November Elections

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

November Elections

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 pm

I'd start a poll ~ but I'm computer challenged & haven't got a clue on how to do that...will take the stubby pencil approach.....

With the November U.S. elections for Senate, House, Govenor & local issues around the corner, just wondering which ticket in GENERAL you'll be voting; Republican, Democrat, Independent...

Me; Republican
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: November Elections

Postby olywaguy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:33 am

Generally...Democratic....especially since there is a close race for the U.S. Senate here in Washington State.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Me: No one; not at all.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."
UnRepublicanstraightactor

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Postby backpacker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Democrats will always have my support.
backpacker

Postby Rico » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:54 pm

The Democratic Party. The Republicans are too full of contradictions. Supposedly a party that wants government "off of our backs", it seems to have no problem whatsoever with governmental instrusion into some of the most important aspects of our private lives.

Perhaps an even more glaring contradiction from a party that supposedly reveres the Constitution is the fact that Republican lawmakers have proposed at least 42 constitutional amendments just in the current Congress!.

The Democrats are no picnic either, but for me, as a gay-bi-whatever man, the answer to your question is not even a close call.

Note: Post edited to add "as a gay-bi-whatever man"
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 am

The race for the U.S. Senate in Washington State is going to be very close...very likely there will be a recount. The polls for the Murray - Rossi race keeps going up and down...it's the kind of thing the pundits are not used to.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:03 am

olywaguy wrote:The race for the U.S. Senate in Washington State is going to be very close...very likely there will be a recount. The polls for the Murray - Rossi race keeps going up and down...it's the kind of thing the pundits are not used to.

Yeah, glad you're supporting Murray in that race. Good luck to you guys out there. Hope she is able to pull it out. This is sort of a very similar situation to 2000... the WA Senate race I mean, not the presidential election.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Postby DeckApe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 am

I am generally a left-winger myself, but a fiscal conservative: I have no issues with government providing that which cannot--or should not (i.e., healthcare)--be done profitably. I just want to know how it's going to be paid for before we start.

The polls about the Murray-Rossi race are about as rigid as overcooked pasta, but they fail to take into account one angle: younger, more liberal voters frequently don't have land-based telephone lines. Oops.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby davidk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:51 am

The main choices where I live are Christine " I am not a witch" O'Donnell and her somewhat dull opponent Chris Coons. I consider myself leftleaning and don't want a wack job like O'Donnell in the US Senate.
davidk

Postby madsglen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm so looking forward to this election cycle being over, regardless of the outcome. Over 80 "robo-calls" in the last couple of weeks and countless ads have got me down. First it was maddening, now it's just depressing to think about the money that "anonymous" sources are willing to pour into ads which generally are out of context and contain maybe 20% truth in their statements regarless of who they are against or targeting. A note on one of the Sunday morning shows to day indicated upwards fo $3 billion (maybe more) has been spent, mainly by the newly sanctioned groups in the U.S. which don't have to report who or what organizaion/business put up the funds. (Whatever happened to "put your money where your mouth is"...) Can't make me believe that some candidates don't know who's giving support to their campaigns and won't be beholden to them in some way in the future should they win, on either side of the aisle.

Also annoys me to no end to see some Republican candidates (many who used to have the mantra "deficits don't matter" just a couple of short years ago) who won't articulate one single place that they'd go to reduce spending or pay off debt. Or acknowledge that it was mostly under their watch when expensive (and "off the books") spending was done or don't acknowledge that, as we've seen, we can't depend on an economy to grow forever and ever to catch up on that spending. And Democrats, not always themselves paragons of fiscal restraint, haven't been good at it either especially when it comes to telling people "no". And the ultraliberals (who now seem to want to say "progressive") drive me nuts. Where are the moderate pragmatists on both sides and why can't they seem to understand there are more of us out there that are just getting turned off? Who knows...

The process of democracy is understandably (and sometimes by necessity) pretty messy and sometimes unpleasant. As we've all seen this year, I guess. What really gets me is that nobody seems to feel like it's their job to think, to step back and seriously consider things, and yes, ultimately to sacrifice sometimes. Got yourself in a pickle by spending more than you made or could afford? Sorry. Gambled or took too many chances chasing something maybe unrealistic. Welcome to the real world. Mad because you don't want or expect change, or don't want to accept that there are some things that will take time and effort and sacrifice to fix even if that fix may not be quite perfect? Grow up. Lost your job and maybe had your eyes opened a bit (been there myself, believe me)? Nobody said (really, they didn't) you weren't responsible for taking care of yourself and planning for both good and maybe bad things to happen. And if you used your home "equity" as an ATM? You'll get no sympathy from me.

So this probably tells you nodthing about how I tend to vote. Independent. Always. No true party affiliation for me. And yes, in my own self-interest sometimes, like a lot of people. If I think an incumbent has done a pretty good job (no perfection expected) and can articulate well what or why they've voted one way or another I may , just may, fill in that little oval on the ballot (we vote by mail here now). Or if the opponent can articulate the same and doesn't dodge questions I'll listen, consider and may go that way (although, believe me, if Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck or Rachel Maddow or any of the talking heads are whole-heartedly for you then you've got a long way to go to convince me!) But if all you have to say is that we've gone the "wrong direction" with no substance other than being a contratrian, forget it. Hollow words. And if you think just by telling me you're not a witch or that you'd be a good representative because your "not the other guy" or that everything the other candidate ever did, said or even thought is wrong, stop talking to me.

Sorry for the long post, guys. Thus ends my rant for the day...
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:17 am

olywaguy wrote:Generally...Democratic....especially since there is a close race for the U.S. Senate here in Washington State.

Looks like your vote was one of a handful of hundred thousands that helped Murray hold that seat for the Dems. I'd be embarassed for Rossi if he pushes for a recount again... but that would be nostalgic since it's what brought me to this forum as a pseudo-semi-regular so it'd be funny if we came full circle with Rossi = lossi once again. :mrgreen:

Postby olywaguy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 am

The latest numbers on the Murray - Rossi race at this moment is 50.49% - 49.51%

Murray: 722,396

Rossi: 708,391

This is tabulation from midnight last night.

No doubt there will be a recount.

I had the opportunity yesterday morning to serve as a political observer. I went to see how the tabulation was done. The whole process is pretty amazing. I encourage everyone to pop in at their county elections office to see the whole process.

Remember that in Washington State, if you mail your ballot and it is postmarked on election day, it is still valid and will be counted (Washington is an mail balloting...except for Pierce County which still has polls).
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:38 am

Gee rough night for the democraps. I guess the one bright spot is now you have a man named Boner third in line for the presidency. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm

One of the few consolations from the election of so many conservatives and flat-Earthers is that a majority of the folks who voted for them will most likely be the first ones to suffer from their policies. That will be amusing to watch.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Earl Butz wrote:I guess the one bright spot is now you have a man named Boner third in line for the presidency. :P

And he bears a striking resemblance sometimes to "The Grinch (who stole Christmas)". Waiting for that to show up in some editorial cartoon. Or at least on "The Daily Show".
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 pm

olywaguy wrote:No doubt there will be a recount.

Maybe not so much this time. I was waiting to laugh my ass off at Rossi, but it looks like I won't get another opportunity -- what is this -- his 3rd, practically consecutive, loss? If I was him (and I'm glad I'm not), I'd call it quits and retire from politics forever. Maybe Faux Snooze has a job for him among their line of pathetic former politicians that got their asses handed to them a few cycles ago...

Postby olywaguy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 am

Yes, it is official. Patty Murray was just re-elected to her fourth term in the U.S. Senate. She was leading by more than 46,000 votes. One of the few democrats who actually kept their seat.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:49 pm

olywaguy wrote:Yes, it is official. Patty Murray was just re-elected to her fourth term in the U.S. Senate. She was leading by more than 46,000 votes. One of the few democrats who actually kept their seat.

Yup. As I expected. Dino Rossi is no Lou Barletta... he at least, has the graciousness, to know when he's lost an election, which enables him to live to fight another day. When I knew it was Rossi that was going to be Murray's opponent this time, I knew Murray was basically just handed another term on a silver platter, no matter what those way too pessimistic and unable to read tea leaves said. Rossi loves to run (and lose) against much more qualified women than him, it seems...

Postby Rico » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Had some time on my hand today to think about the Senate election results in the following States: Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Florida. Most were neat, conservative Republican victories in each. These Republicans ran on an an anti-Washington, low tax, "get the government off our backs" platform. All fine and convenient now. But when the next oil spill occurs, when the next hurricane strikes, when the next drought happens, when their own local low-tax policies leave their own citizens in desperate situations, guess who will be the first turn to Washington with their mouths open like pigs sideled up to a trough?

If you like statistics, and you understand a ratio like percent of tax dollars sent to Washington compared to tax dollars received, guess which States usually come out ahead? Answer: The Red ones.

Quite ironic, eh?

Source: http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/266.html
Note: All this is data from 2005, but the State rankings are generally consistent from year to year. My personal favorite is Kentucky, whose citizens just elected Rand Paul and consistently returns to the Senate Mitch McConnell.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Rico wrote:If you like statistics, and you understand a ratio like percent of tax dollars sent to Washington compared to tax dollars received, guess which States usually come out ahead? Answer: The Red ones.

Quite ironic, eh?

That's one word for it. Hypocritical is another. Although, wait, I don't think one word is enough in this case, so let me see what I can do with two:

Blatantly hypocritical. There. That's better.

Postby Rico » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:04 pm

UnRepublicanstraightactor wrote:Blatantly hypocritical. There. That's better.

That remark about Republican hypocricy reminded me of a graphic. Not only does it force us to remember which party has been at the helm when it comes to running up deficits, it also reminds us which party has held the Presidency and controlled the entire Executive branch of government for a majority of the last 4 decades. Counting full terms, that yields: Republicans 28 years. Democrats 12 years. [Note: Don't forget that that also includes 28 years of lifetime, Federal judicial appointments as well.] When they ask me to trust them again, I feel much like a rape victim being asked out on a date by my rapist. Or to put it in the words of the eloquent, former President Bush: "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Rico
Veteran Member

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:28 am

Rico wrote:
UnRepublicanstraightactor wrote:Blatantly hypocritical. There. That's better.

That remark about Republican hypocricy reminded me of a graphic. Not only does it force us to remember which party has been at the helm when it comes to running up deficits, it also reminds us which party has held the Presidency and controlled the entire Executive branch of government for a majority of the last 4 decades. Counting full terms, that yields: Republicans 28 years. Democrats 12 years. [Note: Don't forget that that also includes 28 years of lifetime, Federal judicial appointments as well.] When they ask me to trust them again, I feel much like a rape victim being asked out on a date by my rapist. Or to put it in the words of the eloquent, former President Bush: "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Ah. Eyes... hurt. Mind... shutting down. :(

Postby Rico » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 pm

UnRepublicanstraightactor wrote:Ah. Eyes... hurt. Mind... shutting down. :(

Don't feel too bad. Facts don't seem to matter anymore anyway. It's all about the fight.

Politicians go on TV, spit out their lies, platitudes and talking points, and then go on to their next gig. Rinse and Repeat. I'm sure the journalists and TV interviewers know that if they called any one of these politicians out on any of the bullsh*t being slung in their face, eyes would glaze over and viewers would likely tune out.

It's better for the ratings if we keep it focused on the fight: RED v. BLUE, GAY v. STRAIGHT, DEM v. REP, RICH v. POOR, etc. Everone loves a fight. The problem then becomes like with most ongoing feuds, we focus so much on the fight itself that we forget what we were fighting about in the first place.

Now I have a headache. :wink:
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Rico wrote:
UnRepublicanstraightactor wrote:Ah. Eyes... hurt. Mind... shutting down. :(

Don't feel too bad. Facts don't seem to matter anymore anyway. It's all about the fight.

Now I have a headache. :wink:

Haha I was mostly kidding. Your chart/graph makes sense. Thanks for posting it. :)

Postby Rico » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Oh...I knew that. My headache and frustration wasn't directed at you. I certainly know that you pay attention.

It was the notion that a greater proportion voting age young people regularly cast votes in "Dancing With the Stars" and "American Idol" than cast votes in U.S. political elections that gave me a headache. The simple thought of that wants me to put a butcher's knife to my throat, but I won't.

Better yet....I hope the USA reinstates the draft, and puts real guns with real bullets in the the youngsters ipod shaped hands, and ships them off to a nasty war in the Middle East or wherever in the world. Then I bet they'll vote. :lol:
Rico
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Politics