Don't Ask Don't Tell on its way to being repealed!

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Don't Ask Don't Tell on its way to being repealed!

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:47 am

Discuss. I might also post a vote breakdown prediction in the Senate only on passage. In the meantime, let's just say I predict passage.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."
UnRepublicanstraightactor

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell on its way to being repealed!

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:05 pm

... or maybe not.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Postby nimby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Believe it or not, the repeal of DADT may get a huge boost from none other than Lady Gaga. She just might weild enough clout to give it a huge push. All the power to her.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... -dont-tell
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 am

nimby wrote:Believe it or not, the repeal of DADT may get a huge boost from none other than Lady Gaga. She just might weild enough clout to give it a huge push. All the power to her.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... -dont-tell

I don't believe it, actually, and here's why...

Meanwhile, the pressure from Lady Gaga and her followers, who held a rally in Collins' home state Monday for DADT repeal, appears not to have had an affect on the state's senior senator, Olympia Snowe, either.

In a statement released Monday night, while Snowe did not say she was a 'no' on the Tuesday afternoon procedural motion, she certainly signaled she was headed in that direction.

After complaining about the situation with amendments, Snowe indicated a substantive objection, as well.

"Given that the law implementing the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy has been in place for nearly 17 years, I agree that it is overdue for a thorough review. The question is, whether we should be voting on this issue before we have the benefit of the comprehensive review that President Obama's Secretary of Defense ordered in March, to secure the input of our men and women in uniform during this time of war," the senator pondered, adding, "We should all have the opportunity to review that report which is to be completed on December 1, as we reevaluate this policy and the implementation of any new changes."

When asked how Snowe would ultimately vote, spokesman John Genztel demurred, saying only, "I guess we'll see."

The focus now turns to other possible GOP "yes" votes, including Sen George Voinovich, R-OH, but it is also not clear if Democrats can hold all of their own in line.

Sen Ben Nelson, D-NE, a pro-life Democrat, has said he is concerned about the repeal of a long time ban on abortions at military facilities. The bill permits women service members to use their own money for the procedure.

As well, Sen Jim Webb, D-VA, the lone Democrat to vote against the DADT repeal in committee, has not taken a position yet on the Tuesday procedural motion. The senator did, however, vote for the final defense bill in committee, even with the DADT repeal riding inside.

None of these senators seemed to give a flying f$#! about what Lady Gaga had to say on the issue any more than McCain did, even when her ralliers were making a ruckus inside one's home state as they were in the cases of Snowe and Collins. So it looks like it's lame duck or bust, at this point...

Postby backpacker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Looks like a judges ruling officially ends DADT.

Story here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101012/ap_ ... n_military
backpacker

Postby nimby » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Wow. Why isn't this all over the news? This is big stuff.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

nimby wrote:Why isn't this all over the news?

Because a bunch of Chilean miners decided to get stuck around the same time this happened. :mrgreen:

In regards to the ruling, let's hope the Obama Administration, in their infinite wisdom, after taking such strong, strong assets in red states like Janet Napolitano and Kathleen Sebelius and selfishly stealing them away for their administration, where, surprise, surprise they aren't able to do much good and have similar approval ratings to the Pres and aren't exactly standing out up high like Michelle or Hillary, don't screw up again and decide to appeal this ruling.

Postby nimby » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:48 pm

They screwed up big time and appealed.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:33 pm

I think what they want is for the U.S. Congress to do the repealing. If a judge does it, people could argue that it was an activist court....blah blah blah and that it wasn't done by the representatives of the people. Since the law was created by the Congress, it needs to repealed by the Congress.

I think, in reality, they must've been cheering inside but they can't express that publically.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:11 pm

olywaguy wrote:I think what they want is for the U.S. Congress to do the repealing. If a judge does it, people could argue that it was an activist court....blah blah blah and that it wasn't done by the representatives of the people. Since the law was created by the Congress, it needs to repealed by the Congress.

Well if it doesn't happen during the lame duck session of this Congress, it won't happen again for at least another decade, so it may ultimately wind up that the courts could be the final arbiters that decide the fate of DADT.
Last edited by UnRepublicanstraightactor on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby olywaguy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:36 am

Now if they lose the appeal, the judge's decision will stand and DADT would certainly be dead.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:48 am

olywaguy wrote:Now if they lose the appeal, the judge's decision will stand and DADT would certainly be dead.

The chances of a loss of appeal may depend on how far it goes, although I think the entire federal judiciary is generally against it, although the margins may be as slim as possible to get and still win the further up you go. The full 9th Circuit will likely agree with the lone federal judge who issued the opinion striking DADT down. If it makes it to SCOTUS, I think the liberal/moderate wing (including Kennedy) would rule against overturning the appeal, if not going so far as to agreeing with the initial decision. I wonder if it's actually possible that one of the four (the best we'll ever get) conservative justices might even vote to refuse to hear the appeal, which is probably best all around at this point and what we need for SCOTUS to decline to take the case. If for some reason Kennedy sides with the bloc of 4 conservative justices, it might be something of a nightmare in the fight to do away with DADT -- you can't talk more about worst case scenario than that... not sure why Obama didn't realize that it's best if one of the conservative SCOTUS justices retire before appealing such a wonderful decision as this.

REPEALED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:55 pm

REPEALED!!!

UnRepublicanstraightactor wrote:I might also post a vote breakdown prediction in the Senate only on passage.

Grouped By Vote Position

YEAs ---65
Akaka (D-HI)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Begich (D-AK)
Bennet (D-CO)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Brown (R-MA)
Burr (R-NC)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Coons (D-DE)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Ensign (R-NV)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Franken (D-MN)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Hagan (D-NC)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kirk (R-IL)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Merkley (D-OR)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schumer (D-NY)
Shaheen (D-NH)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (D-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Udall (D-CO)
Udall (D-NM)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (D-VA)
Webb (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---31
Alexander (R-TN)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Bennett (R-UT)
Bond (R-MO)
Brownback (R-KS)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Kyl (R-AZ)
LeMieux (R-FL)
Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)

Not Voting - 4
Bunning (R-KY)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
Manchin (D-WV) (Loser was smart enough to stay home on this vote.)

In the meantime, let's just say I predict passage.

Postby catapult » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:40 am

"It is time to close this chapter in our history," Obama said. "It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed."

"I don't care who you love," Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., said as the debate opened. "If you love this country enough to risk your life for it, you shouldn't have to hide who you are."

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, welcomed the change. "No longer will able men and women who want to serve and sacrifice for their country have to sacrifice their integrity to do so," he said. "We will be a better military as a result."

The Defense Department reported last month that in an eight-month study of more than 115,000 military personnel, 70 percent said ending the ban on gays serving openly would have a positive or neutral impact.

The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network called the issue the "defining civil-rights initiative of this decade."

At least 25 countries allow gays to serve openly in the armed forces, among them Britain, Canada and Israel, according to the Palm Center, a research institute at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
catapult

Return to Politics