Parliamentary Prorogation Protests

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Parliamentary Prorogation Protests

Postby Cachasa » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:13 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/0 ... tests.html

I find this to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. This is why young hipsters should not be allowed on facebook. lol
Parlement get's prorogued everytime it takes a break. It's just a month longer this time.
Prorogation is a perfectly legal and normal thing. It's not wrong in any way.

Was it legitimate for the PM to ask the GG to do it? Especially at the time it happened? Well, no of course it wasn't. But it is certainly not worth protesting over! Especially when the PM is working on dealing with Haiti's devastation and getting them funding meanwhile prorogation happened a few weeks ago and will be over in 2 months.
Cachasa

Re: Parliamentary Prorogation Protests

Postby batty » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Cachasa wrote:Parlement get's prorogued everytime it takes a break. It's just a month longer this time.

Let's not confuse adjournments such as the one that takes place every summer and during the Holidays) with "prorogation".

The huge difference, and most offensive as a taxpayer, is that when the session is proroged, all the Bills that have not received Royal Assent are discared and will have to be re-introduced "from scratch" for the next session. The House, which already isn't a 24/7 affair has lost months and months of work. So I've been paying for MPs, staff and committees, for naught!

Prorogation is a perfectly legal and normal thing. It's not wrong in any way.

That's a fallacious argument. Yes prorogation is legal and is used in our Parliamentary system. But legality does not equate to moral righteousness. I'm sure the pro-abortion people would have a lot to say about that.
I don't think we should downplay the brazen arrogance in that move. And the polls seem to show that people, despite the current climate of political disenfranchisement, took notice.

I'm really not impressed by our current leadership (or lack thereof in Canada) at the moment. And the alternative, Iggy? Ha! I sure hope I don't have to plug my nose when I cast my ballot at the next election.
batty

Re: Parliamentary Prorogation Protests

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm having trouble getting angry about it. I mean ask yourself "how is my life better after any session of parliament?"

Zilch, zip, nada. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Return to Politics