Big Brother is here

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Big Brother is here

Postby butch » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:27 pm

I noticed a week ago when I took a trolley over to Kitsilano that it was outfitted with brand-new cameras... 5 of them. I have taken several trolleys since then and all now seem to be outfitted with cameras. I hadn't heard about it in the local news... maybe no one noticed yet. I suspect it has something to do with the coming Olympics here this winter (the security bill in now at 1 billion dollars), but I'm certain the trolley cameras are a permanent thing because it must have cost a fortune to do.

Personally, I don't mind but when every public transportation vehicle is outfitted with video surveillance it seems Big Brother has truly arrived. I've only been on the new subway (Canada Line) once and didn't notice any cameras but, while talking to someone else about it, they mentioned that all of the subway cars are now being outfitted with cameras too.

Also, our main drag, Granville Street (downtown) was recently completely torn up as part of the subway line construction, and I'm told it is now being fitted out with cameras a well. We already had cameras at major intersections all over the city since the early 90's.

Interesting, don't you think?
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Re: Big Brother is here

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 am

Well I got to see my street on Google maps today....wow! I actually saw the car that took the pic back on April 15th. Not a very nice pic. Gravel all over the road, and the trees were all still dead.

But I guess it's a fun thing to have...

Surveillance cameras don't bother me but they're a waste of tax money. Our Olympics were held in simpler times....no terrorism in 88. Well none that mattered anyway. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 am

Earl Butz wrote:Well I got to see my street on Google maps today....wow! I actually saw the car that took the pic back on April 15th. Not a very nice pic. Gravel all over the road, and the trees were all still dead.

But I guess it's a fun thing to have...

Surveillance cameras don't bother me but they're a waste of tax money. Our Olympics were held in simpler times....no terrorism in 88. Well none that mattered anyway. :P

My street was shot early in the morning in early spring because the cherry blossoms are happening. Someone is walking past my place pushing his bike.

It's pretty neat, that application. Quite surreal in a way. Slowly the matrix is constructed. Can you imagine gamers setting up real life games with the maps application as one of the databases?
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 am

I see it still has a few glitches. I tried to find two of my old houses, and neither one would show. One was in Regina and I guess they haven't filmed there yet. The other one is in Calgary. It would show the neighbors on either side, but not the house in the middle. How irritating! I guess you get what you pay for.... :evil:
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby batty » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Installing Cameras on Granville Street is the only sensible thing to do, with the amount of bar fights and brawls that take place there. It gives evidence to prosecutors to prosecute instigators. Remember the pandhandler who slapped a female commuter last Spring at Waterfront station? Cameras caught his face and they plastered his picture in the media, he was caught within 48hrs. I am totally in support of cameras in very high traffic or very low traffic areas.

Of course cameras only go so far... if our judicial system is laden with bleeding-heart judges.
batty

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:16 am

Well I got it to work....you just move the arrows around until the house you want shows up. :mrgreen:

Such excitement! :P
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Return to Politics