Queer - yeah or neigh?

Discussion on what it means to be straight acting, whether it's good, bad or indifferent.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface

How do you feel about the word 'queer'?

We're taking it back! I think it's great!
15%
It doesn't bother me.
36%
I don't like it.
29%
It is a degrading term and I hate it.
20%

Total votes : 59

Queer - yeah or neigh?

Postby Smitty » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:38 am

I stumbled over this 'editorial' and thought it would be as much fun to argue about as anything else. How do you feel about the word 'queer'? Do you call yourself queer? Do you call others queer? Do you allow others to call you queer? Do you wince when you hear the word or do you feel a hip sense of pride?
Let's bury the repulsive word "queer" once and for all.

While many tragic things have happened to the gay community during the last two decades, one of the worst of all was the introduction of the homophobic word "queer." The almost sinister, duplicitous way this little dirty trick was performed should be the subject of an interesting book. The word was introduced by the usual self-appointed suspects in our community. In some ways it shows how politically weak the gay community is, and how easy it is to announce that you're a gay leader who will now tell gay people what they should call themselves. And unfortunately, how easily some gay people are duped. A poll we've taken on this site indicates what our intuition already told us, namely that most gay people don't like the word. Most people we know and respect hate the word and always will. The bizarre, downright silly and cult-like defense of the word which basically comes down to "we're taking the word back yada-yada," is just plain moronic. Taking a word back? It's a little like trying to take back flatulence in an elevator. Even one of the original promoters of the word has admitted that it was a big mistake. That's actually an understatement. If the word is all wrong for you, and you feel that it undermines the self-respect and integrity of the gay community, let your feelings be known. Words do matter. Don't support publications or advertisers who are trying to "queer" the gay community. The word is a betrayal of everyone who fought for the liberation of the gay and lesbian community. And it is not even remotely cool. Unless you think that creepy is cool. If you do chose to call yourself "queer" you should know one thing: the whole straight world is laughing behind your back. Especially the homophobes. They love it when you demean yourself and your community.

Link: The Gay Cartoons Site
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby Endobrian » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:57 am

There's something queer about that.
---------------------------
War over there, is peace over here. Freedom of speech and of the press, binds us.
What we arn't told, is strength.

'84.
Endobrian

Postby qwertz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:17 pm

Nothing is more powerful than words. Religion is ONLY about words. ONLY and about NOTHING ELSE, especially the 3 book religions. And after they have produced words about NOTHING, they start producing words about their own words and call it "theology" or something else only to give it all an air of "seriousness".

I just opened a thread about "Words" in "Guy's stuff". I began with the word "male bulge" since this is greatly interesting me a lot. And I have just the very same interest in words, all kinds of words. I think many words should dissappear and many other words should be created so that we all can think otherwise than what religion thought us. At present even the gretest atheists are too much influenced by a religious background. Words create your way of thinking.

As for "queer" I think it would be a nice word if we would live in another kind of society.
qwertz

Postby *B*i*L*L*y » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:33 pm

Takin' it Back....is my choice....

I also am taking back....faggot...poofter...fudgepacker..queen...mary...cumsucker and any other term used by "others" to describe me.......

These terms can have a big influence on another....if used appropriately......and with the right amount of acidity.

I do find "straightacting" and "normal" offensive. So please, please never refer to me as either....cuz neither is true. :wink:

Billy
*B*i*L*L*y

Postby dabonsteed » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:14 pm

I don't mind queer, because it seems, in my head, to always be connected with mystery, intrigue, that sort of thing. And I don't mind being regarded as mysterious or intriguing. Especially when I'm doing mundane things like my laundry and paying my bills.. :lol:

"Look, I think that guy doing laundry is queer!"

[orchestra plays mystery music, close up on Dabon putting change in the machine.]

:lol:

A friend reminded me why "cocksucker" is not an insult. Because it is a VERY nice thing for someone to do for you!! I'll have to admit, it is a nice little favor. Wouldn't we all be a little less edgy if there were literally more cocksuckers in the word?

my favorite, still is "Ass Pirate" Because I picture like bluebeard or one of those gnarly Pirate guys going "ARRRRR, Fabulous, ARRRR!" in that grizzled sea-captain voice like the one on the Simpsons.

"Avast ye, matey, ye be wearing a nice tank top, ARRRR!"
"this is your life, are you who you want to be?"
Switchfoot
dabonsteed

Postby Xaphan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:43 pm

*B*i*L*L*y wrote:Takin' it Back....is my choice....

I also am taking back....faggot...poofter...fudgepacker..queen...mary...cumsucker and any other term used by "others" to describe me.......

These terms can have a big influence on another....if used appropriately......and with the right amount of acidity.

I do find "straightacting" and "normal" offensive. So please, please never refer to me as either....cuz neither is true. :wink:

Billy

You're still cool with cumdumpster, right?
Living in the desert.
Xaphan

Postby michaelk69 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:52 pm

Quite often when people make a statement that assumes I am straight (e.g. I bet your girlfriend hates when you do that . . .), I often say, well, no worries there, because I'm queer.

I think it is a very strong word if used in that way, and definitely carries with it an unapologetic air . . .
michaelk69

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:15 pm

Yes, I have called myself queer. After all, gay doesn't really fit, and if I say transgendered that gets people even more confused. So I just say that I am queer.
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/lesleycharles
Lesley R. Charles

Postby devilnuts » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:29 pm

It's a little like trying to take back flatulence in an elevator.

Now THAT would be a trick...

Dabon...I made a whole list of them when I did my stand up routine for my writing class. Ass Pirate was one that I used. Of course, the picture it always conjures up for me is a big ol' bear sailing the seven seas in search of 'booty'...hehehe.

Honestly, I have no problem with the word and I use it occassionaly. If people are going to get their panties in a bundle over the use of the word queer, why aren't they up in arms about being called gay? Same thing. They are all words used to describe someone that is not 'normal'. So chill and embrace your queerness...lmao :P
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby stevestr » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:17 am

devilnuts wrote:Dabon...I made a whole list of them when I did my stand up routine for my writing class. Ass Pirate was one that I used. Of course, the picture it always conjures up for me is a big ol' bear sailing the seven seas in search of 'booty'...hehehe.

I would have loved to have been there for that class...

Honestly, I have no problem with the word and I use it occassionaly. If people are going to get their panties in a bundle over the use of the word queer, why aren't they up in arms about being called gay? Same thing. They are all words used to describe someone that is not 'normal'. So chill and embrace your queerness...lmao :P

I agree. Queer is probably one of the least offensive words I have heard recently. 8)

Besides, hasn't queer been desensitized recently with Queer as Folk being on TV so much?
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby blackmet » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:26 am

Eh, I use it. Not often, but I do.

And, yes, I will respond to something stupid with "That's Gay" or "Wow, that's really queer." I've never seen anyone get offended by it, except for one stupid 16 year old girl with braces who thought she was hot sh*t because she was on her High School GLBT club. :roll: I said "Oh. Yeah. Sorry. Whatever."

1 month later she was making posts on her livejournal saying "I HATE ALL THE GAY KIDS AT MY SCHOOL NOW BECAUSE THEY'RE STUPID AND COMPLETELY FAKE AND TOTAL JERKS!" After that, I was glad I lied. LOL
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:43 am

I don't like it because it means "strange". I'm not crazy about gay either, but at least that can mean "happy". The first time I heard it was in junior high school....as an insult. You queerbait! :roll:

I usually find terms like ass clown and fudgepacker to be funny. Go figure. The word "faggot" is more insulting, for some reason.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby rovie » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:03 am

I like words like 'gay', 'queer', 'poofta, 'faggot', though it took me a long time to embrace them.

I call myself gay or a poof more than the other terms as those were the words mostly used (in a bad way) when I was young.... along with 'bum chum'... but haven't quite warmed to the latter term yet.
love thy neighbour
rovie

Postby dabonsteed » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:16 pm

I think "poof" is funny because it's also the name of a chair:

So, to me, used as an insult it sounds like

"You *$#*@# CHAIR!"

It's like that time when I lived in Okinawa, Japan was walking down the street and some Okinawan teenager leaned out of a car, flipped me his RING finger and told me to go "fork" myself.

Spoon you too, buddy, Spoon you.
Switchfoot
dabonsteed

Postby devilnuts » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:48 pm

dabonsteed wrote:It's like that time when I lived in Okinawa, Japan was walking down the street and some Okinawan teenager leaned out of a car, flipped me his RING finger and told me to go "fork" myself.

Spoon you too, buddy, Spoon you.

Now, now...don't tell them to spoon themselves...I usually told them to go knife themselves...heheheh. I've love to see that. Hari Kari on a smaller scale...

Poof...I haven't heard that one in a while. My mom uses it once in a while (thanks to Bridget Jones's Diary...lmao).

I just don't get why some people get so offended by those words. That's why people continue to use them. As long as they can strike a nerve, they will continue doing it. That's why I could really care less and often use them myself...lol.
devilnuts

Postby rye1967 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:28 pm

'Queer' is often used as a pejoritive term, like 'faggot', so I don't like it and dont consider myself queer. 'Gay' of course, is also sometimes used as an insult by kids, but is the accepted general desciptive term.

A police commander in Wales recently apologised for using the term 'queer' and was considered for disciplinary action.

Although I applaud attempts to colonise the word they have been going on for years and have not succeeded.
rye1967

Postby dabonsteed » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:35 pm

these things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Switchfoot
dabonsteed

Postby devilnuts » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:31 pm

dabonsteed wrote:these things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Well, if the emporer would have offered overtime, it could have been...:P
devilnuts

Postby Triad » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:58 pm

Whatever word that "get's under our skins" is going to be the word that controls us. Embracing them all will neutralize them all.

Poof :?: Poof :?: Now that one really baffles me. Is it British?
Triad

Postby Smitty » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:36 pm

Definitions of Poof on the Web:

An object generated when another object is destroyed; for example, a cloud of dust or sparkles.
worldfoundry.org/wfwiki/index.php/DocumentationGlossary

sissy or gay man.
www.stensrude.com/Oz.html

fagot: offensive terms for an openly homosexual man
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I understand what you are saying, Triad. But we have established recently that the W word and the N word are unacceptable. I would not want to tell those groups to embrace the terms.

I've used 'queer', 'fag/faggot' and 'homo' here only (trying to get with it). Straights don't call me those words without being called on it.
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby Triad » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:09 pm

Yes, yes, yes to all you have said. Those who have ignored the message about W and N still use them to control and it works because it continues to ignite a defensive reaction.

Reacting to homophobic slurs delivers the homo up into the control of the homophobe - he wants a defensive reaction and the homo obliges.
Triad

Postby Smitty » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:00 pm

Triad wrote:Reacting to homophobic slurs delivers the homo up into the control of the homophobe - he wants a defensive reaction and the homo obliges.

Ah, but it is not necessary to react. We have the ability to defuse those words and respond rationally.
Smitty

Postby Triad » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:21 pm

You have that ability, I don't.
Triad

Postby Smitty » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:48 pm

Triad wrote:You have that ability, I don't.

Yes you do, you just don't recognize it yet. If I was there, we could drill it. (Get your mind out of the gutter. :P ) I would call you names until it didn't phase you anymore. It works. You could do it with a friend. (Get your mind out of the gutter. :P )
Smitty

Postby Triad » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:29 pm

Smitty wrote:

I've used 'queer', 'fag/faggot' and 'homo' here only (trying to get with it). Straights don't call me those words without being called on it.

Smitty, your logic does not wash. I just quoted one of your recent posts on the subject. If straights get "called" [by you for homophobic slurs], you have been phased and you verbalize a retort [isn't that what "getting called" means?]. If it does not phase me anymore then I will not defensively respond, which I do not!

Shrillness aside, what are you trying to tell me [or the world]?
Last edited by Triad on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Triad

Next

Return to Straight Acting Men