The Guy Quiz

Discussion on what it means to be straight acting, whether it's good, bad or indifferent.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface

Do you think the guy quiz is stereotyped?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes : 20

The Guy Quiz

Postby cloudy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:46 pm

:?:
It's been over five years since I first did the guy quiz. It looks the same (I just checked it out). What I noticed when I did the quiz way back when is that it is configured to produce and perpetuate what a "straight acting" guy is. I didn't have the option to select "none of the above" and was forced to take the path of least resistance (I came out as a #1).

I really could care less what someone thinks about my straightness, however, the reason I think this site has possibilites is that I don't relate to "gay" people very well. I'm quite a loner, anyhow, especially since my partner of 18 years passed away 10 years ago, and I find most gay men too effeminate, too air-headed, or too something or other for me to relate to. I don't necessarily find straight men better, or anything... there's a lot of dumb, dumb, dumb straight men out there.

What I think would be good, since this site is in a rebuild mode, is to ask members what kinds of questions they think should be in the guy quiz.
If nothing else, a "non of the above" choice should be available.

I "grew up" in the armed forces of Canada and I didn't come out until I was in my 20's. I didn't really have much of a grasp on the world 'till I was in my 30's... as regards what the gay community is. I was very naive and, as a founding member of Vancouver's Gay Liberation Front , I naively thought my views reflected that of most gay people. I was wrong.

Most gay people weren't at all concerned about their lives and how people were persecuting them. And the gay men I had met were in the military and what seemed to me to be "normal" gay men. I was wrong.

I guess, because I hang with straight men most of the time, my views on what it means to be "gay" and "straight-acting" are distorted but the guy quiz is, to me, definitely biased towards what most gay men "think" it means to be straight.

Anyhow, my point is that it might be time to update the questions and answers and input from members would be useful.

Dat's my thoughts.

:D
cloudy

Postby cloudy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:05 pm

:roll:
Guess this is the same as the SA LEVELS thread. Just shows to go you what a ditz I can be (I forgot about that one), but what the hey... maybe it will renew interest. I'm such a motor mouth, aren't I? You don't have to answer that... I already know. I have an ego as big as they come.
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T.S. Eliot
cloudy

Postby matym » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:16 pm

The entire idea of a label is stereotyping. If you are to label someone as straightacting, then certain traits and characteristics would deem to follow and a description of that label.
matym

Postby dabonsteed » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:17 pm

yeah, I think "none of the above" should be an option on just about all the questions, lol.

course, the test is meant in jest.
"this is your life, are you who you want to be?"
Switchfoot
dabonsteed

Re: The Guy Quiz

Postby masculinity » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:32 am

cloudy wrote:I didn't really have much of a grasp on the world 'till I was in my 30's... as regards what the gay community is. I was very naive and, as a founding member of Vancouver's Gay Liberation Front , I naively thought my views reflected that of most gay people. I was wrong.

Most masculine western males who end up taking on the 'gay', because of their well-developed sexual interest in men, are misled by the Western invalid definitions and classifications based on 'sexual orientation'. They make the mistake of thinking that 'gay' just means "liking other men", and they are rudely shocked to find that there is this hidden baggage of 'femininity' which the identity don't warn you about.

I too made that mistake once, and I was too distressed to find out gay meant something totally different than what was my essence.., but I was lucky, because in my society I found my place as a straight man, along with my sexual interest in men... because, they were all into it in any case... and anyone who was masculine was one of the 'guys' not 'gays'... because our identities are not as distorted as Western identities.

cloudy wrote:Most gay people weren't at all concerned about their lives and how people were persecuting them. And the gay men I had met were in the military and what seemed to me to be "normal" gay men. I was wrong.

It is wrong to say that most gays are not concerned about their lives. The thing is that most gays are queers (i.e. feminine) and since 'gay' is basically a queer, third gender space, they fit in quite well, and don't have many issues with it... the masculine gendered males who like men, who're actually straights and not gays, on the other hand feel persecuted and want to fight it out... the gays don't relate with it. And when they do want to do something about the 'gay' community, their issues and conerns are totally different than the pseudo-gays (i.e. masculine, straight males who like men).

My experiences with the gay community are exactly the same.

And, my advice to you would be to chuck the 'gay' identity. The guys you met in the military were not 'gays' but were straight men who like men (even if their attraction for men were exclusive).

cloudy wrote:I guess, because I hang with straight men most of the time, my views on what it means to be "gay" and "straight-acting" are distorted but the guy quiz is, to me, definitely biased towards what most gay men "think" it means to be straight.

The first wrong notion about what it means to be 'straight' is that it means heterosexual. Because straight is about being masculine not about liking women. The gays have defined it as heterosexual. In fact, the heterosexual identity came into being as a response by the masculine male community to distance themselves from the third sex which started to define themselves as 'men who like men'.
Gays are a different species altogether from men (and women). They're not "men who like men," they are "third gender who like men."

http://youth-masculinity.blogspot.com
masculinity

Postby masculinity » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:33 am

matym wrote:The entire idea of a label is stereotyping. If you are to label someone as straightacting, then certain traits and characteristics would deem to follow and a description of that label.

The problem with gays is that they think all other ideas of labelling, except the 'gay' label itself is stereotyping...

what about labelling a sexual interest in men as 'gay' or 'queer'?

If you ask me, even the 'homosexual' or 'Men who have sex with men' labels are invalid... even if they may seem technically correct... because they've been used for 'queers who like men' or 'queer who have sex with men', and as such have become too stigmatized for straight males who acknowledge their sexual interest in men.
Gays are a different species altogether from men (and women). They're not "men who like men," they are "third gender who like men."

masculinity

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:18 am

I don't know anything about the quiz, but quizzes are ALWAYS created with an objective. The objective of measuring for certain traits/values, or grasp of certain information in a specific context.

Quizzes that work with rating answers on a 1-5 scale, or 1-10 scale, are helpful because the greater the range of answers that are possible the better chance there is for accuracy when evaluating the results.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby masculinity » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:01 pm

dracuscalico wrote:I don't know anything about the quiz, but quizzes are ALWAYS created with an objective. The objective of measuring for certain traits/values, or grasp of certain information in a specific context.

Quizzes that work with rating answers on a 1-5 scale, or 1-10 scale, are helpful because the greater the range of answers that are possible the better chance there is for accuracy when evaluating the results.

The question is, who is evaluating the results, how valid are his criteria for evaluating the results, how well is he qualified to evaluate the results... just because someone (although it may represent the view of the 'gay' community as such, but it still doesn't make it right!) made a quiz based upon his own (or the community's) whims and fancies or attitudes, doesn't make it really valid.

masculinity

Location...

Postby keithklasiko » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:55 pm

And where is this Guy Quiz? am just curious about it..
keithklasiko

Postby olywaguy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:15 pm

The Guy Quiz was a feature of the old straightacting.com website...a very popular one.

The quiz asked a series of questions to determine how gay you are. The scale went from 1 to 10 with 1 being the most masculine and 10 being the most feminine.

So, the original poster, wondered if the questions on the quiz were too stereotypical or not.

Some of the questions included:

--How many candles you have at home.
--What kind of dog did you have or would have.
--Bubble bath anyone?

and others.

Other features from the old website included the posting of pictures of guys, dogs, and cars and determine on the aforementioned scale of 1 - 10 how masculine and feminine they were.

Another nice feature was the opportunity for a guy to compete in the cover model of the month contest. Everyone had the opportunity to vote for their favorite guy and whoever got the most votes got voted as the month's cover model.

From good old Internet Archive:

--Guy Quiz

--The StraightActing.com page as it appeared in 2004.

--Rate Me: Guys (I'm afraid the images are not showing up but you can get the general idea).

--Rate Me: Dogs

--Rate Me: Cars
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Return to Straight Acting Men