Guns, politics and cross-hairs

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Guns, politics and cross-hairs

Postby Rico » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Well, I guess you have to give Sarah Palin credit for at least one thing...she accurately identified Gabrielle Giffords as a target and put her in the gun's cross-hairs in one of her fundraising ads. [And for those foreign friends among us, the ad below is no spoof. It was a real campaign in the United States of America sponsored by Sarah's PAC and caused quite a bit of controversy. But the right-wing and Fox News loved it, and nobody ever apologized for it.] I wonder now,after Giffords has been shot, whether they might think twice about juxtaposing cross-hairs and human beings in their political ads?

In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: Guns, politics and cross-hairs

Postby Rico » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Before anyone jumps down my throat about the post, let me say that there is no intention to imply a cause and effect for these killings. That would be ridiculous. If any good comes from these shootings, it might be that some of the loudmouths might voluntarily tone down some of the rhetoric, especially those calling for "Second Amendment remedies."

BTW, here's an ad for a fundraiser sponsored by the Tea-Party candidate who opposed Giffords in the last election. Classy, eh?

In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Prayers and thoughts for the Congresswoman, the judge who was killed, the nine-year old girl that was killed, and all the other victims, whether they passed on or are still with us, fighting for their lives, and for all their families. Sad, senseless tragedy.
Last edited by UnRepublicanstraightactor on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."
UnRepublicanstraightactor

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Postby nimby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Wow. Rico, those ads are scary and rather profetic. Scary coincidence. Those poor people.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:03 pm

nimby wrote:Wow. Rico, those ads are scary and rather profetic. Scary coincidence. Those poor people.

Most folks see those ads for what they are...political hyperbole from political opportunists without much of a moral compass. But for those who are already unbalanced or on the edge, it's sometimes just enough to tip the scale. I feel so sorry for all those people and their families. It's terribly sad.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:55 am

I read one quote from a former classmate who said he was obviously mentally disturbed. There's been a nice lull from these kinds of shootings in recent years. I can't remember any except the guy at Virginia Tech.

Always seems like 5 die and 12 are hurt before the shooter is tackled by somebody. :roll:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 am

Westboro Baptist Church to Picket Funeral of 9-Yr-Old Girl Murdered in Tucson
January 9th, 2011 9:08 pm ET.

Westboro Baptist Church says that God sent the shooter to Tucson, Arizona to kill and maim as many people as possible. And the followers of WBC plans on protesting at the funeral of 9 year-old murder victim Christina-Taylor Green.

Christina was born on September 11, 2001, and was shot Saturday morning waiting to meet her Congresswoman, and passed away a short time later at the University of Arizona Medical Center.

According to her father, John, Christina was recently elected to the student council at Mesa Verde Elementary School in Tucson, and has always been interested in politics.

She had also told her parents that she always wanted to help those less fortunate than herself.

It was all too common to hear her say, "We are so blessed. We have the best life."

Christina also enjoyed singing in the church choir at St. Odilia's Catholic Church, where she also just received her First Holy Communion this past Spring.

She was also the only girl on her Canyon del Oro Little League baseball team, The Pirates, where she played 2d Base.

Baseball was in her blood. Her grandfather, former major-league pitcher Dallas Green, was team manager for the Philadelphia Phillies when they won the World Series in 1980.

Meanwhile, At WBC...

Westboro Baptist Church, best known for picketing at the funerals of servicemen killed in combat and taunting the grieving families, has posted a news release which states in part;

THANK GOD FOR THE SHOOTER -- 6 DEAD!

God appointed this rod for your sins! God sent the shooter! This hateful nation unleashed violent veterans on the servants of God at WBC--hoping to silence our kind warning to obey God and flee the wrath to come.

God sent the shooter to shoot you! And He's sitting in Heaven laughing at you!"

WBC prays for your destruction--more shooters, more dead carcasses piling up, young, old, leader and commoner--all. Your doom is upon you!

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Westboro Baptist Church to Picket Funeral of 9-Yr-Old Girl Murdered in Tucson - Raleigh Conservative | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in ... z1AhYJy5aJ
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:43 am

One thing I can tell you for sure, Michael...this minister and his congregation do not represent the Christian community one bit. They are anything but Christian at all. All these people want are publicity and attention. One day these people will receive their comeuppance.

The Christian community is in just as much of a shock as anyone else and their prayers are with the victims of this shooting.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Aggreed!!! These people make me kick to my stomach. How can their freedom of speech rite be used to harass innocent people? Why isn't anyone putting a stop to them? Recently they tried to come to Canada to picket a very high profile murder victim's funeral. They were denied entry to Canada because their safety would not be guaranteed. There was a massive rally planned against them which guaranteed violence to their bodies, and WBC wanted guarantees from the government for their safety. It was denied and WBC backed down. They would have been slaughtered,

They are not Christian at all. They are publicity whores who must be stopped. Disgusting degenerates!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Ashpenaz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm a gun owner, and these kind of incidents always cause me to reflect on gun control. In some ways, I can see why simply making guns illegal would be worth it if it meant no more children would die or teenagers commit suicide. But all of the gun owners I know are responsible people who care about gun safety. It seems unfair to restrict safety-conscious people because some people abuse the right. My problem is that I don't know why this wacko had access to a gun. Responsible gun owners don't think that crazy drug abusers should have access to guns. I would place the blame for this incident on the state of Arizona--any state that has such weak gun laws is responsible for those who die within its borders due to gun crimes.
Ashpenaz

Postby nimby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm

WBC protest of little girl's funeral cancelled !! Yay Toronto!!!
102.1 in Toronto is a very cool, urban, smart and super gay friendly radio station in my city. If there is any safe place on the planet for this bi*ch to spew her garbage, The Edge is it.

Toronto Radio Host Makes Deal with Westboro Baptist Church
By Arthur Weinreb
Published Jan 12, 2011
0 comments
0diggsdigg Share Article Print Article Dean Blundell gave the WBC air time to "spew your bologna" in exchange for the church agreeing not to picket funeral of 9-year-old Tucson shooting victim.

On Jan. 11, 2011, Shirley Phelps-Roper appeared on the Dean Blundell Show that is airs weekdays between 5:30am and 10am on 102.1, the Edge, in Toronto.

Phelps-Roper is a member of the Westboro Baptist Church and the daughter of Pastor Fred Phelps and the group is known for picketing the funerals of US soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan. These deaths, claim the church, are God’s wrath for the tolerance of homosexuality and abortion. The church rejoices in these deaths and thinks the slain heroes deserved what they got.

On Jan. 10, 2011, after the shooting in Tucson Arizona, the church issued a press release saying that they intended to picket the funeral of Christina-Taylor Green, 9. She had just been elected to her school’s student council and was excited that she was going to meet a real politician, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, that morning. Christina-Taylor’s funeral is scheduled for Jan. 13, 2011 in Tuscon.

Ads by Google
Remove Your Record NOW
Don't let past limit future Call us today 1-8-NOW-PARDON
www.PardonServicesCanada.comEmployee Background Checks
Search multiple engines for employee background checks
www.webcrawler.comQuébec Resorts Promotions
Québec Resorts & Country Inns. Check Out Our Promotions Now !
QuebecMusts.com/Quebec_Country_Inns

Blundell’s Interview with Phelps-Roper
When Phelps-Roper first came on the line, Blundell reminded her of a deal the two made a few years ago. Blundell agreed to let her speak uninterrupted or, in his words, to “spew her garbage” or “spew her bologna.” In exchange she promised the church would cancel the planned picketing of a funeral. The agreement was lived up to.

Phelps-Roper told Blundell if he allowed her to “connect the dots” regarding the Arizona shooting, the church would not picket the “Catholic whorehouse” on Thursday during the funeral of Christina-Taylor Green. At the time, Phelps-Roper made it clear that the church still planned to picket the funerals of the others who were gunned down at the Giffords event.

With only the occasional grunt, Phelps-Roper did speak without interruption from the host. According to her, God sent the shooter to shoot Giffords because she was committing adultery (her husband astronaut Mark Kelly was previously married and divorced), she was pro-abortion, and she voted in Congress against the church. Giffords’ aide deserved to die because he worked with the congresswoman. And God killed Judge Roll because other federal court judges had ruled against the Westboro Baptist Church in the past. Phelps-Roper seemed to take delight in the fact that prior to going to the Safeway store, Roll had been in a “Catholic whorehouse.”

Phelps-Roper was clearly excited and happy about the mass shooting in Tucson. She called it an “amazing simple event” that connected all the dots. At another time in the interview she told Blundell she was “thankful” in the wake of the mass killings.

Images
Because she was so happy that God had sent the shooter, Blundell asked her what she thought of the alleged shooter, Jared Loughner. The talk show host was somewhat taken aback when Phelps-Roper said Loughner was “bat sh*t crazy” and is going to hell because the bible says “Thou shalt not kill”. Loughner obviously gets no credit for carrying out acts that the church thinks are so wonderful.

Phelps-Roper Later Announced All Tucson Picketing Cancelled
After the deal was called off and the picketing of Christina-Taylor’s funeral had been called off by the church, Phelps-Roper told the Arizona Republic that none of the funerals of the six dead would be picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church. She had made more deals with other radio hosts.

Phelps-Roper will be appearing on the Steve Sanchez show on KXXT in Phoenix. Mike Gallagher, a national radio talk show host also agreed to allow her on his program as long as the picketing of funerals was called off.

Podcast, the Dean Blundell Show, retrieved Jan. 12, 2011

Read more at Suite101: Toronto Radio Host Makes Deal with Westboro Baptist Church http://www.suite101.com/content/toronto ... z1ArUFFzhl
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Davy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Davy

Postby Rico » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:03 am

It looks like it's going to get even better with Perry inching toward the beginning of the race and Bachman already there. Poor old Sarah has competition now.

Rico
Veteran Member

Return to Politics