FACEBOOK blinks

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

FACEBOOK blinks

Postby butch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 am

For those of you who may not hear news out of Canada. Recently the Canadian Government Privacy Commissioner ordered FACEBOOK to make changes to the way it hangs on to information because it violated Canadian privacy laws... the point being that the Canadian government would take Facebook to court. Facebook had 30 days to comply.

Today Facebook announced it will change the way it retains information to comply with Canadian law and will apply the changes worldwide.

They said they need time to do it, but they will comply. It will mean that people who delete their accounts will, indeed, have the information actually deleted. I don't have all the details, just thought those who don't hear about news in Canada may not hear about this "blink" from Facebook.

:D :D :D
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Re: FACEBOOK blinks

Postby furface » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm not conversant with CA privacy laws. I suspect the concern was/is something along the lines that FACEBOOK didn't purge canceled users data, but simply made is 'inaccessible' on their servers. While this may be an improvement it won't actually removed the date from the net, just fron the FACEBOOK owned servers. We all know everything is archived out there in cyberspace. If ya know where to look it's out there.

Given the structure if the net I don't see the retention of data changing anytime soon. I certainly don't know how, or even if it's possible, to truly purge data from the net or to ensure individual privacy on it. One thing that might help would be for users to consciously remember that once it's on the net you have no real control over it; so be careful what ya put out there.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby butch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:33 pm

I was reading about it in the paper today. There are 2 issues... deleting canceled account information and not giving personal information to people developing applications for FaceBook.

FaceBook has agreed it WILL delete information on canceled accounts and they will stop providing personal information to application developers. It remains to be seen if it works, but apparently some OTHER social network (that remains a secret) has also agreed to the terms in order to keep their name out of the papers.

So... FaceBook has agreed to actually delete information when an account is closed and to stop providing personal information to application developers which includes not allowing games disguised as information collectors... i.e. no more games that are actually information collectors.

I think they will follow through because no company has the resources to fight the resources of a government. And those things are taken very seriously in Canada. Aside from a lawsuit they would not win, the government could order blocking of FaceBook on Canadian servers... a difficult move, but if the fines are in the millions, and there aren't that many service providers to speak of in Canada... the Canadian government has serious control over the communication lines, I think the service providers will comply.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Of the two issues mentioned the data mining/data release by the app developers is the most troubling. FB's decision to agree to both changes is a positive step for improving personal privacy on the social networking sites. I hope other vendors follow suit. Even if they do, it's still important to remember there is no real expectation of privacy on the net. The users have to have some sense of responsibility and not release/post information they want to be confidential. Props to Canada's government.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:45 am

Wow I just found two of my old school friends on Facebook. Had not seen either one for 30 years. Who knew the internet would bring them back? What an invention!

I also found some other people I went to school with. A geek who still works at McDonald's. :shock: An artsy fartsy guy who runs an auto shop. All the people who used to wear glasses now don't. All the people who didn't wear glasses, now do. Odd.

I guess this makes classmates.com an official failure. Facebook does a way better job.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Return to Politics