Obama - Brilliant orator or master hypnotist?

Enter at your own risk. There's bound to be some heated discussions in here about the elephant and the donkey.

Moderators: selective_soldier, drtom, edu999, devilnuts

Obama - Brilliant orator or master hypnotist?

Postby nimby » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Came accross a rather interesting article from the AAPS and discussions from professionals in the field of hypnotism.

http://www.aapsonline.org/newsoftheday/0089
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Re: Obama - Brilliant orator or master hypnotist?

Postby solat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:31 am

nimby wrote:discussions from professionals in the field of hypnotism.

Really? Didn't know it was a profession. I always categorised hypnotisim as an amusement, along naturopaths, Reiki practitioners and creation scientists.
solat

Postby edu999 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 am

solat wrote:Really? Didn't know it was a profession. I always categorised hypnotisim as an amusement, along naturopaths, Reiki practitioners and creation scientists.

Correction, Allan... creation "scientists" aren't amusements... they're freakshows and snake oil salesmen.
edu999

Postby foxeyes2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:50 am

Well the real question is Will President Obama make us all cluck like chickens when our phones ring? :P
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 am

Awww, c'mon. Is that the best you guys got? I'm disappointed. Isn't the source good enough?

"The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) is a non-partisan professional association of physicians in all types of practices and specialties across the country.

Since 1943, AAPS has been dedicated to the highest ethical standards of the Oath of Hippocrates and to preserving the sanctity of the patient-physician relationship and the practice of private medicine.

Our motto, "omnia pro aegroto" means "all for the patient."

Read our "Principles of Medical Ethics"
Read our "Patients Bill of Rights"

[MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION]

We welcome all physicians (M.D. and D.O.) as members. Podiatrists, dentists, chiropractors and other medical professionals are welcome to join as professional associate members. Staff members and the public are welcome as associate members. Medical students are welcome to join free of charge. All are welcome to sign up for our e-mail alerts."

Bring it on. BRING... IT... ON !! :twisted:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 am

solat wrote:Really? Didn't know it was a profession. I always categorised hypnotisim as an amusement, along naturopaths, Reiki practitioners and creation scientists.

Well then, glad to enlighten you...

Medical applications

"Hypnobirthing" is one popular application of hypnosis.[39]Hypnotherapy has been successfully used as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome, a pair of researchers who recently reviewed the best studies in this area, conclude,

The evidence for hypnosis as an efficacious treatment of IBS was encouraging. Two of three studies that investigated the use of hypnosis for IBS were well designed and showed a clear effect for the hypnotic treatment of IBS. [40]

Hypnosis for IBS has also received moderate support as an evidence-based treatment in the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence guidance published for the UK health services.[41] It has been used as an alternative to chemical anaesthesia,[42][43][44] and it has been studied as a way to soothe skin ailments.[45]

A large number of clinical studies show that hypnosis can reduce the pain experienced by people undergoing burn-wound debridement, bone marrow aspirations, and childbirth. The International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis found that hypnosis relieved the pain of 75% of 933 subjects participating in 27 different experiments.[46]

In 1996, the National Institutes of Health declared hypnosis effective in reducing pain from cancer and other chronic conditions.[46] Nausea and other symptoms related to incurable diseases may also be controlled with hypnosis.[47][48][49][50] For example, research done at the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine studied two groups of patients facing surgery for breast cancer. The group that received hypnosis reported less pain, nausea, and anxiety post-surgery. There was a cost benefit as well: the average hypnosis patient reduced the cost of treatment by an average of $772.00.[51][52]

Hypnodermatology is the practice of treating skin diseases with hypnosis: this therapy has performed well in studies treating warts, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis.[53]

Hypnosis may be useful as an adjunct therapy for weight loss. A 1996 meta-analysis studying the effectiveness of hypnosis combined with cognitive-behavioral therapy found that people using both treatments lost more weight than people using CBT alone.[54]

[edit] Psychotherapy

Professor Charcot (left) of Paris' Salpêtrière demonstrates hypnosis on a "hysterical" patient, "Blanche" (Marie) Wittman, who is supported by Dr. Joseph Babiński.Hypnotherapy is the use of hypnosis in psychotherapy.[55] It is used by licensed physicians, psychologists, and in stand-alone environments. Physicians and psychiatrists may use hypnosis to help treat depression, anxiety, eating disorders, sleep disorders, and posttraumatic stress disorder.[56]

Certified hypnotherapists who are not physicians or psychologists often do treatments for smoking cessation and weight loss. (Success rates vary: a meta-study researching hypnosis as a quit-smoking tool found it had a 20 to 30 percent success rate, similar to many other quit-smoking methods,[57] while a 2007 study of patients hospitalized for cardiac and pulmonary ailments found that smokers who used hypnosis to quit smoking doubled their chances of success.[58])

In a July 2001 article for Scientific American titled "The Truth and the Hype of Hypnosis", Michael Nash wrote that "...using hypnosis, scientists have temporarily created hallucinations, compulsions, certain types of memory loss, false memories, and delusions in the laboratory so that these phenomena can be studied in a controlled environment."[46]

The more you know...
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:45 pm

nimby wrote:

Well then, glad to enlighten you...

Medical applications

"Hypnobirthing" is one popular application of hypnosis.[39]Hypnotherapy has been successfully used as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome, a pair of researchers who recently reviewed the best studies in this area, conclude,

The evidence for hypnosis as an efficacious treatment of IBS was encouraging. Two of three studies that investigated the use of hypnosis for IBS were well designed and showed a clear effect for the hypnotic treatment of IBS. [40]

Hypnosis for IBS has also received moderate support as an evidence-based treatment in the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence guidance published for the UK health services.[41] It has been used as an alternative to chemical anaesthesia,[42][43][44] and it has been studied as a way to soothe skin ailments.[45]

A large number of clinical studies show that hypnosis can reduce the pain experienced by people undergoing burn-wound debridement, bone marrow aspirations, and childbirth. The International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis found that hypnosis relieved the pain of 75% of 933 subjects participating in 27 different experiments.[46]

In 1996, the National Institutes of Health declared hypnosis effective in reducing pain from cancer and other chronic conditions.[46] Nausea and other symptoms related to incurable diseases may also be controlled with hypnosis.[47][48][49][50] For example, research done at the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine studied two groups of patients facing surgery for breast cancer. The group that received hypnosis reported less pain, nausea, and anxiety post-surgery. There was a cost benefit as well: the average hypnosis patient reduced the cost of treatment by an average of $772.00.[51][52]

Hypnodermatology is the practice of treating skin diseases with hypnosis: this therapy has performed well in studies treating warts, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis.[53]

Hypnosis may be useful as an adjunct therapy for weight loss. A 1996 meta-analysis studying the effectiveness of hypnosis combined with cognitive-behavioral therapy found that people using both treatments lost more weight than people using CBT alone.[54]

[edit] Psychotherapy

Professor Charcot (left) of Paris' Salpêtrière demonstrates hypnosis on a "hysterical" patient, "Blanche" (Marie) Wittman, who is supported by Dr. Joseph Babiński.Hypnotherapy is the use of hypnosis in psychotherapy.[55] It is used by licensed physicians, psychologists, and in stand-alone environments. Physicians and psychiatrists may use hypnosis to help treat depression, anxiety, eating disorders, sleep disorders, and posttraumatic stress disorder.[56]

Certified hypnotherapists who are not physicians or psychologists often do treatments for smoking cessation and weight loss. (Success rates vary: a meta-study researching hypnosis as a quit-smoking tool found it had a 20 to 30 percent success rate, similar to many other quit-smoking methods,[57] while a 2007 study of patients hospitalized for cardiac and pulmonary ailments found that smokers who used hypnosis to quit smoking doubled their chances of success.[58])

In a July 2001 article for Scientific American titled "The Truth and the Hype of Hypnosis", Michael Nash wrote that "...using hypnosis, scientists have temporarily created hallucinations, compulsions, certain types of memory loss, false memories, and delusions in the laboratory so that these phenomena can be studied in a controlled environment."[46]

The more you know...

In addition it has been an approved form of therapy by the American Medical Association since 1958.

It is a real profession. I am a hypnotherapist. I must say there is a difference between stage hypnosis ( what most people are familiar with) and therapy hypnosis.
Daknee

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Thank you! I think it is rather an incredible science. I am a product of NLP. It took me from a D student in high school to Straight As in college, consecutive Dean's list and an Honour graduate.

My hat's off to you.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:30 pm

nimby wrote:Thank you! I think it is rather an incredible science. I am a product of NLP. It took me from a D student in high school to Straight As in college, consecutive Dean's list and an Honour graduate.

My hat's off to you.

Many of the tools/techniques talked about in the article are great for creating change in a person provided the person truly wants the change as in your case Nimby. Thanks for your wonderful imput and experience BTW. However, in keeping with the original posted article, I must also say it would be impossible to use them as a means to "control" a nation. I wouldn't want people to think this. Although I do feel the author of the article was trying to imply it. Helpful, yes added with charisma wonderful with working or dealing with people. Speaking from my own personal life I do not get everything I want from others any more than what is normal for any of us. Any of my enemies would tell you this if they could only stop clucking. :lol:
Daknee

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:22 pm

Daknee wrote:
...However, in keeping with the original posted article, I must also say it would be impossible to use them as a means to "control" a nation. I wouldn't want people to think this. ...:

You're very welcome. The words are from the heart.

Now, I think that millions of Europeans would disagree with you on your position as it has already happened once in the near past and is apt to happen again. History is funny like this. When you compare both points in history, the economic turmoil and the political strife, ("...may use hypnosis to help treat depression, anxiety, eating disorders, sleep disorders, and posttraumatic stress disorder...") then compare the two brilliant orators who rose to power rather suddenly, you can see that the similarities are rather striking.

All I'm saying is a forgotten history is doomed to be repeated. I do know what signs to watch for, but as you can see by the above remarks, most others don't. And believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

Cheers.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:59 pm

daknee wrote:It is a real profession. I am a hypnotherapist. I must say there is a difference between stage hypnosis ( what most people are familiar with) and therapy hypnosis.

I had actually considered getting the required coursework completed to get certified myself. I'm mostly "self taught". The funny thing is, most people don't realize that just listening to someone talk can be very hypnotic. That's why I can't watch speeches or anything else without seeing through the techniques that they use.

Like you said, there were some pretty "great" ones in history, eh? Let's hope that the public remains more aware this time.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Daknee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 pm

devilnuts wrote:
daknee wrote:It is a real profession. I am a hypnotherapist. I must say there is a difference between stage hypnosis ( what most people are familiar with) and therapy hypnosis.

I had actually considered getting the required coursework completed to get certified myself. I'm mostly "self taught". The funny thing is, most people don't realize that just listening to someone talk can be very hypnotic. That's why I can't watch speeches or anything else without seeing through the techniques that they use.

Like you said, there were some pretty "great" ones in history, eh? Let's hope that the public remains more aware this time.

For the record I didn't say anything about anyone in history. However I agree. You must have pick up on the subliminal message I embeded. :lol: As for the public being aware one can only hope. In my opinion people seem to be more sheepish today, followers. What happend to all the protestors of the sixties?
Daknee

Postby nimby » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 am

Has anyone seen this? Called, "The Pledge."

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGUnR0wiCw

I'm not quite sure what to think of this.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:20 pm

edu999 wrote:

Correction, Allan... creation "scientists" aren't amusements... they're freakshows and snake oil salesmen.

I stand corrected :wink:

Nimby - The link to the AAPS: If these opinions are representative of the main body of The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons Inc. (A voice for Private Physicians since 1943), I wouldn't care if they called themselves The Royal College of Surgeons, I'd still think they were a pack of dickheads.

Back to the topic: Does Obama use subversive neuro-linguistic programming to influence public opinion?
Dah. I'm sure nothing he says escapes the hoard of spin-doctors and media consultants his office employs. These days, I doubt anyone of any consequence in private or public office would say anything without their words being doctored. Obama's speeches would be the rule, not the exception.

And Dubya would've done the same if he could've strung a coherent sentence together.

Are we done with this conspiracy theory yet?

Next!
solat

Postby Tygrrrr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 pm

I'd put P.U. as the hypnotist, or at least the better bullsh!t purveyor.
Change you can believe in.

Translation - Pocket change is all you'll have left. You can believe in that!
Tygrrrr

Postby nimby » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:55 am

Hmmmmm...Did he pass the sniff test after all?
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Politics