William Shatner for Governor General

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

William Shatner for Governor General

Postby butch » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:01 am

The big news item today seems to be the push to ask William Shatner to be our next GG. When you think about it, he seems like a great choice if he would accept. It would be great public relations for Canada and I think he could do a really good job. Might not pay what he's used to but the job comes with a neat mansion.

Of all the other names I've heard put forward, Captain Kirk seems like the best one to me. Beam him up... our next head of state could take us where we've never gone before.

:D :D
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Re: William Shatner for Governor General

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:11 am

What a boring job. And you have to live in Ottawa all winter. For his sake, I hope he says no. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Ok Butch, put down the crack pipe and back away.
Are you for real? Look at this and tell me you're serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zYD3aekbk
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:37 am

nimby wrote:Ok Butch, put down the crack pipe and back away.
Are you for real? Look at this and tell me you're serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zYD3aekbk

Gee... that makes me even more in favour of Shatner for GG.

But... he doesn't speak french and I think that's a requirement... or so I've heard. Do we (Canadians) really take this GG thing seriously?

Isn't it all entertainment anyways? Justin Beiber is still too young for the job. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 am

Recruiting celebs for high office is not new. It's just just one of the many methods used by those who really have the power to keep power away from regular people. Enjoy the distraction!
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Info for our American and International friends.

The Governor General has no real power... except to assist in proroguing (temporary suspension of parliament... kind of like Congress, but it has the most power). The GG is the head of state of Canada, like the President with no real power though.

In Canada the "commander in chief" is the Chief of Defense Staff but that person is under the control of Parliament... i.e. there is a kind of separation of the military and government. The person in charge of the country is the Prime Minister who is the leader of the majority party in Parliament. But the Prime Minister must answer to Parliament. Only Parliament can declare war by a majority vote. We have no nuclear weapons so that is not a problem... who controls them.

The Governor General is a "meet and greet" kind of person who, as head of state, represents Canada when foreign heads of state come visiting or calling. Kind of the head public relations person for Canada. And the term is 5 years. The GG gets to live across the street from the Prime Minister in a free room and board house called Rideau Hall.

From what I've heard, Captain Kirk doesn't want the job anyways... but amused and grateful for the attention.

I think he is a good choice because Canadians tend not to take themselves too seriously. We simply give the world a supply of musicians, entertainers and scientists who work quietly behind the scenes in our nefarious plan to rule the world one day... and Canadians have come up with lots of neat inventions from the telephone, the zipper, the Canada Arm on the space shuttle, the charge coupled device (necessary for digital photography) yada yada...

Our latest recruit in controlling the minds of the world is Justin Beiber. Who would suspect?

This is the shack where the GG gets to live while in office. It comes rent free complete with servants...

Rideau Hall

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:23 pm

A good explanation of the position here --> http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/office-governor-general-canada#governor.

Whether the GG positon is mostly ceremonial or not, as long as it exists, it's still a governmental position funded by taxpayers, and when occupied by a celebrity because he's a celebrity, it further erodes the respect citizens have for government. That was my point.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Rico wrote:A good explanation of the position here --> http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/office-governor-general-canada#governor.

Whether the GG positon is mostly ceremonial or not, as long as it exists, it's still a governmental position funded by taxpayers, and when occupied by a celebrity because he's a celebrity, it further erodes the respect citizens have for government. That was my point.

I understand your point of view, however, it assumes that celebrities are idiots. George Bush was not a celebrity, but likely, IMO, the very worst president in the history of the USA... Reagan wasn't any better. Look what George Jr. did... stupid enough to create 2 new "viet nams" (Iraq and Afghanistan) which Americans will be paying for over years, and years, and years, and years to come, and the dead soldiers paid with their lives. Now we have 2 huge countries without stable government or law. We may not have liked the previous governments, but both were fairly stable and under their own rules of law. There was never any reason to invade either country, but the presidential system allowed it to declare war on 2 backward, but relatively stable countries. California under the governator is becoming one of the most progressive states of the union. Canada got suckered into Afghanistan but we're leaving next year, come hell or high water. IMO, most Canadians believe the current Afghan government to be completely corrupt.

i.e. There is no basis in facts to assuming a celebrity can't make a good leader or representative of a cause or country.

Aside from the diehard monarchists, I believe the reason we retain the GG is that we would have to re-write the constitution again to create new rules regarding a head of state and Canadians like to spread the power around rather than invest one person with too much power. The British System (that we use) may make for boring politics but it is very stable. It is also part of the reason that Canada has not had an economic meltdown, has no banking problem, and few lobbyists with any power while the USA is mostly governed by the interests of big money and lobbyists. To be honest, I really don't like the American political system one little bit... happy to be Canadian, as it were, in spite of any drawbacks.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:06 pm

There's lots of evidence that William Shatner is an idiot. And a funny one too. That's how he makes his living. There's many other serious and brillian actors who are suitable for the job, just not Shatner. How about Christopher Plummer? Michael J Fox? Or How about Lloyd Robertson? Someone with a bit of class.

And Sorry Butch, but did you just say you were happy? Wow. :P
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 pm

nimby wrote:There's lots of evidence that William Shatner is an idiot. And a funny one too. That's how he makes his living. There's many other serious and brillian actors who are suitable for the job, just not Shatner. How about Christopher Plummer? Michael J Fox? Or How about Lloyd Robertson? Someone with a bit of class.

And Sorry Butch, but did you just say you were happy? Wow. :P

Butch tries to be happy even in the worst of circumstances. I went to officer school in the navy and it was part of the training to act like you're in charge all the time... including not showing your fears and troubles no matter how bad things were going. In my old age, I must admit, I'm more inclined to tell people who are pissing me off to go f*k themselves and I'm not above being quite rude to get their attention. Maybe it's part of my officer training... "I'm the boss and don't you forget it".

As regards choices given (above), I feel Christopher Plummer would appeal to only a narrow segment of Canadians and I'm not sure how well known he is outside of Canada. As for Michael J Fox, in spite of Canadians' desire to be all inclusive as regards the disabled, I'm not certain he would want the job, nor his ability to handle all the travel and events required. One does have to show up and carry on with some quite tedious events.

As for Lloyd Robertson, I don't think anyone outside of Canada would have a clue who he is. He seems a bit stiff and conservative minded to me.

The GG job is a public relations job, so I'm hoping whoever does it will be someone who is able to raise the profile of Canada abroad.

Today an extraordinary decision was made as regards the superiority of Parliament above the ruling government. It was re-affirmed that Parliament has the power, not the ruling government party... and it was done in good Canadian style by allowing a couple of weeks for Harper and his cronies to work something out with Parliament as regards handing over the Afghanistan documents to Parliament to look at. The government was found not to be in contempt of Parliament, but was given a slap on the wrist at the same time.

The reason the ruling is so extraordinary is that it affects not only Canada, but also the governments of England, India, and Australia (that have the same system of government) because it effects precedent law (case law). i.e. the Canadian ruling could be used, in future, to resolve disputes in those countries, too.

Anyhow, it's interesting that Canadians are actually taking an interest in who should be the next GG and I think we have Michelle Jean to thank for that for doing such a good job the past 5 years.

Did you know Stanley Park is named after one of our first GG's? Lord Stanley was one of the first GG's.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:51 am

American politics is a sad show that's for sure. It's always been corrupt, but now it's so corrupt it's just....well like I said....sad.

I guess having that much wealth concentrated in one country is the problem. Rampant greed is sure to follow.

Canadian politics is tough to watch for other reasons ie. boredom. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Sun May 02, 2010 10:04 pm

nimby wrote:Michael J Fox?

They considered him, but he couldn't sit still for the ceremony.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby nimby » Sun May 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Owww! That's cold. But pretty damn funny too!!! :lol:
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Politics