Occupy Wall Street Folks....Who Votes?

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Occupy Wall Street Folks....Who Votes?

Postby Rico » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:17 pm

While I personally share many of the concerns of those participating in the Occupy Wall Street protests going on around the U.S. and the world, I think they are unlikely to achieve any of their objectives by protesting. In fact, they will backfire.

Here’s why I think that.

[HYPERBOLE ALERT!] I bet if I rolled a bowling ball down the middle of one of those crowds, I’d probably hit only a handful of people who actually voted in the 2010 election. That’s where the change will come, and that’s what pisses me off.

Instead of protesting, they need to get out of the parks, and get registered to vote. More importantly, they need to make sure people who think like them get registered to vote. And then on the day of elections, they need to get off their asses and out of their comfy quarters and actually go and vote.

In 2010 many of the state legislatures changed hands. Conservatives took control of many state governments, and have been busy writing the rules that will control the national elections in 2012. That’s the way the system works.

What was the turnout in the 2010 elections that gave control to so many local conservatives? Here’s a sample:

VEP percentage = Vote for highest office divided by the voting-eligible population.

Arkansas 37.6
California 44.1
District of Columbia 28.2
Florida 42.2
Georgia 39.1
Indiana 37.3
Louisiana 38.8
New York 34.9
North Carolina 39.3
Texas 32.3
United States (overall) 40.9

It’s pathetic…especially non-voting by younger folks. What do you think?

Link to full stats on 2010 turnout here:
http://elections.gmu.edu/Turnout_2010G.html
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: Occupy Wall Street Folks....Who Votes?

Postby jamaluddin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:33 am

I red the speech from Arundhuti Roy. It was an awesome one.
jamaluddin

Re: Occupy Wall Street Folks....Who Votes?

Postby Cachasa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm

A similar point was made on CBC one day. In Canada these "protests" all came on the heels of a series of fedral and provinicl elections. In almost all cases the Countary and the provinces were electing incumbet governments of all stripes, Fedral Conservative, as well as Provinical Liberal,NDP and various provinical right wing parties. Yes there are problems with voter turn out but if anything it undermines the occupy movement itself. If the "99%" as they presumptuously claimed to be actually voted we would have had change??? Maybe but the people in the camps come primarily from the demographic is the least likely to vote. 99% my ass....

On another note... I think that its safe to say that it was a total waste of time. To me the "protesters" looked more like a bunch of entitled brats throwing a fit then activists. Protesters have clear objectives and goals. They are organized. Like think about the Harvey Milk days that was organized movement that wanted something specific. You did not get that with any of the occupy movements. Also the seer audacity to say, "We are the 99%" WTF?? I am a working class dude I don't make much money. The last thing I need is some university student with 35000$ of debt and who's probably never had to pay for anything in his life. Telling me what I need and that he represents me and all of the other working class people. Who did they think they were?? It was a joke.

I also heard rumors of anti-gay and anti-tans sentiment and attacks in the camps as well. Not to mention in Vancouver one death from an opiate overdoes. Oh and all of the sexual and physical assaults across the camps around the world.
Cachasa

Return to Politics