Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act

Postby Phoenix6570 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 pm

A new law is being proposed to congress called the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act. If this law is passed the Internet will start to change and rather dramatically in time.

The bill creates two blacklists of Internet domain names. The first can be added to by a court, the second by the Attorney General. Internet service providers (everyone from Comcast to PayPal to Google AdSense) would be required to block any domains on the first list. They would also receive immunity (and presumably the government's gratitude) for blocking domains on the second list.
~ Taken from http://www.Demandprogress.org

I encourage everyone to visit this site http://www.Demandprogress.org and take a critical look of what this law will actually do. In time it could lead to a rather censored internet experience. Please check it out and share it with everyone you know.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Re: Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act

Postby olywaguy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Go and read the actual bill on THOMAS, the official website of Congress where they publish the text of bills being considered as well as the public laws.

It is always best to read it for yourself without someone else's biased slant on the issue. You make up your mind on your own.

The reference to Title 17 of the U.S. Code pertains to copyright law.

Reference to Title 15 sec.1116 refers to injunctive relief under trademark law.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Demonoid added an announcement about this on their front page.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."
UnRepublicanstraightactor

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm glad they did. People need to know about this law. It has been postponed for the Senates October recess which is comforting, but I still recommend people read the bill and think about how this will change things.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Phoenix6570 wrote:People need to know about this law. It has been postponed for the Senates October recess which is comforting, but I still recommend people read the bill and think about how this will change things.

Agreed.

Demonoid posted an update yesterday -- November 12, Update:

The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a markup Nov. 18 on S. 3804, Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:10 pm

UPDATE on this situation --

News about COICA
There are renewed efforts by senator Leahy to reintroduce the COICA bill this year, which will allow to censor on demand any website the entertainment industry of the United States dislike. Practices like this are common in countries like Iran or China, the difference here is that the site they choose to target will be censored in the whole world.

Return to Politics