt Romney
Mike Huckabee
And
Rudy Giuliani

Not in my personal top 3 but strong candidates.
fsu_cj

Postby Rico » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:25 am

devilnuts wrote:Okay, my comment about the money was not meant in natural disaster situations. That is precisely the kind of thing that the federal government should be stepping in to help with.

You're absolutely right up to a point, but how far are you willing to go? Don't you think there eventually will come a time when both individuals and communities must take more responsibility and mitigate the impact of natural disasters whenever possible? Individuals have to accept the risks associated with building and living in a flood plain. Communities have to agree to adopt and administer local flood plain management aimed at protecting lives and new construction from future flooding.

It seems that it would be irrational to forget the human hand involved in these natural disasters. Many of these disasters (including Katrina) may not be so natural after all.
http://whyfiles.org/227warm_hurricane/

Thousands of barrier islands have been destroyed by human settlements (i.e. luxury highrises) up and down the southeastern coast. Massive networks of river dams throughout the entire continental U.S. prevent the natural flow and buildup of sediments, which would prevent flooding. Western wildfires and mudslides also have a man-made component to them. How long can we get away with blaming God, nature, or whatever for our own environmental F ups?

As far as owing an apology about the "prayer" remark...you're right. Done. See elsewhere in the thread. I regret it. I've never been good at hyperbole, but hopefully this environmental aspect may give some context to my attempt and to my state of mind at the time. Lesson learned. :oops:
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:15 am

Rico wrote:Thousands of barrier islands have been destroyed by human settlements (i.e. luxury highrises) up and down the southeastern coast. Massive networks of river dams throughout the entire continental U.S. prevent the natural flow and buildup of sediments, which would prevent flooding. Western wildfires and mudslides also have a man-made component to them. How long can we get away with blaming God, nature, or whatever for our own environmental F ups?

You have a pretty good point there. I was just thinking that it is probably just a matter of time before a storm surge takes out quite a bit of Dade county.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:36 pm

chidiver wrote:You have a pretty good point there. I was just thinking that it is probably just a matter of time before a storm surge takes out quite a bit of Dade county.

Sadly it will take people with it too. Florida now has more than 13 million people living along its coastline. I've read the reports, evacuation plans, and the estimates. If the 1926 Great Miami Hurricane - nearly as intense as Andrew, but double or triple its size - were to hit today's south Florida, there would likely be on the order of $70-80 BILLION in damages in just Miami-Dade and Broward counties alone. It's not a pretty picture either way.
Rico
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Politics