Are Bears Straight Acting?

Discussion on what it means to be straight acting, whether it's good, bad or indifferent.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface

Are Bears Straight Acting?

Postby Cachasa » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:16 am

I was wondering I was talking to a friend of mine, who's a cub. He said that Bears and Cubs see and make a distinction between Bears/Cubs and "those other gay guys that are kind of like us but aren't really us." i.e. Straight acting guys.

Also given the iconic image of a Bear in gay culture are the really SA?

I would guess that most bears identify as SA but not all SA guys are Bears or part of that community.

I'm not, I'd have to gain a few pounds 20lbs and learn to ride a motorcycle (jokes)
Cachasa

Postby olywaguy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am

I believe a bear is defined as someone who is hairy and they tend to be kind of husky.

Guys who are slim and hairy are called otters I believe.

Whatever you look like, a guy is masculine if he behaves in that manner and a guy is effeminate if he behaves in that manner. It doesn't have anything to do with the way you look.

There are cubs/bears that are masculine and there are cubs/bears that are effeminate. Its just who they are.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Sportsguy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:21 am

I have a friend who has the classic 'bear' look. He is anything but masculine most of the time. :D
Sportsguy

Postby doctor dan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:18 am

i have known lots of bears who are übermasculine-looking. then they open their mouths and a purse falls out.
doctor dan

Postby chidiver » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:22 am

I agree, the term, “Bear” pretty much just means fat and harry. I would image that their, "masculinityness" is pretty much the same as any other part of the gay community.
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Tygrrrr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:01 pm

doctor dan wrote:i have known lots of bears who are übermasculine-looking. then they open their mouths and a purse falls out.

Agreed. I've met several of them. I met one guy online, that when I met him in person, thought he was going to put on a cabaret show. :lol: :shock: If his wrist were to flit around anymore, his hand would have fallen off. Every other word out of is mouth was either "Darling" or "Fabulous". He told me he owned his own business. I found it it's a flower shop.

This all goes to show that just because you look masculine, doesn't make you "straight acting".

I've been called a cub, a bear, and a pocket bear. I don't butch myself up, but have found I'm too butch for some and too fem for others.
Change you can believe in.

Translation - Pocket change is all you'll have left. You can believe in that!
Tygrrrr

Postby foxeyes2 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Winnie The Pooh is a bit light in the loafers but Yogi on the other hand is kinda butch
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Neither of them can top Gentle Ben. . . unless they ask him nice.
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby Screamer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:37 pm

What about the bear that ate Timothy Treadwell?

This doesn't answer anyone's question, but some people take the "bear" thing way too seriously... that's all
"I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me"
Screamer

Postby chidiver » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Screamer wrote:What about the bear that ate Timothy Treadwell?

At least it ended Timmy's self admitted addiction to the Va-jay-jay. :roll:
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:45 pm

chidiver wrote:I agree, the term, “Bear” pretty much just means fat and harry. I would image that their, "masculinityness" is pretty much the same as any other part of the gay community.

No, No, No. A fat bear is just a fat guy. A bear has to be cute and cuddly. Cute and cuddly implies reasonable proportions.

The really "big" bears are just lazy and obese dudes that stole the label.
matinee

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:03 am

It's easier to drive to the zoo and buy a t-shirt with a bear on it than to get off one's lazy ass and go for a walk.
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby Timmybear » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:09 am

matinee wrote:
chidiver wrote:I agree, the term, “Bear” pretty much just means fat and harry. I would image that their, "masculinityness" is pretty much the same as any other part of the gay community.

No, No, No. A fat bear is just a fat guy. A bear has to be cute and cuddly. Cute and cuddly implies reasonable proportions.

Reasonable to whom? Cute and cuddly to whom? Are these universal,agreed-upon qualities? Just wondering...
Timmybear

Postby chidiver » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 am

matinee wrote:No, No, No. A fat bear is just a fat guy. A bear has to be cute and cuddly. Cute and cuddly implies reasonable proportions.

The cute and cuddly ones are a minority, however you seem to have a higher percentage of them north of the border. I've recently noticed "bears" who have mastered the head and shoulders profile shot that disguises the fact that they weigh 350 pounds.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Tygrrrr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:Neither of them can top Gentle Ben. . . unless they ask him nice.

I dunno. I heard that Gentle Ben is a bottom bear. :lol:
Change you can believe in.

Translation - Pocket change is all you'll have left. You can believe in that!
Tygrrrr

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:35 am

He claims it was just that one time in college, and he was really drunk.
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby JakeMIke » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:45 am

I'm starting to become suspicious of how Boo-Boo got his name!

I think Yogi gave it to him (double entendre alert!).
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby Screamer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:He claims it was just that one time in college, and he was really drunk.

That excuse reminds me of a Dead Kennedys song. (which suggests why I assume a guy using this line is lying... and that he liked it)
"I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me"
Screamer

Postby crankycurmudgeon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:32 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:He claims it was just that one time in college, and he was really drunk.

And Smokey is not talking about it either.
Like a bad penny, some things just keep coming back.
crankycurmudgeon

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:27 am

Screamer wrote:That excuse reminds me of a Dead Kennedys song. (which suggests why I assume a guy using this line is lying... and that he liked it)

Which one? I was a DK fan back in the day.
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby Cachasa » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:31 pm

matinee wrote:

Maybe I should go on over to Boots and Saddles and see if I can find you. Maybe say, "hi". haha

That'd be funny if it weren't so unbelievably creepy of me to do something like that. lol
Cachasa

Return to Straight Acting Men